Tapping into mental communication

quozaxx

You can try to listen into a conversation. You can tap into radio and telephone lines. But what about mental communication?

How do you "listen" into a conversation between 2 Mind Links or Telepathy?

At first I thought it would be Telepathy: Surface thoughts (since mental communication is surface thoughts) but that requires you to "Attack" an individual, and very possibly found out that you are trying to "listen in".

Especially if the roll is not high enough to cover your tracks.

So, how would you write this up? A Detect? A talent? A form of Telepathy with the "Invisible Power Effects" Advantage? A new skill (possibly in a PSI genre game)?

Re: Tapping into mental communication

From a simple point of view two-way telepathy is pretty similar to Mind Link (Only others with this Mind Link), UOO or implanting a HRRP transmitter into the brain (useable without the need to speak).

So I would take a look at HRRP and how intercepting is done there, then apply that to your action.

Note that Active Senses/Transmitting Senses can be made invisible by buying IPE, then there is no way to intercept them.

About understanability: I would just asume not encrypted mental communications are easy to understand once localized and encryption only makes sense if the target of a Mind Link has it too.

I just stumbeled about something:

6E1 259:

"A character who uses Telepathy and succeeds with all the appropriate rolls against someone in a Mind Link can “overhear” or “tap into” any communication made by, addressed to, or that “goes through” that target."

I just stumbeled about something:

6E1 259:

"A character who uses Telepathy and succeeds with all the appropriate rolls against someone in a Mind Link can “overhear” or “tap into” any communication made by, addressed to, or that “goes through” that target."

Thank you. I was looking closely at Enhanced Senses. I guess I should have looked more closely at Telepathy.

Thank you. I was looking closely at Enhanced Senses. I guess I should have looked more closely at Telepathy.

Even better, just found that under Telepathy:

"Mental communication via Telepathy, Telepathic Mind Control, a Mind Link, or other forms of mental contact takes place at the surface thoughts level." 6E1 297

So you can intercept it all, and it's a EGO+0 Effect