Junior Superheroes

phoenix240

Re: Junior Superheroes

would anyone care to propose a definition of "super?" Preferably Christopher?

6E1 34 is my definition.

Normals are...normals.

Heroic characters are mooks for Supers.

Superheroic characters are - superhuman.

He defined Superhumans to start at 100, wich is something totally different to making a superhuman on 100 points - when superhumans are defined to start at 300.

Some of you seem to be arguing semantics or Meta-gaming issues. "Super" has to be defined in the context of the setting. When your opponents are those big kids in sixth grade, the strength of an adult is a superpower. Flight is cheap, yet I have yet to see anyone in the real world with this ability, so some 10-year-old kid with flight is a "super" as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know that I'd want to play a teenaged character, what with all the angst, etc., but an elementary-school kid with superpowers, however feeble, might be fun to play. Just don't send Doctor Destroyer or Mechanon after my 9-year-old speedster (who can run at 20 mph -- woo=hoo!).

I wonder how to model bursting into tears? As a presence attack? Low-powered mind-control?

Yeah' date=' you're probably right. I'm having a devil of time whipping up interest in Little Fears.[/quote']

I did make an 11 year old flying brick "Little Miss Adventure" for Dave Mattingly's BYOB (Bring Your Own Brick) GenCon game.

I had to choose between her and Enforcer so she ended up a villain. :)

And I had a team of 13 year olds (with one exception) for my universe called "The Class of 09"...but now it's 2011 and they're all college sophomores...

6E1 34 is my definition.

"Immensely powerful individuals the likes of which don't exist in the real world?"

I'm sure I could build that on 100 pts.

6E1 34 is my definition.

He defined Superhumans to start at 100, wich is something totally different to making a superhuman on 100 points - when superhumans are defined to start at 300.

Who is "he?" When were "superhumans defined to start at 300?" I'm not sure what you're saying with this sentence, but if you are defining "super" as "built on 300+" points then a 100 pts super is impossible - by definition.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests I look up Aunt May

6E1 34 is my definition.

Normals are...normals.

Heroic characters are mooks for Supers.

Superheroic characters are - superhuman.

Ah, I see you're talking the book guidelines.

I'm defining superhumans as invidivuals that have abilities the push or exceed the norms we assume in reality. The ability to fly, shoot lasers out of your eyes etc. Point total really doesn't matter. It's how you spend those points. I can easly make a 300 point character that is entirely normal: incredibly skilled, talents and likely very well connected but as "normal" as any Joe you'd meet on the street physically particularly if you get really specific about Skills.

Ah, I see you're talking the book guidelines.

I'm defining superhumans as invidivuals that have abilities the push or exceed the norms we assume in reality. The ability to fly, shoot lasers out of your eyes etc. Point total really doesn't matter. It's how you spend those points. I can easly make a 300 point character that is entirely normal: incredibly skilled, talents and likely very well connected but as "normal" as any Joe you'd meet on the street physically particularly if you get really specific about Skills.

Is he as normal as a Competent Normal, who his built on 100 points? Or doesn't he have the "skills and experience of 20 people"?

Unless you also define Normal to be somewhere in the 300 point range, he will be superhuman - he knows more, has better charactersitics, better skills, better connections. Sure, he isn't nessesary able to fold mechanon to tincan sizes, but this could make a very unusual skill based superhuman/superhero.

Is he as normal as a Competent Normal, who his built on 100 points? Or doesn't he have the "skills and experience of 20 people"?

Unless you also define Normal to be somewhere in the 300 point range, he will be superhuman - he knows more, has better charactersitics, better skills, better connections. Sure, he isn't nessesary able to fold mechanon to tincan sizes, but this could make a very unusual skill based superhuman/superhero.

The character will be in the Superhuman pt range in Hero System guidelines. That doesn't make him superhuman as general defintion. I can build a 200 pt cabbie that really has nothing exceptional about him. A 300 point character with nothing but general skills and contacts and typical statistics is going to be annhilated in a same for 300 points superheroes. Remmber the point totals in the book are guidelines not set in stone unshakable definitions.

The character will be in the Superhuman pt range in Hero System guidelines. That doesn't make him superhuman as general defintion. I can build a 200 pt cabbie that really has nothing exceptional about him. A 300 point character with nothing but general skills and contacts and typical statistics is going to be annhilated in a same for 300 points superheroes. Remmber the point totals in the book are guidelines not set in stone unshakable definitions.

That is a function of the build you made. Unless you make deliberately weak choices, Captian Cab (300 points) will be the way better driver than your average, skilled Normal Cab Driver. He has connection in power/masses no normal human can archieve. A braod set of skills no normal human can archieve. And can afford to have charactistics on levels (within NCM) that nobody else could have archieved - all at the same time.

That he can't beat a brick is not a matter of him being weaker that said brick, but just being not build to beat a brick (and actually seeing them in the same campaing is unlikely). The same way a 175 point Mage is not build to beat a 175 point warrior in a sword-duel without magic. Or a 650 point Supermage would be beaten by a 400 point Brick when magic isn't avalible.

Let me try this a different way:

No, you cannot make a Superhuman (Capital S) under standard Hero System point guidelines for less than X points if you use those guidelines.

But you can create characters that have superhuman abilities for fewer points than that and these characters would generally be considered superhumans (small S) barring an unusual setting.

You can create characters at the Superhuman point total that have no superhuman abilities too. They generally would not be considered superhuman in their settings.

Started a new thread for the "What defines a Superhuman" debate. If you want to debate that instead of discussing underaged superheroes' date=' you can now do so without pulling this one off the rails.[/quote']

Well I'd fired my last salvo in the debate in this thread but it was probably good idea to split off a thread. Thanks.

I am currently running a group which has 3 adults and 2 new players (ages 13 & 17). The campaign theme is set in the year 2050 and the players are running a group of PCs whose ages are 13-17. We call it the "post apocalyptic teenage superhero" group. It's been a pretty interesting campaign and of the 3 campaigns I currently have ongoing they prefer the teen one. I think the situations associated with their ages and the fact the 2 newbies identify with the PCs more than an all adult group is why the prefer this campaign over the others.