Which export format do you like to use at conventions?

I've been playtesting adventures for GenCon, and one thing that keeps coming up is my choice of export formats. I like to use the "RTF Simple Heroic 6E" but it seems to be confusing a lot of the players in the playtesting sessions.

Personally, I think this is a well-organized export format, with a minimum of redundant information and a lot of 'clutter' which isn't needed at convention games eliminated (point costs, etc.) However, there's a disconnect with some of the experienced Hero gamers who use more 'traditional' character sheets in their games, and they're having trouble finding the information they need on these modified character sheets.

I generally tag my convention games 'Some Hero experience recommended' so this problem is likely to come up again. I need to look at some other export formats.

What export formats do you like to use at convention games? Which ones do your players find easiest to use?

Thanks in advance for your advice and feedback.

Re: Which export format do you like to use at conventions?

I haven't found any export formats that work quite how I want them to, so I usually just roll my own (type it in a two-column format manually). With a little formatting, I've gotten a layout that looks similar to the example characters in the 6E book.

I definitely condense though - point costs, gone. Limitations on frameworks just listed for the framework, not each power separately. Abbreviations like OIF and 1/2 END, and not listing modifiers that are already subsumed by the definition of the power (such as Expanded Result Group / Limited Target Group for Transform).

I haven't had any confusion with them, but I've only run a couple convention games so far.

Like Ice9, I make my own. I strip out almost all the numbers (there's rarely a need to know costs in a con game). I'm a big fan of the "character sheet should be evokative of the game" school of thought, so I do a fair amount of design on them. I've posted my charsheets before, but if anyone wants to see them I'll be happy to post one again.

I looked into making my own, but my brain doesn't work that way - I'd read the "how to" someone had posted, then spend an hour with my brain struggling to decide which ear it would most like to crawl out of.

The .PDF export in HD6 is sufficient for most characters - it is getting a bit hard to read with my current round of Fantasy HERO characters, as the more limitations you put onto things, the worse it parses on the PDF character sheet.

it is getting a bit hard to read with my current round of Fantasy HERO characters, as the more limitations you put onto things, the worse it parses on the PDF character sheet.
I've found custom limitations/advantage to "sum up" a group of modifiers are useful for that purpose. For example, instead of "OIF (staff), Gestures, Incantations, RAR (Thaumaturgy), Extra Time (full phase)" on every single spell, you could just put "Thaumaturgy (-2)" and define that at the start or end of the powers section.

One I used recently was "Aura" which was the composition of No Range, Constant, Uncontrolled, Reduced END (0 END), and Lockout.

I've found custom limitations/advantage to "sum up" a group of modifiers are useful for that purpose. For example, instead of "OIF (staff), Gestures, Incantations, RAR (Thaumaturgy), Extra Time (full phase)" on every single spell, you could just put "Thaumaturgy (-2)" and define that at the start or end of the powers section.

One I used recently was "Aura" which was the composition of No Range, Constant, Uncontrolled, Reduced END (0 END), and Lockout.

Since I have no Hero Designer and have to write those things myself, I usually go that way too.

Personal Limitation(-1/4) just was short for "not while in are with Temperature or Pressure und the human comfort zone and not vs. cold or low pressure based attacks/damage" (-1/4)

• 2 weeks later...

Like Ice9' date=' I make my own. I strip out almost all the numbers (there's rarely a need to know costs in a con game). I'm a big fan of the "character sheet should be evokative of the game" school of thought, so I do a fair amount of design on them. I've posted my charsheets before, but if anyone wants to see them I'll be happy to post one again.[/quote']

My Left 4 Dead character sheets are modeled after teh bunnehs. After he lopped off my head and stole my Quickening as payment, he told me they look pretty good.

I looked into making my own, but my brain doesn't work that way - I'd read the "how to" someone had posted, then spend an hour with my brain struggling to decide which ear it would most like to crawl out of.

The .PDF export in HD6 is sufficient for most characters - it is getting a bit hard to read with my current round of Fantasy HERO characters, as the more limitations you put onto things, the worse it parses on the PDF character sheet.

I don't know if I could ever build an Export Template from scratch, but I have learned to modify other people's templates to fit my criteria and design biases. ie Most of the sheets use Sans Serif fonts which I find to be hard on my eyes, so I change those to Serifed Type faces that I enjoy and that don't make my eyes cross