Do you do full character sheets for NPC heroic suoers?

phoenix240

I used to do full character sheets for pretty much every superhuman NPC. I've fallen out of the habit recently and tend to just "wing it" when it comes to NPC heroes. Usually they are their to prove a point (often to be "worfed"), for color or for pure role play so attributes aren't really required.

Re: Do you do full character sheets for NPC heroic suoers?

No problem.

I do tend to detail the NPCs - it makes for interesting bits of colour and background. Say your team's gadgeteer is being hunted/hated by Utility. He's had a few clashes with an NPC hero as well... so when that hero has been badly beaten by Utility, he could contact the gadgeteer & ask for some assistance or tips on how to handle their mutual foe.

In my campaign, Stinger (PC) & Dragonfly (NPC) both got mutated in the same lab mishap. Stinger kept her human looks, Dragonfly turned into a 'bug-man'. Stinger is a full-time hero now, unable to spend much time trying to help Dragonfly find a cure for his looks. In a 'cut scene', Dragonfly, increasingly bitter & jealous, has been visited by an agent of Malachite. Malachite can help him... if Dragonfly agrees to steal some records from L'Institut Thoth. Nothing important, just files on some villains under study.

Dragonfly will probably become a traitor, betray Stinger & her team, and come to a sticky end. Not bad for an old villain write-up I spent 20 minutes updating to 5ER.

We usually sheet out all heroes and villains. I must admit that we are as much into strategic combat as we are into role-playing. The GM can take pride in a well designed villain team built to the same specifications as the players. In our last game, we would actually give kudos to the GM if he could beat us with a team made of the same point totals that didn't break any of our house rules (most of our house rules restrict builds like EDM plus transdimensional attacks, tunneling plus mental attacks, ect.).

Anybody that has a reasonable chance of participating in a combat gets a full character sheet. A number of NPC heroes are just names and power SFX listings, and each will get statted out if the PC heroes seem interested in him or her.

NPC villains are a different matter. I tend to do a full character sheet of all villains, even those not likely to put in an appearance in combat. I just like to know what they can or can't do for plot / subplot / background info purposes.

NPC heroes and Villains are usually not totally written up in my games. I have all of their powers/Characteristics. I get most of their Complications. I usually rough in Skills/Perks/talents focusing only on what immediately comes to mind. If the character becomes more than an occasional guest star, I will finish their sheet just like they were an npc.

I don't usually give full writeups to NPCs either. Unless I'm going to have need of their combat stats, I can usually just do an NPC on an index card with a description of their powerset, a couple of skill entries and important Disadvantages. Unless I actually anticipate the PCs fighting with the NPC, that's sufficient.