Ah, screw it.

Pteryx

I just gave up on fiddling with that unnecessarily complicated Healing-based build for Regeneration in FREd (heck, the build seems to bend some rules anyway) and decided that IMG, Regeneration is back to being its own Power. 10 points gets you 1 BODY/Turn, and you can increase the increment by one step down on the chart as a -1/4 Limitation. By default it's Persistent and costs no END. Resurrection is a +20 Adder, and like the Healing version you must specify a way to stop it. I haven't decided whether Can Heal Limbs should be part of the deal by default or not.

Is there anything I should know about the old Regeneration that's worth considering in the recreation of Regen as its own Power? -- Pteryx

Re: Ah, screw it.

Originally posted by Pteryx

I just gave up on fiddling with that unnecessarily complicated Healing-based build for Regeneration in FREd (heck, the build seems to bend some rules anyway) and decided that IMG, Regeneration is back to being its own Power. 10 points gets you 1 BODY/Turn, and you can increase the increment by one step down on the chart as a -1/4 Limitation. By default it's Persistent and costs no END. Resurrection is a +20 Adder, and like the Healing version you must specify a way to stop it. I haven't decided whether Can Heal Limbs should be part of the deal by default or not.

Is there anything I should know about the old Regeneration that's worth considering in the recreation of Regen as its own Power? -- Pteryx

Not that I know of. Incidentally, we're doing the same thing with regeneration.:)

Re: Ah, screw it.

Originally posted by Pteryx

Not that I know of. I'd keep the adder for heal limbs.

Complicates bookkeeping a little, but in my game if you have Regen equal to your SPD you get back 1 BODY every phase. If more than SPD but less than twice SPD the leftover is in post phase 12. Just seems more in keeping with the genra.

Re: Re: Ah, screw it.

Originally posted by McCoy

Not that I know of. I'd keep the adder for heal limbs.

Complicates bookkeeping a little, but in my game if you have Regen equal to your SPD you get back 1 BODY every phase. If more than SPD but less than twice SPD the leftover is in post phase 12. Just seems more in keeping with the genra.

Very similar to what I do. I let the players distribute through the round if they want.

And I start them off at 5 pnts/active point.

Originally posted by dugfromthearth

does anyone use 5th edition regen?

I have been using it, mostly because it's considerably cheaper than the earlier version and the Modifiers affecting time interval etc. are already built in, making it easier to alter to taste. As long as no other Modifiers than the standard ones are used, it's easy to remember that the amount of Body Regenerated can be bought in multiples of seven and eight Character Points: 7 for 1 Body, 15 for 2 Body, 22 for 3 Body, and so on. For other than standard Regeneration it does require more calculation, but if that frightened me I wouldn't be into HERO. ;)

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

I have been using it, mostly because it's considerably cheaper than the earlier version

Said cheapness, plus my own vision of how regeneration usually works, is why I've been considering possibly including Can Heal Limbs with my version by default and having its absence be a -1/4 Limitation. And it's not that the math intimidates me; it's more like it feels wrong to me to have Regeneration represented by a rule-bending build and it's annoying to deal with something that complex by default. HA's one mandatory Limitation I don't mind; beyond that, well, there's a reason HKA and RKA are seperate Powers. -- Pteryx

I'm using the 5th Ed version of Regen too.

Four reasons:

1: It's what 5th Ed told me to do, so I figured I'd try it first. I like it. I'm usually of the opinion that if you can do it without creating a new Power, do it. Even if it means tweaking things a bit for playability.

2: It more easily goes into those Elemental Controls now, because of the high Active Point Cost. Speaking of high APs, it makes low level of Regen harder to Suppress/Drain.

3: It's marginally cheeper.

4: If I really felt like it, I can take off the Extra Time LImitation and have it apply per Phase. I rarely do this...but occasionally I like to build the unkillable villain, and it's just easier to increase the Real Cost than quadrupling the Active Cost.

Edit for 4th reason:

I've said this on other threads, but....

I like the way 5th ed. built Regeneration using the Healing power. I just don't like the inconsistency. So I re-build it from Healing, but require that the Cumulative Advantage be included (even though Healing is an Adjustment Power, and they can't normally take this Advantage; Healing is clearly an exception to Adjustment Powers already being cumulative). I also require that the maximum effect be bought up to double the character's maximum normal Body (if (s)he wishes the Regeneration to be able to fully heal him/her, anyway). However, I also allow the full Standard Effect points to be used when 3*dice is an even multiple of the trait being healed (player's option--this would mean 2 dice of Regenerate Body would heal 3/Turn, not 2/Turn).

I believe this actually winds up being more expensive than 4th ed. Regeneration, but I don't mind the power being expensive. Not at all.

Originally posted by prestidigitator

I've said this on other threads, but....

I like the way 5th ed. built Regeneration using the Healing power. I just don't like the inconsistency. So I re-build it from Healing, but require that the Cumulative Advantage be included (even though Healing is an Adjustment Power, and they can't normally take this Advantage; Healing is clearly an exception to Adjustment Powers already being cumulative). I also require that the maximum effect be bought up to double the character's maximum normal Body (if (s)he wishes the Regeneration to be able to fully heal him/her, anyway). However, I also allow the full Standard Effect points to be used when 3*dice is an even multiple of the trait being healed (player's option--this would mean 2 dice of Regenerate Body would heal 3/Turn, not 2/Turn).

I believe this actually winds up being more expensive than 4th ed. Regeneration, but I don't mind the power being expensive. Not at all.

I agree with all of the above, except for having to buy the Max up to double the normal Body (though I may reconsider this). The way Cumulative is described in the book (which I don't have in front of me), says that it may be applied to Adjustment powers that don't have another way to increase their maxima. The only Adjustment Powers this applies to are Suppress and Healing, and if FREd intended Cumulative Healing to be verboten, why didn't they just say "Cumulative may be applied to Suppress" rather than "Cumulative may be applied to some Adjustment Powers (plural)"?

In short, as I've said on the "house rules that should be rules" thread, I allow Cumulative Healing, with or without Regenetation mods.

And since Cumul is +1/2, and they're shorting you by -1/2 with the inconsistency (error?) in the Standard Effect Rule (2 per die instead of 3 per die), I say it balances out nicely. So the price is as per FREd.

Originally posted by PhilFleischmann

And since Cumul is +1/2, and they're shorting you by -1/2 with the inconsistency (error?) in the Standard Effect Rule (2 per die instead of 3 per die), I say it balances out nicely. So the price is as per FREd.

ummm...you aren't being shorted. Regen restores BOD every turn with no limit, so you paid a +1/2 advantage and got a +1/2 advantage benefit. The better question may be why "Cumulative" isn't just listed as an advantage and we don't just call it 2/3 d6.

In our game, we allow that healing roll to be made for each separate wound. Its just a matter of the players keeping track of each one.

Another option is that when the roll is applied to a wounded PC, that the healing is applied to all wounds separately and simultaneously. Obviously very bad injuries are still going to be harder to heal, unless the healing is cumulative.

Mags

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

ummm...you aren't being shorted. Regen restores BOD every turn with no limit, so you paid a +1/2 advantage and got a +1/2 advantage benefit. The better question may be why "Cumulative" isn't just listed as an advantage and we don't just call it 2/3 d6.

Yes, that's what I meant, you're getting only 2/3 of the die you paid for, but you're getting a +1/2 advantage for free that isn't expicitly named, so it balances out.

Originally posted by PhilFleischmann

Yes, that's what I meant, you're getting only 2/3 of the die you paid for, but you're getting a +1/2 advantage for free that isn't expicitly named, so it balances out.

True. That makes it a little easier to live with, but I still like the consistency of having the correct Advantages and Limitations on the power, if it is truely bought as a modified Healing. So instead of an invisible Advantage and automatic Limitation (or just less base points), why not make it explicit?

Originally posted by Farkling

...to get around that silly "one healing per wound" limitation.

I don't think this is a silly limitation. I just think there should be a standard way to get around it (like we seem to agree Cumulative should do). I actually really like the normal 5ed Healing rules for heroic fantasy games. Otherwise, any form of Healing is just way too powerful; might as well forget the normal healing process altogether. In 4th edition, it was just too hard to simulate all of that fantasy literature in which a wound was just "beyond the ability of the healer." There aren't many novels I have read that haven't brought up this kind of limitation (the obvious exception being those which are written based on such a roleplaying system--like D&D-based novels).

I thought it was silly for my Supers game...

More appropo in the SuperSpies...if they could BUY Healing. :)

Definitely, the one wound limit (one one combat limit? Hmmm) would be appropriate in Fantasy Hero...

Sarcophagi from Stargate would probably be bought following the Regeneration form, without Self-Only.

Originally posted by Farkling

I'll chime in...I'm using Regen out of FREd...

I'm also toying with the idea of allowing Michael (THE ArchAngel in my game) buy Helaing with cumulative on it to get around that silly "one healing per wound" limitation.

I use a house rule that makes Healing like other Adjustment Powers. It have a max like Aid and can be rerolled until that max is reaches, and the max can be bought up. It's the best way I can see to get a character to cast all of his Cure LIght Wound spells on the same character, or use multiple healing potions and any number of things related to healing that would do small amounts that still add up.

Originally posted by Dust Raven

I use a house rule that makes Healing like other Adjustment Powers. It have a max like Aid and can be rerolled until that max is reaches, and the max can be bought up. It's the best way I can see to get a character to cast all of his Cure LIght Wound spells on the same character, or use multiple healing potions and any number of things related to healing that would do small amounts that still add up.

But again you make reference to D&D, which is one of the only places I have seen where a weak, weak healing spell can be used (with enough applications) to heal any physical wound, no matter how serious. In that sense D&D healing spells are, IMO, more powerful than spells from more literature, and should have an Advantage such as Continuous.