Gun-Kata or Gun-Fu, Anyone?

MrJake

Re: Gun-Kata or Gun-Fu, Anyone?

Thanks for the feedback and participation, everyone. Nice to know that there are other Gun-Fu fans out there. :)

More specifically, OIF would work. I left it OAF since, absent other gun wielding characters or npc's, a grab/disarm could deny the use of the ability. Maybe -3/4 instead?

As for the no-range mod, that was just to make it easier to blast doors/vehicles at range. I figured it would mostly be used at close range, but didn't see any reason to penalize at a distance. The no-range mod also makes it easier to shoot down helicopters and such. Important to note that it has a 100" max range (about 600'), so no shooting down airplanes or other aircraft at much of a distance.

Tunneling would work, too. I just happened to be playing around with the Penetrating rules at the time. Also made it easier to expand to vehicles.

Only on Walls/Barriers/Vehicles (-0) grants no bonus 'cause without the limitation, the power would be hideously broken/not allowed.

x3 Penetrating worked out to an even +1 (as would x1 penetrating), so I just used that for easier math. Shooting through Tanks and other Armored Vehicles/Vault doors seemed like a sufficient "step-up" to match other super powers. Vehicles rarely play a significant part in the games I run, and when they do, they rarely last very long, anyway. The brick usually just flips them over or shakes them till the screaming stops. To be honest, I'd probably let the ability work on robots (actual, not just "defined as"), as well. Having one character be a "trump" card for a narrow set of opponents/obstacles (walls, vehicles, robots) has never been much of big deal in my experience. Other types of characters usually "trump" similar subsets. This may simply be due the particular style of games I run, however, so YMMV.

Again, thanks for the feedback/participation. Always nice to be made welcome on a new (to me) board.

Happy Gaming

For "Mad skilz" I'd go with OIF: Any gun will do. This way you have a skill usable with any gun at hand, instead of a "magic gun". And it shows a focus thats harder to take away, so its worth less.....

Oh I think I posted a Char called Trick shot as a Cowboy super hero that used a big multi of gun tricks....

Gun Kata features a special enhanced sense--360 spatial awareness, with targeting, only vs. people firing guns. John Preston is able to burst into a dark room packed with a dozen armed men, get shot at by all of them(they all miss of course), and then accurately return fire, killing all of them. Levels vs. rapid attack penalties and vs. hit locations should be purchased, de minimis. Also, DCV vs. ranged attacks.

Gun Kata features a special enhanced sense--360 spatial awareness' date=' with targeting, only vs. people firing guns. John Preston is able to burst into a dark room packed with a dozen armed men, get shot at by all of them(they all miss of course), and then accurately return fire, killing all of them. Levels vs. rapid attack penalties and vs. hit locations should be purchased, de minimis. Also, DCV vs. ranged attacks.[/quote']

I've only seen the movie once but I thought it was implied that he moved in such a way that he led the armed men into shooting one another.

I've only seen the movie once but I thought it was implied that he moved in such a way that he led the armed men into shooting one another.

Hey, I hadn't thought of that! Missile Reflection? Only with half move? Bullets only?

No, he clearly discharged his own firearms during the encounter, if you watch it again this will become a little bit clearer.

However, the movie Ultraviolet does contain an example of what you describe...she leads a group of armed men into shooting at her, while she lines herself up in front of other men, then moves out of the way so that they wind up shooting each other...kind of a unique form of reflection.

There are optional rules for hitting other targets in the line of fire if the desired attack misses, so you might not even need Reflection if your GM wants to play it that way. Of course, the chance of a hit occurring is probably less that way (IIRC the attacker just uses base OCV; no CSLs or anything) unless maybe the GM wants to call it a surprise maneuver against their teammate(s)....

Friendly Fire: Missile Reflection' date=' any attack, must do half-move (-1/2), new target must be in facing arc of original attacker (-1/2)?[/quote']

I like this build, but wouldn't it mean you would have to have a held action since it requires a half-move and you normally can't Abort to movement (with the exceptions of Dive for Cover, Flying Dodge, et cetera)?