Resistant Defenses

CoreGoon

So I posted a question on the Rules Questions forum and apparently had to get a moderator approval for the thread to appear. Don't know how many days that usually takes but I'm tired of waiting, so here I go again, elsewhere:

When taking the Resistant Advantage on your Physical or Energy Defense, do you modify the cost of the Characteristic the same way you would modify the cost of applying an Advantage to a Power?

I.e.

Physical Defense of 10 costs 8 points. Add the Resistant Advantage (+1/2) and you multiply the entire cost of the Characteristic (including the 2 free ranks) by 1,5 getting 15, then subtract the two free ranks and you end up with a total cost of 13 for the entire thing.

Essentially paying 13 to get a normal and Resistant Physical Defense of 10.

Is this correct?

Re: Resistant Defenses

Since nobody else felt like answering, I'll say yes. If you wanted to make all 10 PD resistant, you multiplied the cost of the FULL characteristic (in this case, 10 pts for 10 PD) by the cost of the advantage (in this case, Resistant, × 1/2) to get what the cost of the advantage will cost you (in this case, 5 pts). With the 8 pts that you already paid to have 10 PD, it would cost you 13 pts total to have 10 rPD.

Hope this helps.

So I posted a question on the Rules Questions forum and apparently had to get a moderator approval for the thread to appear. Don't know how many days that usually takes but I'm tired of waiting' date=' so here I go again, elsewhere:[/quote']

I had a simlar problem when I first started out. I think this is to stop Spammers and such. You shouldn't have anymore problems after you have posted 10 times anywhere except non-gaming discussion. Afterwards, you can edit your profile and post an image to use as your avatar on the boards.

Anyway, welcome to the boards CoreGoon

Yeah, apparently there's been a problem with spammers lately and the moderator(s?) were a bit busy. Both my threads got posted now.

Don't know how active I'll be, but I guess I might have a few questions in the coming time. I'll be joining a Champions campaign come fall, and I've never looked at this system before.

Steve responded in my other thread, and for a moment I though I had gotten two different answers, buuut that was just me being slow again. :P

Thanks for the clarification and the welcome! :)

Isn't this exactly what the power Damage Resistance does? You don't buy a Naked Advantage on your PD' date=' it is already built as the Damage Resistance power, which is 1 CP per two points of defense made resistant.[/quote']

Or did this change in 6E as well?

Yes, this changed in 6e. "Resistant" is now an Advantage.

Which IMO is kind of broken

Think about it, why would you ever buy the Resistant Protection power (AKA Armor) with an advatage on it, when you can buy PD/ED with resistant, and the advantages on it.

Which IMO is kind of broken

Think about it, why would you ever buy the Resistant Protection power (AKA Armor) with an advatage on it, when you can buy PD/ED with resistant, and the advantages on it.

A better question is why we kept a Resistant Protection power (Armor; Foce Field if it costs END; what have you) when this could have simply been an example of Characteristics as a Power.

Armor: +6 PD/+6 ED, Resistant (+1/2), OIF Armored Suit (-1/2), 12 real points

Force Field: +15 PD/+15 ED, Resistant (+1/2), Costs END (-1/2), Visible (-1/4) 26 real points

Effortless Force Field: +15 PD/+15 ED, Resistant (+1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Visible (-1/4) 30 real points

A better question is why we kept a Resistant Protection power (Armor; Foce Field if it costs END; what have you) when this could have simply been an example of Characteristics as a Power.

I would imagine for Baby Steps. We've become accustomed to FF and Armour and Resistant Defense. They've been combined into a single power.

I should point out that Resistant Protection is a one-stop-shopping for defenses that will allow you to purchase PD, ED, Mental, Power and Flash defense. All in one place.

So I guess simplicity and brevity?

Resistant Protection already replaces Armor and Force Field; the Resistant Advantage replaces Damage Resistance. The new Damage Reduction brings the number of available main defensive Powers back to the same number, and I'd venture a reason for having a certain number of those (like keeping Resistant Protection separate from the Resistant Advantage) is how that interacts with Adjustment Powers; fewer ways to buy defenses makes Adjustment Powers more powerful.

It may also be a bit clearer to purchase Resistant Protection with Modifiers, especially Limitations such as Costs END, rather than purchasing PD/ED multiple times with Resistant and different modifiers, not to mention purchasing the Naked Advantage Resistant for PD/ED with Modifiers.

It may also be a bit clearer to purchase Resistant Protection with Modifiers' date=' especially Limitations such as Costs END, rather than purchasing PD/ED multiple times with Resistant and different modifiers, not to mention purchasing the Naked Advantage Resistant for PD/ED with Modifiers.[/quote']

That's true. Putting Costs End on just the Resistant Naked Advantage would require the spending of End to keep the PD/ED Resistant, not for the whole defense. For Limiting PD/ED with Resistant on them, applying Costs End would result in the same prices as putting Costs End on Resistant Protection. It's Advantages that are going to result in different costs, not Limitations. That's why I've always been in favor of multiplicative Advantages (and Limitations). If putting Resistant (+X) on PD with a Base Cost of N is going to bring it right up in line with the same amount of Resistant Protection PD with Base Cost M, then they should both have an Active Cost of N*X=M in my opinion, and putting Hardened (+Y) on each of them should equal N*X*Y = (N*X)*Y = M*Y.