What's your favorite Hero Designer Export format?

Hyper-Man

I guess I should have added "for sharing characters on the forums" to the thread title.

For overall ease of use (including printing) I still like the Print to PDF option but I don't like that it leaves out any "Notes" added to a character's abilities.

For online viewing I prefer HTML exports that include color in the power sections. I also prefer non-fixed width output but if it's a choice between color emphasis or non-fixed width I'll take the color. Killer Shrike's export comes really close but it has some other quirks I don't like.

Most of the RTF exports I've tried to use in the past only reduce the number of printed pages by 1 vs. a HTML export when it's a power heavy character so it really comes down to which style you prefer visually.

I just use one of the txt templates for posting here. They are all very mimimal which works great for posting here.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I should have added "for sharing characters on the forums" to the thread title.

For overall ease of use (including printing) I still like the Print to PDF option but I don't like that it leaves out any "Notes" added to a character's abilities.

For online viewing I prefer HTML exports that include color in the power sections. I also prefer non-fixed width output but if it's a choice between color emphasis or non-fixed width I'll take the color. Killer Shrike's export comes really close but it has some other quirks I don't like.

Most of the RTF exports I've tried to use in the past only reduce the number of printed pages by 1 vs. a HTML export when it's a power heavy character so it really comes down to which style you prefer visually.

My preferences remain the same :)

• 2 weeks later...

Which export would that be? I've got a bunch.

And what quirks do you mean?

This is my new favorite:

example

I found the export recently in the Hero Designer Vault. I don't know who uploaded it but it's one of the nicest ones I've seen.

Here's the text from the Vault entry:

The Ultimate 6ed Character Sheet

Uploaded: Friday, April 5, 2013

HERO System Sixth Edition

Type: Single Character

File Extensions: HTML, HTM

This format has the "look and feel" of the Default character sheet, but has the following differences:

*Collates all combat information including Martial Maneuvers in a special page block.

*Powers, Equipment, Talents, Martial Arts, Skills, Perks, and Complications are in a wider single column format.

*Moves picture to right of stats, with Appearance on same page.

*Particularly favors players with lots of Powers, Martial Arts, descriptive Skills, Perks or Talents.

*Split into 4 pages for cleaner printing.

*Added math functions to determine proper NC movement for leaping.

*Added new combat maneuvers and edited changes from 6ed.

*Added -Attacks- derived from power information to combat page.

*Added OMCV and DMCV information and updated characteristics.

*Many changes made to improve legibility and layout.

*The recommended picture size: 288px wide. The image should be anywhere from 352px to 442px tall.

The file " herologo.png " needs to be included in same directory as the export file.

If the character has an image associated with it and you want to have that image included in the HTML output, you will need to save that image into the same directory as the HTML file when you export (the export wizard will prompt you to save the image). The recommended picture size: 288px wide. The image should be anywhere from 352px to 442px tall.

--Modified from the Default character sheet by desaturated May 2010, again in August 2011 with support for 6th Ed, again in January 2013 for finishing touches and bug fixes

Other Files:herologo.png

Downloads: 20

That's a fun sheet layout.

Of particular interest to me, I didn't realize there was a export tag to separate out skill rolls (14-) from the skill itself.

I do custom html exports for each of the sub-sites on killershrike.com to match the general look and feel or concept of the subsite the characters pertain to.

The most recent one is a re-vamp of the Here There Be Monsters export template to match the new look and feel of the Here There Be Monsters site.

Characters exported using it look like this:

New Export Format Example

Some features:

Hit Location sectional defenses are automatically filled in via javascript.

The " All Profile Abilities Resources Bio Combat " links across the top allow "paging" across the sections, which helps me when I run face to face games off my laptop.

It also allows players to control which sheets they are printing so that after a character update they can avoid re-printing a page that hasn't changed (for instance, the combat info page doesn't change that often).

The screen version of the Combat info page contains type in fields for current endurance, stun, and body. This helps me when I run face to face games off my laptop as I dont have to maintain a separate track of damage / end on paper. I just put each character's tab in speed order in the browser and flip between tabs, tracking damage and endurance as necessary in the input boxes. The boxes are hidden on the print version.

Not part of the export template per se, but leveraging hero designer's ability to embed html in items and have them show up in the export, I'm able to further customize as necessary, such as adding links to specific content hosted on my site or others, adding some custom inputs to track charges if I want, and so forth.

The template also supports overriding some of the header labels and colors on a character-by-character basis by utilizing one of the optional "Notes" tabs for a character that can be turned on in HeroDesigner to embed override values into the export, though I rarely use the feature for HtbM (it's more of a superheroic thing to personalize a superhero with a lot of style).

Anyway, the link for the hde is at the upper right of this page:

http://www.killershrike.com/HereThereBeMonsters/Paradigm_Starting.aspx

To Killer Shrike

re: quirks

I was referring to your 6e export that I found here:

http://www.killershrike.info/HERODesignerSupport.ashx

It doesn't include Common Limitations next to Lists the same way that it does for Frameworks which defeats one of the main benefits of using Lists in the first place.

Wonder Woman KS

This one does show the Common Limitations next to the List names.

Wonder Woman

I also like the extra color highlights for notes and power descriptions as well.

It's not that I dislike yours. I just like this other one a little better.

HM :D

To Killer Shrike

It doesn't include Common Limitations next to Lists the same way that it does for Frameworks which defeats one of the main benefits of using Lists in the first place.

Wonder Woman KS

Wonder Woman

I also like the extra color highlights for notes and power descriptions as well.

Sure, preferences are preferences. My main interest is that if there is a bug in my template I'd like to fix it.

Nice WW btw. Are you ever going to get around to sending me your new JLA write ups for Hyper-Man JLA?

So to business...in all honesty I had forgotten about that page in the wiki.

I downloaded and compared the version of the template from that page to the current version in my git repo for HD content and there were changes to the file over the years, but for the dynamic css. The export template itself was the same.

I know that current versions of the template and its cousins do support lims on lists as I use that feature a lot myself.

So, I re-opened the version of John Wrath that the sample sheet is from, added a limitation to one of his lists, and exported it. The list lim showed up exactly like for a Multipower.

Puzzlement.

If you could zip up your copy on disk of the hde and your Wonder Woman hdc and send it to me via email, I'd like to take a look and see if there's something else going on here. Also, what version of HD are you using? I'm using (version 20130424 ).

To Killer Shrike

Wonder Woman KS

Wonder Woman

Sure, preferences are preferences. My main interest is that if there is a bug in my template I'd like to fix it.

Nice WW btw. Are you ever going to get around to sending me your new JLA write ups for Hyper-Man JLA?

I downloaded and compared the version of the template from that page to the current version in my git repo for HD content and there were changes to the file over the years, but for the dynamic css. The export template itself was the same.

I know that current versions of the template and its cousins do support lims on lists as I use that feature a lot myself.

So, I re-opened the version of John Wrath that the sample sheet is from, added a limitation to one of his lists, and exported it. The list lim showed up exactly like for a Multipower.

Puzzlement.

If you could zip up your copy on disk of the hde and your Wonder Woman hdc and send it to me via email, I'd like to take a look and see if there's something else going on here. Also, what version of HD are you using? I'm using (version 20130424 ).

Also, I pushed the most current version of that particular template to the wiki page

To Killer Shrike

Wonder Woman KS

Wonder Woman

Puzzlement.

I sent you what I have. I'm using the same version of Hero Designer.

I just tried using the updated export from the link above and I'm still seeing the same thing.

One of the reasons I like adding Limitations to Lists as well as Frameworks is to allow me to hide them on the individual powers within those containers to allow for an overall cleaner display. Attached is an example of what I'm talking about.

fetch?id=3588736

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n45229[/ATTACH]

To Killer Shrike

Wonder Woman KS

Wonder Woman

Puzzlement.

Hmm...ok.

For some reason, it works correctly on lists in the equipment block, but not in the powers block. I don't know why yet.

To Killer Shrike

Wonder Woman KS

Wonder Woman

Puzzlement.

Hrm...no joy. I can't spend any more time on this tonight.

Beginning versions of the Justice League for 6e on 400 points

Is my new thread with links using the above export as well as links to the hdc files for all the 6e DCU characters I've done so far. There is also a link to this in my Signature which also contains a link to my stalled Fantastic Four thread (it currently only has Reed Richards so far).

Beginning versions of the Justice League for 6e on 400 points

Is my new thread with links using the above export as well as links to the hdc files for all the 6e DCU characters I've done so far. There is also a link to this in my Signature which also contains a link to my stalled Fantastic Four thread (it currently only has Reed Richards so far).

That link is broken.

The correct link is:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/forum/genres/champions/3584767-beginning-versions-of-the-justice-league-for-6e-on-400-points#post3585079

This is my new favorite:

example

I found the export recently in the Hero Designer Vault. I don't know who uploaded it but it's one of the nicest ones I've seen.

Here's the text from the Vault entry:

The Ultimate 6ed Character Sheet

Uploaded: Friday, April 5, 2013

HERO System Sixth Edition

Type: Single Character

File Extensions: HTML, HTM

This format has the "look and feel" of the Default character sheet, but has the following differences:

*Collates all combat information including Martial Maneuvers in a special page block.

*Powers, Equipment, Talents, Martial Arts, Skills, Perks, and Complications are in a wider single column format.

*Moves picture to right of stats, with Appearance on same page.

*Particularly favors players with lots of Powers, Martial Arts, descriptive Skills, Perks or Talents.

*Split into 4 pages for cleaner printing.

*Added math functions to determine proper NC movement for leaping.

*Added new combat maneuvers and edited changes from 6ed.

*Added -Attacks- derived from power information to combat page.

*Added OMCV and DMCV information and updated characteristics.

*Many changes made to improve legibility and layout.

*The recommended picture size: 288px wide. The image should be anywhere from 352px to 442px tall.

The file " herologo.png " needs to be included in same directory as the export file.

If the character has an image associated with it and you want to have that image included in the HTML output, you will need to save that image into the same directory as the HTML file when you export (the export wizard will prompt you to save the image). The recommended picture size: 288px wide. The image should be anywhere from 352px to 442px tall.

--Modified from the Default character sheet by desaturated May 2010, again in August 2011 with support for 6th Ed, again in January 2013 for finishing touches and bug fixes

Other Files:herologo.png

Downloads: 20

I've just found a couple of issues with this export.

1. The OCV Penalty for performing a Move Through is listed as -v/5 when it should be -v/10 since 6e changed from "Inches" to meters of movement.

fetch?id=3589590

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n45316[/ATTACH]

2. The bonuses from the Enhanced Perception Power is not reflected in the Characteristic Block as a secondary roll (15-) in the case of Clark Kent.

fetch?id=3589591

fetch?id=3589592

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n45317[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n45318[/ATTACH]

Does anyone know a board member named desaturated?

Nope, but the problems were really easy to fix.

I cracked it open in Notepad++ took a look around and found it was a pretty straightforward sheet. I opened my sheet as well to see how certain things were done (it's been a long time since I have fooled around with an export temp).

So it will appear at the top of your export list (6e HTML The Ultimate 6ed Character Sheet) (I like putting the 6e in front of the Template Name so in theory all 6e Export Formats's will appear together in the Hero Designer ExportFormats Dialog, it's just something my OCD makes me do)

He used the wrong XML variable for total Per Roll so I changed it.

Fixed the text for Move Though.

Changed the filename again so the 6e Formats will stay together in the Exports folder.

If you are logged into the Hero Games Homepage you can DL the fixed version at the following URL

http://www.herogames.com/getHDExport...acterSheet.hde

I cracked it open in Notepad++ took a look around and found it was a pretty straightforward sheet. I opened my sheet as well to see how certain things were done (it's been a long time since I have fooled around with an export temp).

So it will appear at the top of your export list (6e HTML The Ultimate 6ed Character Sheet) (I like putting the 6e in front of the Template Name so in theory all 6e Export Formats's will appear together in the Hero Designer ExportFormats Dialog, it's just something my OCD makes me do)

Changed the filename again so the 6e Formats will stay together in the Exports folder.

If you are logged into the Hero Games Homepage you can DL the fixed version at the following URL

I didn't change anything else. even though I was VERY temped to do so. I don't really care for the yellow and orange headers. Not much of a fan of the font either.

Hope you like it. If the Author reappears on the boards I would be quite willing to delete the fixed version from the HD LIbrary.

I like the colors. They match the 6e books. But I can see how they might be a little bright for some.

I agree the font is a little too cute vs. functional.

Could you update the font and add a Background/Bio section?

The Typeface/Font should be pretty easy. I'll check into the background/Bio Section. I am not the greatest coder, I usually hack stuff together from other pieces of the doc. It won't be until next weekend at the soonest (I have like 6 PC's to build for my StarWars game).

On color for Character sheets. I am ok with logos and character picts being in color. Otherwise I like Black text, headers etc. I am ok with coloring stuff like Martial Maneuvers that should be called out on the sheet because they are things that aren't normally in the Maneuvers list

1. The OCV Penalty for performing a Move Through is listed as -v/5 when it should be -v/10 since 6e changed from "Inches" to meters of movement.

fetch?id=3589590

2. The bonuses from the Enhanced Perception Power is not reflected in the Characteristic Block as a secondary roll (15-) in the case of Clark Kent.

fetch?id=3589591

fetch?id=3589592

Hey guy and Gals!

Sorry I hadn't made a forum account before. I'm super glad that there is some interest in the export format. It certainly was a work of love.

I've updated the format files on the site with the move-through fix.

I'll have to look into the enhanced perception bonus fix. I'll see if the default exporter sums that correctly, or if I can feed that value into a calculation if I can find the proper tags.

I downloaded Tasha's fix and it broke a couple things. Namely adding the name of the Perception roll to the field where just the number value should be. So it says: "Perception Roll: Per Roll -XX".

As for the look: colors/fonts. That's a personal preference thing. If you change the font then you have to change some of the layout numbers to get everything to line-up nicely. Though I have tested it with Ariel, Tahoma, Verdana, Century Gothic and other fonts and it's not a total train-wreck to simply change the name of the font in a text editor yourself. Also you can always just hit "black and white" only in your printer preferences.

I also borrowed Tasha's naming convention by placing 6E HTML at the front of the name so it's now: 6E HTML UltimateCharacterSheet.hde

As for my version showing up on the front page; for some reason mine is buried on page 5 after all the rest if you filter by single character sheet and 6th edition.

Tasha, I'd like you to take yours down if you don't mind. Feel free to put it back if you make some radical changes to the look and function. Only because it was a fair amount of work to do and I'd like a little credit, and yours currently is a bug fix. Thanks!

I have noodled with alternate color versions and different fonts for different genres, and themes. The Ultimate one is mainly designed with Super Heroes in mind. If you guys want I can upload custom ones for fantasy, sci-fi, or whatever you dream up (my little pony adventures?). Even just campaign specific color themes if you have something special in mind.

I'd rather put out a custom series of them on demand for you all than see tonnes of partial edits out there.

thanks for checking out the formats and let me know if you find more bugs. I have couple things on my own list of things to-fix or things to-make work better.

cheers,

fetch?id=3589590

fetch?id=3589591

fetch?id=3589592

Hey guy and Gals!

Sorry I hadn't made a forum account before. I'm super glad that there is some interest in the export format. It certainly was a work of love.

I'll have to look into the enhanced perception bonus fix. I'll see if the default exporter sums that correctly, or if I can feed that value into a calculation if I can find the proper tags.

I downloaded Tasha's fix and it broke a couple things. Namely adding the name of the Perception roll to the field where just the number value should be. So it says: "Perception Roll: Per Roll -XX".

As for the look: colors/fonts. That's a personal preference thing. If you change the font then you have to change some of the layout numbers to get everything to line-up nicely. Though I have tested it with Ariel, Tahoma, Verdana, Century Gothic and other fonts and it's not a total train-wreck to simply change the name of the font in a text editor yourself. Also you can always just hit "black and white" only in your printer preferences.

I also borrowed Tasha's naming convention by placing 6E HTML at the front of the name so it's now: 6E HTML UltimateCharacterSheet.hde

As for my version showing up on the front page; for some reason mine is buried on page 5 after all the rest if you filter by single character sheet and 6th edition.

Tasha, I'd like you to take yours down if you don't mind. Feel free to put it back if you make some radical changes to the look and function. Only because it was a fair amount of work to do and I'd like a little credit, and yours currently is a bug fix. Thanks!

I have noodled with alternate color versions and different fonts for different genres, and themes. The Ultimate one is mainly designed with Super Heroes in mind. If you guys want I can upload custom ones for fantasy, sci-fi, or whatever you dream up (my little pony adventures?). Even just campaign specific color themes if you have something special in mind.

I'd rather put out a custom series of them on demand for you all than see tonnes of partial edits out there.

thanks for checking out the formats and let me know if you find more bugs. I have couple things on my own list of things to-fix or things to-make work better.

cheers,

fetch?id=3589590

fetch?id=3589591

fetch?id=3589592

Hey guy and Gals!

cheers,

sorry I missed this earlier.

fetch?id=3589590

fetch?id=3589591

fetch?id=3589592

Hey guy and Gals!

cheers,

That's actually why I left in all of your comments. I wanted you to get credit. Happy to take the bug fix down though :D