Wind Protection

Nope, not charcoal underpant linings.

Hello.

As my pcs adapt their characters to 6th (which is very enjoyable, so far) our Air/Wind-themed hero has been thinking about an alternative to his old whirling vortex of wind Force Wall - not least because it always seemed wrongish that it seemed like a 'shell' of air which fell apart if breached. Plus Barrier's defined even solidly wall-ish.

He's come up with the idea of Damage Negation, Costs End, Usable By Nearby - with Side Effects (minuses to Hearing Per and ranged OCV). So he, and those near him, are buffeted by semi-sentient winds which compromise the effectiveness of attackers (slowing/deflecting missiles, wrestling/confronting incoming punches, etc). I like it, but wondered if the Assembled Wisdom Of The Boards could see any problems with it.

Of course, this doesn't allow him his old englobing schtick, but opens up other possibilities.. like he can protect himself during move-throughs.

Also, I'm revising all my special effects interaction thoughts for the campaign, so now need to decide whether Air/Wind's lack of effect on light, radiation, etc is balanced with being able to be effective vs. gas/smoke, regardless of how they're defined as powers. It's that old effects trumping power/power trumping fx thing.

Any thoughts (and thoughts about handling special effects, or other wind-related powers) much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ned

Re: Wind Protection

I would offer two suggestions. First, the Damage Negation is good, but instead of defining it vs. PD or ED, define it vs. Wind-deflectable attacks. Then the GM decides if the attack is affected. Mostly you are looking at physical effects, but the GM might rule that a punch from someone with Density Increase won't be affected, or that spent uranium bullets are heavy and fast enough not to be affected. But then a nominally energy-based flame attack might very well be deflected by wind. Now you have the sfx defining how the power works rather than having both physical and energy Damage Negation and lots of limitations to make it play right. This is kind of like taking Damage Negation vs. Magic; the damage vector is just alternately defined.

Let me also throw out a wind shield protection power I have used. Basically it is +3 DCV vs. wind-deflectable attacks linked to a 5d6 Blast vs. PD (wind) Damage Shield, Double Knockback. First off, this make the character hard to hit initially. The Blast isn't much damage-wise (except to low-level thugs) but it makes melee with the protected character very difficult because most attackers will get tossed around almost every time they try to throw a punch.

Thanks for your thoughts, folk.

I've passed on the ideas to the player to have a think about. I particularly like the Dbl Kb Damage Shield, perhaps done as a small Area Of Effect, Uncontrolled for tornadoes...

I've started a new thread about Special Effects, to broaden the discussion into to other fx. I've enough time before I get to play again to have a good think about how well defined I want these things to be...

Cheers,

Ned

Nope, not charcoal underpant linings.

Hello.

As my pcs adapt their characters to 6th (which is very enjoyable, so far) our Air/Wind-themed hero has been thinking about an alternative to his old whirling vortex of wind Force Wall - not least because it always seemed wrongish that it seemed like a 'shell' of air which fell apart if breached. Plus Barrier's defined even solidly wall-ish.

He's come up with the idea of Damage Negation, Costs End, Usable By Nearby - with Side Effects (minuses to Hearing Per and ranged OCV). So he, and those near him, are buffeted by semi-sentient winds which compromise the effectiveness of attackers (slowing/deflecting missiles, wrestling/confronting incoming punches, etc). I like it, but wondered if the Assembled Wisdom Of The Boards could see any problems with it.

Of course, this doesn't allow him his old englobing schtick, but opens up other possibilities.. like he can protect himself during move-throughs.

Also, I'm revising all my special effects interaction thoughts for the campaign, so now need to decide whether Air/Wind's lack of effect on light, radiation, etc is balanced with being able to be effective vs. gas/smoke, regardless of how they're defined as powers. It's that old effects trumping power/power trumping fx thing.

Any thoughts (and thoughts about handling special effects, or other wind-related powers) much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ned

Sounds good to me...though can't he build a barrier with 1 Bod? If so it can retain the whole Force walley feel.......

Thanks for your thoughts, folk.

I've passed on the ideas to the player to have a think about. I particularly like the Dbl Kb Damage Shield, perhaps done as a small Area Of Effect, Uncontrolled for tornadoes...

I've started a new thread about Special Effects, to broaden the discussion into to other fx. I've enough time before I get to play again to have a good think about how well defined I want these things to be...

Cheers,

Ned

De nada