A Variant Origin for Elves (version 3)

AlHazred

HOW THE ELVES CAME TO BE

Much like the other Variant Origin For Elves articles started by Susano (here and here), this is an origin I've been playing around with.

"Alongside the Mortal Realm are other Realms of Existence: the Land of the Dead (or Underworld), the Realms of the Gods, and Faerie. This last one is similar to our world, but infused with faerie-stuff, which some believe is the essence of magic and creativity. The faerie-stuff has imbued the residents of the lands of Faerie with strange powers and thoughts. The Men of these Realms have become warped or changed by the infusion of faerie-stuff until they now barely resemble True Men at all.

"The denizens of Faerie have traveled to the Mortal Realm on many occasions for sport or their own dark entertainments - there are paths between the Realms that anyone can take, provided they know where (and when, and how) to look. It is said, for instance, that if you pluck a blade of grass from Old Oak Hill, hold it taut between your fingers, and use it to whistle a particular tune, the hill seems to open up and reveal a magical castle surrounded by dancing lights. Others know that if you walk through the cemetery outside Featherstoneshaugh Cathedral, pouring a dollop of wine over the tombstone of all those who died on a Friday the 13th, you will find yourself in a dark meadow, surrounded by immense tombs and dead trees that mumble and plot.

"Many denizens of Faerie who have visited the Mortal Realm have had relations with mortals. The results of these unions are fey, half-stolid-mortal and half-chaotic-outsider. Many (mostly those of hideous visage) are driven from their homes by frightened parents; most commonly, these offspring are far larger or shorter than the human norm, or possess hideous facial features or odd powers. Others (of beauteous mien) are accepted and may achieve high rank and renown, especially if they are able to keep their heritage hidden.

"The kingdom of Arvandale is home to a large number of people of this Faerie heritage, claiming their descent from thousands of quiet infusions of faerie-stuff into the bloodlines of Men. They call themselves ælfen, but we name them Elfs, or halflings (because they are half each of two worlds) or madlings (because their unbounded chaotic creativity frequently results in pain and suffering for the mortals around them); the shorter Elfs are frequently called Dwarfs, Boggins, or Gnomes, while the larger are termed Ogres, Trolls, or Giants. They are ruled by a beautiful people of class and distinction. But do not be fooled! Hidden behind the facade are hideous creatures, mutant half-breeds that plot malignancies upon Mankind!

"Over time, faerie-stuff is replaced in the body of one of these Elfs by dross, which is their word for mundane stuffs; such an Elf is said by his brethren to have become "heavy." As the faerie-stuff is replaced, the Elf becomes dull and the spark of magic they had heretofore possessed fades. Ultimately, the Elf becomes too "heavy" with earth-stuff and is ejected from the community. Disconsolate, these individuals frequently wander the countryside, loathe to exercise their fading magic; many make livings in carnivals or among gypsies. The children of such "fallen Elfs" are frequently sensitive to the touch of magic and become renowned wizards or witches."

Re: A Variant Origin for Elves (version 3)

I didn't mean to imply that they were specific, or that mine was. I'm playing around with it for my campaign as an origin for some of the elves. But I have portals to other planes, and Tolkienic Elves have arrived there as well. By ship, of course.

Starship even. This a valid interpretation (IMO only!) even for the Elves in the Silmarillion and LotR, since when they are leaving Middle-Earth their ships carry them beyond "the circles of the world", since Eldamar was sundered from the World during the cataclysm that sunk Numenor. Not that Tolkien would have intended it to mean that, of course. It's just my warped and wacky mind at work.

Starship even. This a valid interpretation (IMO only!) even for the Elves in the Silmarillion and LotR' date=' since when they are leaving Middle-Earth their ships carry them beyond "the circles of the world", since Eldamar was sundered from the World during the cataclysm that sunk Numenor. Not that Tolkien would have intended it to mean that, of course. It's just my warped and wacky mind at work.[/quote']

Oooh... good point. I never looked at it like that...

of course ElfQuest has its own elven origin - it also uses a spaceship

I think that's it's more of a Dimensional ship than an actually Starship. IIRC it moves between differing realities and times

I'm pretty sure the elves in ElfQuest are from some other dimension.
both the world they come from and the world they landed upon are spherical worlds. Later spinoffs indicate that at least the world of two moons exist in a space not unlike ours. The ship that brought them here did "Jump" there, but I saw it more like a SF Jump (which although does involve other dimensions, probably would not be described as a dimensional craft)

both the world they come from and the world they landed upon are spherical worlds. Later spinoffs indicate that at least the world of two moons exist in a space not unlike ours. The ship that brought them here did "Jump" there' date=' but I saw it more like a SF Jump (which although does involve other dimensions, probably would not be described as a dimensional craft)[/quote']

Ah... I see. I never read that far into the series. I stopped after the initial 20 issues (after the Wolf-Riders met the Go-Backs up north and fought the trolls.)

Err.. seeing as people seem to like AlHazred's stuff here... anyone have any opinions on what I posted?

Err.. seeing as people seem to like AlHazred's stuff here... anyone have any opinions on what I posted?

Well, they can't all be diamonds. : ). J/k. I actually really enjoyed your second option posted. I was going to make comment on it but I got enveloped in reading your later posts and then this thread. Too bad I can't rep you.

La Rose.

Well, they can't all be diamonds. : ). J/k. I actually really enjoyed your second option posted. I was going to make comment on it but I got enveloped in reading your later posts and then this thread. Too bad I can't rep you.

La Rose.

It's just my insecurity in my work raising it's ugly head. No one comments and I wonder... did it suck? Did it scare people? Did no one really care? Or was it sooo awesome, no one can think of anything to say? (^_^)

It's just my insecurity in my work raising it's ugly head. No one comments and I wonder... did it suck? Did it scare people? Did no one really care? Or was it sooo awesome' date=' no one can think of anything to say? (^_^)[/quote']

Lets face it, Susano, more often than not it is the last option when it comes to your work. : ).

La Rose.

Lets face it, Susano, more often than not it is the last option when it comes to your work. : ).

La Rose.

You say the nicest things.

And... *sigh* I can't rep you either.

I will point out that something like 80% of the replies have absolutely nothing to do with my origin bit, but rather are tangential discussion of ElfQuest, the RPG of which I own but I've never read any of the comics. The RPG is... serviceable... but it doesn't cover the entire run of stuff, just the earlier bits; I've been told some of the stuff in it has been superseded by later issues. Much like all other things we port here. :)

No one comments and I wonder... did it suck? Did it scare people? Did no one really care? Or was it sooo awesome' date=' no one can think of anything to say?[/quote']Welcome to my world. Something upwards of 50% of the stuff I make, nobody comments on. Then I check my rep and see three or four reps on one post. Then I check the download statistics and see it's been downloaded 20 or 30 times.

Ultimately, I figure it's like it goes with writers. 90% of writers hear little about their non-NYT-bestseller book -- maybe a couple of reviews in small specialty periodicals and a couple of blog posts. Then they go to a book signing and, lo and behold, they've got a line in the bookstore! Sure, it's not out the door and down the block, but there are some twenty to thirty people taking their lunch hour to get a book signed and meet the author! It's a huge Ego boost (I figure 2 or 3d6 easily) and makes it worthwhile. Which is why I always go around to the book signing table if it's got an opening at the bookstore; I like the idea of helping to make someone's day.