Stacking Dodge

The Main Man

Re: Stacking Dodge

Hmmmm.... Dodging costs 1 END as a Maneuver that doesn't use STR... I can see Pushing it... but not as a standard tactic, any more than Pushing an attack is a standard tactic. As a standard tactic, I'd go with Combat Skill Levels, only for DCV, Full Phase (as previously mentioned by Hugh).

I do see the concept that if Dodging for a Half Phase gives you +X DCV, then Dodging for a Full Phase should give you +2X DCV (or some other plus to DCV). After all, you're giving up a Half Phase (that you could otherwise potentially use for movement, picking up an object, etc.) for the priviledge. Hey, you can Multiple Attack by using a Full Phase; why not an improved Dodge? [One reason could be game balance.] But it's not the rules as written.

I think I suggested you can do it as a house rule if you take all the penalties of Multiple Attack.

That would mean doubling the Dodge bonus - then halving your DCV.

It could even be helpful - if your basic DCV is 1 or 2....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders what else we can put into Munchkin Martial Arts

First I'd like to give thanks to Chris Goodwin for and insightful well worded explanation, complete in perspective, and a post that leaves little left to say.

This all started with a simple conversational debate between The Main Man and I, and since has drawn a great deal of perspective. For which I appreciate, I believe the ability to attack a question from all angles is a great way learn and rethink what we know.

From these posts I've seen a general consensus that dodge represents a persons full capacity to be evasive. I've seen a few posts where people enforce policy as it is written in the book, with statements like "that's the way its been from the beginning". Personally how its been since the beginning holds very little weight, considering every mechanic can be changed. In fact every new edition that comes out attests to the fact that change is necessary.

I have to draw rest to my initial belief, and give victory to The Main Man.If I have read all posts correctly, most revere SPD as a purely turn based mechanic, with no reflection to a characters movement speed. That a person that has a SPD 3 doesn't move at an average equal to 4 seconds because he moves 3 times in 12 seconds. Nor does a person move faster because he moves/acts 5 times in 12 seconds. The initial reasoning in part to this whole conversation was whether a person aborting was moving faster because he's doing more in less seconds. Seemingly not so.We just pretend it happened in its normal cinematic speed and combat order.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post.

I don't believe anyone has been talking about movement (as in running, flying, leaping) with regard to SPD or DEX.

Unless house rules are in effect a character with a SPD 4 and 12m/6" of running can move farther over the course of a Turn than a character with a SPD 2 and 12m/6".

SPD defines the number of distinct actions. Actions are not necessarily movement. Combat Maneuvers like Dodge (with the exception of Flying Dodge) are not movement. Dive For Cover is its own special case, it's not really a combat maneuver, it is a mechanic for aborting to movement (not normally allowed).

First I'd like to give thanks to Chris Goodwin for and insightful well worded explanation, complete in perspective, and a post that leaves little left to say.

This seems to suggest that you haven't read the rules since his post was essentially posting a condensed version of them.

Everyone else up to this point was assuming that you had actually read them and had misunderstood them.

I think I suggested you can do it as a house rule if you take all the penalties of Multiple Attack.

That would mean doubling the Dodge bonus - then halving your DCV.

Except that even if your GM is high and allows such a thing, the DCV bonuses from two Dodges still wouldn't stack; you take the worst CV modifiers from all the maneuvers used in the maneuver, rather than adding them all together. Short story: if you could combine a +3 DCV Dodge and a +3 DCV Dodge in a Multiple Attack, you'd get an overall +3 DCV and then your DCV would be halved. Much better than getting a plain +3 DCV from a normal Dodge. :P

Now I guess you could combine a Dodge and a Block if your GM is still high, thus getting a +3 DCV (before your DCV is halved) and being able to attempt a Block at -2 OCV, but it doesn't seem to me to be a very intelligent way to play defensively....

I've seen a few posts where people enforce policy as it is written in the book' date=' with statements like "that's the way its been from the beginning". Personally how its been since the beginning holds very little weight, considering every mechanic can be changed. In fact every new edition that comes out attests to the fact that change is necessary.[/quote']Change, without the context of the changes, means little. Things change.

Some of the earliest changes to the rules were from integration between Champions, Danger International, etc.

Other, later, changes stemmed from balance. Search the boards for the debates concerning the last changes.

If you were to go on 1' date='6,12 and you punched a guy on phase 1, you were just punching away on 2-5, or just standing there.[/quote']

This is no more the case than in any other game. The game must simulate combat. In a real combat, you would dodge, weave, look for opportunities to strike, take those opportunities, etc. in a fluid motion. But, for the game to work, we have to ask each person for their actions, and resolve them, in some sequence. Otherwise, we have half a dozen players yelling their actions at the GM, who tries to adjudicate them all while adjudicating the results of all the NPC's actions.

Around the table, I take my action, then you take yours, then the bad guy takes his, each as discrete steps. In the game, all of this is occurring fluidly, in vastly less time than it takes us to break it down into actions, rolls for success and rolls for effect.