WWII Hero

tenebre

Re: WWII Hero

there is a 6th ed golden age of champions in the works by Darren(not on the production list)

I have my copies of Golden age of Champions(2nd and 4th editions)

the 2nd edition has a larger list of equipment than 4th edition

you might want to look for ShadowHawks vehicular insanity threads

Most of the Pulp Hero stuff will go straight over......plus, Surbooks stuff has a pile of good stuff on it for some reason, not sure why. For vehicles this spot is a good start.

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsvehicles/vehicle.html

Then the King Kong stuff for even more fun. :D

~Rex

I do have unknown eagles, but i dont particularly agree with several of their builds, especially considering bullets mass/velocity compared with seemingly random damage assignments. :-P

Pulp Hero, surbrooks site, and dark champions have given me enough data to go on to get the campaign up and running.

Most of the Pulp Hero stuff will go straight over......plus, Surbooks stuff has a pile of good stuff on it for some reason, not sure why. For vehicles this spot is a good start.

~Rex

A lot of the vehicles were sent to me.

I'm slowly building a Second World War resource pack at the moment, but it's nowhere near finished yet. I'm adding to it as and when, but I'm really preparing it for the campaign AFTER next, so I'm in no great hurry. (Next campaign is Sengoku-era ninjas, so no crossover with the planned Thule Society occult zombie fest).

My rough worksheet, at least initially, is...

German small arms

• MP28
  • MP40 (aka Schmeisser) - done
  • Mauser Karabiner 98k - done
  • Luger P08 - done
  • Walther P38
  • Mauser Schnellfeuer (aka M1932) - done

German support weapons

• MG34
  • FG42
  • MG42 (aka Spandau)
  • Panzershreck
  • Flammenwerfe 41
  • Steilhandgranate

British small arms

• Webley No IV - done
  • Lee-Enfield No 4 - done
  • Lanchester Mk 1 (use same stats as MP28)
  • Sten Mk II

British support weapons

• Lewis Mk I LMG
  • Bren Mk II LMG
  • Vickers Mk I MMG
  • PIAT
  • No. 36 Grenade (Mills Bomb)
  • Lifebuoy Mk I flamethrower

British special weapons

• Welrod pistol

German vehicles

• BMW R75 motorcycle/sidecar
  • Kubelwagen
  • Steyr 1500 car
  • Blitz truck
  • A tank (probably a Panzer IV, but will depend on when and where I actually set the game)
  • Maybe a Bf109 or a Stuka for if I'm feeling really nasty (or they're trouncing the opposition faster than I expected)

Since I intend the players to be operating behind enemy lines, Allied vehicles are not immediately necessary. However, I am extremely tempted to find a use for my Donald Sutherland impersonation, so they may just find a Sherman and its crew as allies. A Sherman can give you a nice edge. (You should hear my other Donald Sutherland impersonation.)

However, if that's the case, then the game pretty much has to be set after the Americans have entered the war, so American weapons may be needed.

Now the Interweb has let me sluice down its pipes once more, here's the German small arms I've statted so far. The eventual idea is for each to have a description/history like the Schnellfeuer, and for each to be illustrated - for presentation purposes, I plan to hand players 'weapons cards' as they find or otherwise acquire new guns.

(Yes, to answer an obvious question, I am hoping to attract some video gamers to the tabletop. No, I'm not directly planning Wolfenstein, though the source ideas are similar. I'm also trying to avoid statting weapons covered in Pulp Hero, though some are similar - the Schnellfeuer being an autofire version of the C96, and the K98k being similar to the longer-barelled G98.)

MP40: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (35 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 9-13 (13; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), 32 Charges (+1/4)

Mauser Karabiner 98k (Total: 51 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (50 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 14-18 (14; -3/4), 5 Charges (-3/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +1 vs. range with to offset a specific negative OCV modifier with any single attack; OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1)

Luger P-08: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1 (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum 4-8 (8; -1/4), Beam (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 6) plus +1 with any single attack (2 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1)

Mauser M1932 Schnellfeuer: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (35 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 14-18 (14; -3/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), 20 Charges (+1/4)

The Mauser Schnellfeuer (unofficially known as the Mauser M1932) is a fully automatic variation of the C96 'Broomhandle' Mauser.

Like its predecessors, it uses Mauser 7.63mm rounds, which achieve a muzzle velocity of 425m.s (1,394fps) and its wooden holster doubles as a detachable stock. It replaces the C96's internal magazine with a 10- or 20-round detachable box magazine.

The weapon has selective fire. In fully automatic mode its rate of fire is about 900 rounds per minute (15 rounds per second).

Production began in 1932 and conintued to 1936. The weapon was primarily intended for export to China, but was also used by both sides in the Spanish Civil War. Around 8,000 were bought by the Luftwaffe during the Second World War, and small numbers by the Wehrmacht, who designated it the M712. It saw service with the Fallschirmjaeger (paratroops), and some may also have found service with the Waffen-SS.

Not at all a nitpick or anything, but I'd recommend making all guns that actually use a clip or magazine or drum to be "1 clip of X Recoverable Charges, Recoverable under limited circumstances" to simulate that you can find ammo in the field, on occasion. And to represent that you can carry more than one clip. Doesn't matter much, since you aren't paying points for guns in most cases, but that would make them easier to implement in campaigns where one might need to know the specific real cost.

Not a resource, but an opinion. When running war-themed games I've found its best to do one of the following: have the PCs be a part of an irregular unit, like an OSS detachment, or go with the foxhole perspective. In the latter sense I mean, make it about a tight knit squad with finite objectives in the broader fighting. The former is usu., but not always, easier in a character driven game. Another option is to pick a unit that gets some leave so you can have some non-combat intrigue or character stories pop-up. Black Sheep Squadron comes to mind.

• 2 months later...

~Rex

Excellent link! Thanks!