Just got 6e *impressed*

cutsleeve

I just got both main books for the sixth edition and I'm glad I got them. So far I've skimmed through both giving book 2 a bit more reading then the first but they have alot of improvements so far.

The format and layout is nicely done. You can instantly notice different parts of the rules, you get a nicer sidebar, better notes, and tool kitting blocks all nicely presented. The paper is alot thicker and I keep turning a page and checking to see if I turned two by mistake.

So far I've noticed the change in figured characteristics which I like it gives just the same starting levels but you just pay for what you want on everything now. The reduction in math is a good thing to me. It also reduces the cost on some of the statistics to account for it also.

There is a definite point growth in the system where characters will start with a higher number of points then before. which I've heard is because of the cost adjustment on many of the things in the system. However I don't see this as a bad thing as long as there's enough points to make a decent character. Besides starting character points are more of a guideline anyway.

I'll have to read them a bit more but so far I'm very impressed.

I'm gonna call them the BBB2:Return of the BBB. :winkgrin:

Re: Just got 6e *impressed*

They are rather splendid: there is a bit of a learning curve - not because of the new and obvious ideas but the more subtle changes (see recent discussion on Armor Piercing, for example), but it is a real step forward in the design of the game. Glad you are enjoying it so far :)

Friendly advice that took me a bit of learning:

Most games, you pick a race and class (or some variant thereof) and then use that as a framework for building your "character".

This will NOT work in Hero. Don't do it. before cracking the books, decide on what the character should be like in normal English. Write a paragraph about the character. "Woodsman who uses a silver axe and hates wolves..." Expand on it with some ability ideas. "My Victorian character wears a corset that is reinforced with steel bands that can stop bullets and knives..."

Fact is, Hero suffers from the "plague of plenty": You have so many options it's easy to lose track of what you're trying to do and get caught up in the details. Design a theme for the campaign, use that to design the characters, and then figure up the powers and abilities after that.

Anyway, welcome!

Friendly advice that took me a bit of learning:

Most games, you pick a race and class (or some variant thereof) and then use that as a framework for building your "character".

This will NOT work in Hero. Don't do it. before cracking the books, decide on what the character should be like in normal English. Write a paragraph about the character. "Woodsman who uses a silver axe and hates wolves..." Expand on it with some ability ideas. "My Victorian character wears a corset that is reinforced with steel bands that can stop bullets and knives..."

Fact is, Hero suffers from the "plague of plenty": You have so many options it's easy to lose track of what you're trying to do and get caught up in the details. Design a theme for the campaign, use that to design the characters, and then figure up the powers and abilities after that.

Anyway, welcome!

Yeah, I'm already familiar with this I'm an old hero player from 4e so its all familiar.

I'm still reading the books so its gonna take a bit before I really know whats changed. Its a big heavy book.

Bit of silliness with no disrespect to the author. :)

Has anyone checked to see this version is bulletproof yet?

Yeah, I'm already familiar with this I'm an old hero player from 4e so its all familiar.

I'm still reading the books so its gonna take a bit before I really know whats changed. Its a big heavy book.

Bit of silliness with no disrespect to the author. :)

Has anyone checked to see this version is bulletproof yet?

With only one copy of the book I'm not sure i'd like to conduct that test. Since likely it would provide a bullet proofing to me but not to a substantial portion of the book.

But a more appropriate question may be, Will it Blend.

Nope' date=' we haven't checked bulletproofness yet. Jason and Tina have been a bit busy running the warehouse and raisin' a daughter. ;) But we'll get around to it sooner or later, to satisfy our own curiosity if nothing else![/quote']

You could suggest it to Mythbusters. :)

"My Victorian character wears a corset that is reinforced with steel bands that can stop bullets and knives..."

I'm kinda hoping your Victorian woodsman does not wear a corset. At least unless this is the Rocky Horror version of Dracula.

Oh yeah? Well' date=' [i']my[/i] Victorian character has a gun in his hat! ;)

Cannon in hat.