Master Villains in Champions that can survive a point blank Nuke

Arc Esu

While waiting for the Golden Age Champions playtest to begin last night, I decided to try to calculate which Master Villains would survive a point blank 1 Megaton nuclear blast (as built in the Hero System Equipment Guide) assuming they were not specifically prepared for it and assuming the nuke rolls average damage. I certainly didn't get through all of them, and I'm at work so I can't post my exact math, but here's what I figured:

Anyone without Life Support: Immune to radiation is almost certainly dead. The initial radiation damage of Drain 20d6 Body and Drain 10d6 Con is just brutal. This means the first guy I tried to calculate, Holocaust, is dead. It's a shame given his name, but he isn't actually immune to radiation.

So next I only looked for the super tough guys that were immune to radiation. I was able to get through Doctor Destroyer, Mechanon, and Takofanes before the game started.

Destroyer: I assumed he would have his Barrier power active (either by aborting or just having it up as a default), but had no VPP points in any defensive gadgets. The brilliant flash of light half-blinds him. The initial wave of heat does no Body to him, but destroys his Barrier. The pressure wave, which lasts for 6 segments, does an average of 11 Body a Segment to him. This would kill him since he has 30 Body, but if the Stun doesn't Stun him or KO him, he could activate his Tactical Adaptation during this time, increasing his damage reduction from 50% to 75%, which would be enough to save him.

Result: A high damage roll for the nuke on an unprepared Destroyer MIGHT kill him; in any case, it will almost certainly at least significantly injure him.

Takofanes: I assumed his VPP was allocated to non-defense powers when the nuke first goes off. He has lower Resistant defenses than Destroyer, but he always has 75% Damage Reduction. He is also about half-blinded by the flash, but unlike Destroyer does take some Body from the initial heat (about 5 or 6 as I recall). Each Segment of the Pressure wave he would take more Body, which after the 6 Segments would kill him if I remember correctly. However, if the initial blast doesn't Stun or KO him, he'll just change his Cosmic Power pool to something appropriate (Megascale Teleport, Healing, massive Barrier, etc) and escape or survive the rest without further harm.

Result: Unlike Destroyer, Takofanes is hit or miss with a nuke. If the initial damage rolls are high enough to Stun or KO him, he will likely be destroyed. If not, he'll take a small amount of damage and just negate the rest with magic.

Mechanon: Mechanon has higher resistant defenses than Takofanes and has 75% Damage reduction. He was the last calculation I did, and thus was a bit rushed, but as I recall he was pretty much ok. He would take some Body, but not enough to destroy him. And in any case, even if one robot body was destroyed, he has plenty of others.

So if anyone else who owns both Hero System Equipment Guide and the Master Villains book and wants to take a crack at calculating the survival rate for a nuke, go nuts! And once I get home tonight I'll try to post my actual math.

Re: Master Villains in Champions that can survive a point blank Nuke

The version of Mechanon in Book of the Machine absolutely gets fried. He only has 30 fully resistant defense and 75% damage reduction. A 20d6 KA does 70 Body, netting 10 through ((70 - 30) / 4). So he takes 10 from the Thermal Blast, 10 from Static Overpressure (he's not a "soft malleable object"), and 10 every segment from Wind. That's a total of 80 Body, and it takes 40 to destroy him.

As for Dr. Destroyer, the version of Dr. Destroyer in 5e Book of the Destroyer takes 7 Body from the Thermal Blast ((70 - (40 Armor + 15 Barrier)) / 2). He is Stunned on average in 5E but not 6E, though a max Stun Multiplier for 6E will leave him Stunned. If he can activate Tactical Adaptation he takes ((70 - 40) / 4) = 7 Body per segment from Wind (42 Total). Then, he takes Double Knockback from the Wind ((70 * 2) - 10) = 130d6. Halved for just hitting the ground that's 65d6, or ((65 - 40) / 4) = 6 Body every segment (2 @ 65d6, 2 @ 64d6, 2 @ 63d6). Dr. Destroyer takes a total of 7 + 42 + 36, or 85 Body, more than enough to kill him outright.

I'm going to be a smartass and say 'Any of them with Desolidification'. :D

On an unrelated note, where are you getting these stats for a nuke from?

Would you allow abort to Extradimensional Movement? If so, the Empress of a Billion Dimensionscould do it. For that matter, so coul Black Rose.

BTW, not many supers in the comics could stand up to that level of damage without specific preparation. I believe Superman has in at least one alternate reality (DKR), but it almost finished him. I doubt that Thor could. Galactus or Krona could, but are they really written up, or just plot elements.

I'm getting mine from the Hero System 5th Edition Equipment Guide.

So you know, there are many different versions from players as to what a nuke does. Most people either underestimate or overestimate when trying to guess something. In this case, I believe those stats from the 5th Edition are wrong. If that particular listed damage were applied to everyday objects - which is what it needs to be applied against - there wouldn't be anything left of any normal objects, not even dust. The pictures taken after 'Little Boy' was dropped shows devastation but you can still recognize objects. Granted, those aren't up to the damage of the nukes now, but it still gives a reference point. I don't want to start another discussion on 'nuke damage' - those could get pretty heated... yeah, bad pun.

I think the problem with nukes is that there's just so many ways that they can kill you, and each of those ways affects different things differently, to such a degree that you can't really account for them all. It's not a problem with the writeup, per se, but a problem with trying to model reality in a game-able fashion. Unless you want to get into some pretty detailed physics, chemistry, biology, etc at the game table, some things just need to be glossed over.

So you know' date=' there are many different versions from players as to what a nuke does.[/quote']

True, but unless we agree on a common baseline the OP's post is meaningless. I used an official Hero source for obvious reasons.

Would you allow abort to Extradimensional Movement? If so, the Empress of a Billion Dimensionscould do it. For that matter, so coul Black Rose.

BTW, not many supers in the comics could stand up to that level of damage without specific preparation. I believe Superman has in at least one alternate reality (DKR), but it almost finished him. I doubt that Thor could. Galactus or Krona could, but are they really written up, or just plot elements.

Thor did survive a point blank H bomb a few years back, just before the whole "Reigning" storyline. It was Odin-powered "King Thor", though. I don't think the Thor from most of his tenure could have done so, though.

For superhero settings, I prefer a simplified 20d6 KA to the multi-nasty-death-comes-for-you-all HSEG writeup. Still kills 98% of all supers dead, dead, dead. That version comes from the 5th Ed. Ultimate Vehicle "Space Nuke" missile writeup. It'll instakill even the ludicrously over-protected M1 Abrams tank(30 DEF frontal, equivalent to a superhero with 90 PD/ED! Even Dr. D. would need multiple blasts of his 10d6 KA to destroy one frontally. Sheesh.), and anybody with up to 30 Defense and 20 body. Dr. D., Force Wall up, takes 7 body and undoubtedly experiences some GM-induced problems with his vaunted armor systems. I'd note, though, that if you want a candidate for someone who might indeed shrug off a HSEG nuke, try the "high-end" version of Dr.D from Book of the Destroyer. IIRC his defenses are about 10-15 points higher, AND he has 75% reduction at all times. Bulletproof, from Galactic Champions, is another good candidate.

That reminds me--anyone ever updated the old Crimson Claw writeup from Great Supervillain Contest? My eyes popped when I first read that writeup--he had the highest defenses I'd ever seen on a Champions character up to that point.

True' date=' but unless we agree on a common baseline the OP's post is meaningless. I used an official Hero source for obvious reasons.[/quote']

I totally agree. Since I don't have the book he mentioned, I don't have the scale of damage he's using.