Sherlock (the New BBC series)

KawangaKid

Stands a chance of allowing us a Dark Champions entry for Sherlock Holmes in the modern era.

The official link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4pgh

The wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(TV_series)

Well-written, good casting, excellent acting, and fantastic (if sometimes a bit too clever) direction. Critically acclaimed and a hit in the U.K. -- one that has boosted sales of the stories, has kicked off an interest in the fashion of both leads, and has already garnered a guaranteed second season.

Yes, second season. The 1st season was only three episodes. Three 90 minute episodes (that's a movie length, isn't it?). It's like a trilogy!

I liked the modernization of Sherlock AND the modernization of Watson -- there seems to be a solid foundation for the friendship and a sort of even contribution to the partnership (with Holmes always taking center stage). And the easter eggs for the fans of the books are there.

Interestingly enough, the purist in me wasn't offended like I was with the Guy Ritchie flick. Perhaps the fact that it was a modern day Sherlock Holmes helped me deal with the artistic AND necessary revisions to canon.

YMMV of course.

Re: Sherlock (the New BBC series)

Worth a look. I've liked some of the new shows lately from BBC......Not sure I get the Guy Ritchie offense though, I actually enjoyed that flick....

Still, a modernization....if done by the right folk could work and be interesting.

~Rex

One of the League of Gentlemen, Mark Gatiss (sp?), was responsible for the writing and appears as Holmes's brother. The only link to a story I have caught so far and that was because it stands out like a sore thumb was The Bruce Partington Plans and the disposal of the body.

But it does have a depth as Holmes demonstrates how he gets from A to B. And part of that is the ability to reconcile lots of information and remember it.

I have only been able to watch bits and pieces on youtube but what I've seen I've liked. I would really like to see modern renditions of cases like The Red-Headed League, The Speckled Band, and the Norwood Builder, to name a few. Anybody have any suggestions on how to modernize these cases? That's if they actually need all that much modernizing.