Support Your Local Collie (whiny)

CrosshairCollie

Here's the short form. I keep having an idea for a game. HERO is really the only system it will work with of the ones I have available and like.

The problems are ...

1. I'm somewhat disenchanted with HERO's complexity these days. I blame my illness mostly; I've lost interest in a lot of things. I used to just sit around and build characters, now I find myself looking at HERO characters with a general feeling of dread.

2. Of the other 4 people in the gaming group, nobody else really knows how to run HERO, and moreover, nobody really wants to learn the system even from the player standpoint. This means that I have to answer every little niggling question from A to Z, often the same question in the same session. Even on those occasions when my wife would run it, everybody would look to me for answers (even on things that were pure GM judgment calls), so even when I was just playing it, i was running it. I suspect this also contributed to a sense of burnout.

So, to make a long story short (TOO LATE!), how do I get back into the swing of things?

Re: Support Your Local Collie (whiny)

Burnout is like writers block. You either sit down and work through it or it ruins you. My suggestion is to pick some kind of idea and use 50 point characters to play it out. Don't plan it. Just play.

CES

Yeah, nothing like a silly one-shot with low-levels characters to get the juices flowing and popcorn popping. One of my favorite HERO games at a con was set up as "Who Wants To Be a Superhero?" with characters that had maybe not the best powers in the world.

I agree that a silly one shot might help you. (I suffer from burnout myself; convention games help me).

Usually I pick a book I've wanted to try, pick a movie in that genre to swipe the plot and structure, and go with it.

So, if you have Lucha Hero say, you might grab the Luchadores from the back (update them to 6th or not), watch a Lucha movie from the bibliography, simplify it and write it up as an adventure, and give it a one shot.

Maybe you'll want to run a campaign in your new setting, maybe you won't. It'll at least be one night of fun gaming.

Of course, you could go really old school. Grab a villain team, have them knock over a bank, and let PCs pulled from the back of a book or from a website try to stop them.

Play something else. That's right. You heard me. Variety is the spice of life. For superheroes, I always use Hero. For fantasy, D+D 3.5 or Pathfinder. Heck, I even play Rifts. I strongly recommend going to another system for a touch. I'm having a touch of burnout now, considering how long it's taking me to get King of the Mountain right, but I made a promise and it needs to be done by October 31, so away I plug.

Play something else. That's right. You heard me. Variety is the spice of life. For superheroes' date=' I always use Hero. For fantasy, D+D 3.5 or Pathfinder. Heck, I even play Rifts. I strongly recommend going to another system for a touch. I'm having a touch of burnout now, considering how long it's taking me to get King of the Mountain right, but I made a promise and it needs to be done by October 31, so away I plug.[/quote']

thinkikg on that point have you tried the revied lone wolf RPG?

Play something else. That's right. You heard me. Variety is the spice of life. For superheroes' date=' I always use Hero. For fantasy, D+D 3.5 or Pathfinder. Heck, I even play Rifts. I strongly recommend going to another system for a touch. I'm having a touch of burnout now, considering how long it's taking me to get King of the Mountain right, but I made a promise and it needs to be done by October 31, so away I plug.[/quote']

Actually, I play D&D 4e fairly regularly (I say fairly because things have gotten kind of weird with everybody's schedule in the group and we haven't played anything lately). Someone else in the group has pondered running a Star Wars game, but he's been saying he might for so long that I suspect it'll never happen.