Infrared Perception (Hearing Group)

BobGreenwade

Re: Infrared Perception (Hearing Group)

the tread is about Brownian motion' date=' the bombardment of the thermo molecules on the human hear drum, your comments is from the idea that the ability is a "active" power/sense, but that is not what Brownian motion is suggesting, the tread is suggesting the bombardment of the thermo molecules on the human ear would be a "passive" sense, and that means the molecules activates your senses themselves, that would mean that they travel from the source of heat, across distance, to reach your ear drum for you/(or object) to perceive. in Brownian motion it is referring to molecules from heat sources, so in this tread it is not talking about IR as in a electro-mag view point, but the actual speeding up and expansion of molecules (thermo waves) from the source and branching out, again that would be a passive perception, the electro-mag that you are referring to is a active perception, where the device searches out for the IR itself. like to point out that this is a comic-book world and i have never seen Magneto having power to cool off heat from the human body or any other source.[/quote']

thread - with an "H"

You can hear the IR Spectrum because it has both Wavelength and Frequency - like every other part of the spectrum. If you can hear a particle move you are hearing Brownian Motion - which means that you are literally hearing a particle obey the second law of thermodynamics.

Which has nothing to do with InfraRed, because IR is still not "heat" and it's still not "themo waves" - IR Radiation can be heard. It has Frequency and Wavelength, like the rest of the spectrum. Just like Green sounds different from Red based on it's difference in Frequencies and Wavelengths, different portions of the IR Spectrum will sound different.

So we're either talking about the path of particles in a medium (liquid or gas) whose Brownian Motion Path is predictable via Einstein's equation based on thermal equilibrium (and even then that's only one kind of Brownian Motion) - or we're talking about InfraRed.

thread - with an "H"

"themo waves"

How ironic...but then, you only say it once.

You can hear the IR Spectrum because it has both Wavelength and Frequency - like every other part of the spectrum. If you can hear a particle move you are hearing Brownian Motion - which means that you are literally hearing a particle obey the second law of thermodynamics.

Which has nothing to do with InfraRed, because IR is still not "heat" and it's still not "themo waves" - IR Radiation can be heard. It has Frequency and Wavelength, like the rest of the spectrum. Just like Green sounds different from Red based on it's difference in Frequencies and Wavelengths, different portions of the IR Spectrum will sound different.

So we're either talking about the path of particles in a medium (liquid or gas) whose Brownian Motion Path is predictable via Einstein's equation based on thermal equilibrium (and even then that's only one kind of Brownian Motion) - or we're talking about InfraRed.

It's as good a rubber science explanation for such an ability as many comic book origin stories, and better than many. As to whether it's really "infrared", we lived through five editions where energy blasts could do physical damage, and we still argue over whether Block requires physical interposition to defeat an attack, so hanging one's hat on the name of the mechanic seems less than appropriate. Most Telekinesis in all editions, including 6e, still does not involve moving objects mentally, and a Mental Power based on CON probably isn't a Mental Power any more.

Anyhoo, assuming that everyone is cool (or warm) with hearing Brownian Motion and equally temperate about being able to do so at range, all we have in Hero terms is IR vision linked to the hearing group rather than the sight group. My kitten says it is groovy, so that os OK then.

In Hero terms that is very easy to do (IR Vision just being a basic detect). However, attaching it to hearing means that you can not target with it. As sensing heat is almost inevitably going to be used for detecting where opponents are and a useful adjunct of that is being able to target them by heat emission and signature. So you might want 'Targeting' with that. And fries, obviously.

A couple of different applications, possibly.

Couple it with an immediate area Danger Sense, and you are hearing people sneak up on you based on shifts in ambient IR Radiation in the area. So, you can hear things moving about, as long as those things emit in the IR Spectrum. So now you've bought a small suite (ok, two) of powers with the same SFX: I can hear the IR Spectrum.

A security system, an electronic ear listens to IR Emissions in a room, shifts in those emissions are compared against an internal system - similar to some modern motion sensors that can detect human shapes vs dog shapes - to eliminate background IR shifts and use immediate or sudden large scale changes in ambient IR Emissions to set off an alarm.

Moving back to 'heat' - since IR Thermal Imagery depends on absorbed and reflected IR Radiation, an 'Active IR Hearing' could literally send out an IR Transmission (likely in the Mid-IR band range) and inform you of presence based on which portions of the spectrum return and don't return. This one may be best done with Sean's addition of Targeting to make it a better/more complete build.

Other Sense Groups:

InfraRed (Radio Group) is a device that picks up IR transmissions, possibly long range telecommunications in the Far-IR band, and shifts them into either the intended audio signal, or other data. Of course the odd little downside here is that IR Transmission is direct path (or line-of-sight) type, which means an IR Radio would have to possibly receive and rebroadcast the signal so no one was the wiser if you're using it to listen in, so some devices may be receive only, some may have the Transmit Sense Enhancer.

another IR (Radio Group) is Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy - which measures absorption along the IR Band of various compounds and provides information based on IR Absorption/Reflection. This build I would recommend Discriminatory, Analyze and possible "Affected As Sight Group Also" to model needing to look at an screen or output that graphs the data.

How ironic...but then' date=' you only say it once.[/quote']

Well, it was inevitable that a typo would slip into a post involving a spelling correction. However, I made the typo once in a single post (a similar typo of 'thormo' was made in a post preceding mine) and "thread" was misspelled in every instance (in multiple posts), leading me to believe the poster did not know the word had an 'h' in it. :)

Well' date=' it was inevitable that a typo would slip into a post involving a spelling correction.[/quote']

Yup! Like I said, though, you only typo'd once. As you say, "tread" seemed pretty consistent.

I'd rep you for recognizing the inevitable, but apparently I've rep'd you too recently.

[At least no one is discussing role playing a rouge. That one's always amusing...except in Cosmetics Capers Hero, of course!

Just put the cat in, package the box, then repeat with a second box. Until you open them, each one has a 50% chance to contain the cat, and 2 x 50% = 1 cat. ;)

Rubber science works!

Actually there is a 50% chance the cat will be in one of the boxes, a 25% chance that it is in neither box, and a 25% chance that the cat is in both boxes. Don't ask me how, but I've seen it happen.

Actually there is a 50% chance the cat will be in one of the boxes' date=' a 25% chance that it is in neither box, and a 25% chance that the cat is in [i']both [/i]boxes. Don't ask me how, but I've seen it happen.

Average of one cat. Close enough for rubber science.