Why there is no Gulo Gulo in bestiary(ies)?

Dr Divago

i'm wondering why in the bestiary (both 6th ed and 5ed plus MMM) there is no entry for this famous beast...

so i can use a bear, a wolf, a giant bear, or a small rodent but not a wolverine... why?

i argued i could use another beast package but... which one? with wich addiction?

maybe bear reducing size and giving extra STR (to compensate size reduction), long and sharp claws, no letargic need and teamwork skill?

[i called the topic it with latin name (Gulo Gulo) and not common name (Wolverine) because of similarities to a famous mutant... :) ]

Re: Why there is no Gulo Gulo in bestiary(ies)?

Maybe because at 496 pages it couldn't possible have all 1.7 million of the currently identified species on planet Earth represented?

Actually, it is listed on pg 13 of the 6E Bestiary, but only as an entry in the Weasels category for Animal Handler.

I'd probably use American Black Bear and lower the STR, maybe up the SPD.

Maybe because at 496 pages it couldn't possible have all 1.7 million of the currently identified species on planet Earth represented?
ok but... there are pidgeon and squirrels.

it's supposed they will get more fight against a squirrel then a wolverine? o.O

btw, i'll use black bear with some differencies... but... x_x

ok but... there are pidgeon and squirrels.

it's supposed they will get more fight against a squirrel then a wolverine? o.O

btw, i'll use black bear with some differencies... but... x_x

According to "Squirrels: the animal answer guide", in 2001 the US had over 2.1 million registered squirrel hunters.

Wolverine hunting is a little harder to find, but according to this site (http://www.currentresults.com/Wildlife/Endangered-Species/Endangered-Mammals/wolverine-709211.php) it's estimated that there are only between 15,000 and 19,000 left in Canada. Add in what the US has and I'm sure you're still a LOT less than the number of squirrels. I submit there are therefore fewer wolverine hunters. So, given those stats, maybe it is more likely to fight a squirrel than a wolverine :D

With regards to pigeons, I've personally shot more off my roof with a pellet gun than the number of wolverines I've ever seen :D

If it's in the beastiary' date=' I'd use a badger, with digging replaced with a hth killing attack. They're about the right size, and similar in disposition (wolverines are nastier, but close enough). [/quote']

Depends on the type of badger. American Badgers are about half their size...

But there is no badger in the bestiary.

maybe bear reducing size and giving extra STR (to compensate size reduction)' date=' long and sharp claws, no letargic need and teamwork skill?[/quote']

While they are very strong for their size, they are nowhere near bear strength. System wise, wolves have a STR of 10 and are over twice the size of a wolverine. But they do make up for it with tenacity and ferocity, which I would likely represent with skill levels.

While their claws are pretty big, they not that impressive when when compared to a bears. Probably worth a 1/2d6, reduced penetration HKA, but they just don't seem to use them to fight the way bears or cats do. Despite the comic book character, wolverines are big biters and should have a pretty big HKA bite (they have strong jaws)

Also, Wolverines are solitary hunters, so not sure why you would give them teamwork.

Really, though, the big thing is that in addition to being tough, fierce and reasonably well armed, they have disproportionally huge PRE - Savage and seemingly fearless. I've seen wolves and black bears run from them. Not that those are the most courageous animals around mind you, but a wolverine should be able to muster a PRE attack that will scare both of those animals (Wolf has a 13 PRE, Bear has a 20 PRE).

My father was a Ranger-Naturalist at Yellowstone National Park. In the park, a black bear will, if not hungry, back down from a wolverine. In winter, a hungry black bear will drive off the wolverine, and kill it if need be. A grizzly will not back down, and if the wolverine presses the issue, the grizzly will kill it. Wolves in groups will use team tactics on a wolverine. Wolverines are most dangerous to people, who tend to underestimate them.

If a wolverine (or bear) wants your lunch, let them have it. New lunches are cheaper than hospital stays, even at National Park prices.

I remember reading a magazine article by a naturalist on wolverines years ago, describing various people's encounters with the animals, including one of his own. He claimed that while flying over a wooded area in a helicopter he saw a wolverine in a clearing. Curious as to how the animal would react to the chopper, he persuaded the pilot to bring it low over the clearing. The wolverine whirled to face the aircraft with teeth bared and wouldn't budge, even with the wind from the rotors whipping its fur.

Regarding the wolverine's strength, keep in mind that while their size may be less than the American timber wolf, like their kin the badger their bodies are built for digging, not running. They have heavily muscled forelegs and shoulders. Some stories from the article I mentioned above were of wolverines breaking into empty cabins looking for food, including ripping iron bars out of windows.

[...]including ripping iron bars out of windows.

That's a lot of STR (or tunneling) Strongly focussed. For the fearlessness, I think an EGO Bonus aplies best. Afaik the green Latern build from hyper-man has "Fearless, +30 EGO only against Fear". Of course, it depends on the fact if you have Fear based PRE-Attacks countered by EGO or PRE.

When they latch onto poeple the way dogs do, it may be a Grab. I wish I had my D&D books here, could take a look what they did about them (I know, different system. But similar in-game tactics for animals).