Junior Superheroes

phoenix240

Re: Junior Superheroes

A short look to herocentral reveals 5 Teen Champions Campaings, three of them are recruting players:

http://www.herocentral.net/campaignListing.htm?genre=Teen+Champions

Afaik the two who are active and recrcuting are still in 5E and the Darren George-Campaign could be a misunderstanding of how to use herocentral, but you should try to ask the GM's directly.

My game was going to be a young teen based game but the players all being a lot older sort of changed it to late teens - 20's and I changed from my planed 300 to a standard 400 game (mostly because it would be easier as they did not want to be that young).

There is less published material for young teens and therefore low powered. Everything is more aimed at the "average" hero.

So if you plan to run a teen game you will either have to do your own stuff or heavily downgrade any opponents in any standard games. When you have to gang up on an average 400 point villain when you are low powered can be hard.

It will be a lot of low powered stuff to start with and you will have to get a lot of support from your players.

Older players tend not to want to play the "just got powers and they are not very powerful" game. They tend to be more the I have some experience and my powers are more powerful and I want to be a "real super hero with powers".

Young players may want to re live their youth and pretend they had powers. Older players will be less interested in re living things that happened a long time ago :).

But thats a general comment.

See how much support you get from your players as they may get bored if you plan to spend a lot of the campaign playing the being grounded for sneaking out at night and you can not tell mum and dad that you are infact fighting crime.

But have fun if you do get the game of the ground.

I expect there will be a lot more roleplaying / skill use / use of super powers outside their intended use etc with this sort of game .

Seems like it's not a popular campaign option but I think it could be fun with the right group. Probably best run as a tongue in cheek' date=' light hearted campaign if not outright comedy.[/quote']

I think the original Power Pack showed that junior superheroes could be done seriously. Some of the storylines were darker then you'd expect.

We were going to do the high school thing but by the time character creation was done we move it into the college years instead. The problem was building the the "one schtick' concepts in order to make some of them work required more points/higher Aps then the more versatile characters.

Interesting.

Thread starts like this

Has anyone ever run a campaign based on really young supers like Power Pack or PS 238? How did it go?

Out of four responses, three are talking about teen age heroes, despite the source materiel referenced being about people younger than that.

Apparently no one really wants to live through the first few phases of life again - or at least, they don't want to roleplay it.

I also find it interesting that there is an unquestioned assumption that younger = less powerful.

Five year olds built on 400 points or more are not somehow conceptually impossible.

Just absolutely terrifying.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary had to explain to Lucius that Power Pack is not the same as Power Puff, but in both cases we're talking very young heroes.

A short look to herocentral reveals 5 Teen Champions Campaings, three of them are recruting players:

http://www.herocentral.net/campaignListing.htm?genre=Teen+Champions

Afaik the two who are active and recrcuting are still in 5E and the Darren George-Campaign could be a misunderstanding of how to use herocentral, but you should try to ask the GM's directly.

I'm not talking about "Teen Champions" but games specifically for character 12 and below. Junior Champions. :)

PS238 is a fun read. And the game that Hero Put out was well done.

That said, I'm not sure if I saw many, if any games set up for that.

Something that's been remarked on before.

A product like PS238, incorporating the Core Rules (or such of the rules as are significant) along with a setting and showing how to implement Hero rules to realize that setting, is a great idea - IF and ONLY IF you're using a setting that people would actually want to play in.

I still wish they'd try it with a fantasy setting.

Lucius Alexander

But you can forget about Palindromedary Hero. There just aren't enough palindromedary fans.

Then also' date=' at what powerlevel do you picture them? Very Powerfull Heroic? 300? 400?[/quote']

I didn't have a specific power value in mind. Though I guess a really high powered game with kids runs the risk of turning from "Junior Champions to "Its a Good Life". :)

I didn't have a specific power value in mind. Though I guess a really high powered game with kids runs the risk of turning from "Junior Champions to "Its a Good Life". :)

The problem is that it could be hard to play superhumans under a certain level. You can hardly make a super with 175 points.

One solution I can think: Define Junior as 300 points, Teen as 400, and Champions as sowhere around Powerfull Superheroic. That way you avoid the problem of "trying to fit the shtick in under 300 points", mentioned above.

The problem is that it could be hard to play superhumans under a certain level. You can hardly make a super with 175 points.

Brother Rose, "The Flying Monk"

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [3]

13 DEX 6 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 6

13 CON 3 12-

9 BODY -1

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3 - 4

13 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6

3/5 PD 1 Total: 3/5 PD (0/2 rPD)

3/5 ED 1 Total: 3/5 ED (0/2 rED)

6 SPD 20 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

8 REC 4

30 END 2

20 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 69

Movement:

Running: 7m/14m

Flight: 7m/28m

Leaping: 5m/10m

Swimming: 1m/2m

Cost Powers END

40 Sort of the point...: +2 SPD, Cost Doubled for Exceeding 4 (+1) (40 Active Points)

10 The Flying Monk: Flight 7m, x4 Noncombat, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (24 Active Points); Conditional Power Only if already made a full move Running that phase; can only go noncombat if already used noncombat Running (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 20 Minutes (Secret herbal potion; -1/4) 2

3 No thank you, I won't stand still and let you land a solid blow: Resistant Protection (2 PD/2 ED) (6 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 20 Minutes (-1/4), Unified Power (The Flying Monk; -1/4) [1 cc]

2 Regeneration (1 BODY per 6 Hours) (6 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), 6 Boostable Charges (-1/2) [6 bc]

Notes: Brother Rose's special herbal potions only seem to work for him, but unfortunately not everyone believes that...

He's Fast!

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 Flying Dodge -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

3 Martial Throw +0 +1 3d6 +v/10, Target Falls

3 Martial Grab -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR for holding on

Skills

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Acrobatics 12-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Bureaucratics 12-

3 Trading 12-

0 Language: English (idiomatic)

2 Language: Latin (fluent conversation)

3 Jack of All Trades

2 1) PS: Florist 12-

2 2) PS: Flower Arranging 12-

2 3) PS: Gardener 12-

2 4) PS: Herbalist 12-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Canon Law 12-

2 2) KS: Flowers 12-

2 3) KS: Herblore 12-

2 4) KS: The Fastest Routes Through the City 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 105

Total Cost: 174

100+ Disadvantages

15 Dependent NPC: Brother Orchid Very Frequently (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC)

15 Psychological Complication: Monastic Vows (Common; Strong)

5 Distinctive Features: Monastic Habit (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Social Complication: Holy Orders Infrequently, Major

10 Rivalry: Professional (Mercury Man and the FTD; Rival is Significantly More Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Unaware of Rivalry)

5 Hunted: People wanting the secret of his herbal preparations Infrequently (As Pow; Mildly Punish)

15 Hunted: Ecclesiastical Superiors Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Watching)

Total Disadvantage Points: 75

Background/History: Brother Rose gained the nickname "The Flying Monk" when he started doing the deliveries for his monastic order's floral business.

Personality/Motivation: Brother Rose loves the Church and flowers, not necessarily in that order. He has an irrational resentment of Florist's Transworld Delivery because their symbol "Mercury Man" is a Pagan God.

Quote: May the Saint forgive me, but I hate Valentine's Day....how many more orders do I have to deliver?

Powers/Tactics: Unless he is cornered or must act to protect the innocent, Brother Rose responds to violence by running away.

Campaign Use: Florist Friar

Appearance: Brother Rose is almost always to be found in his monkish habit. Wearing it is one of his monkish habits.

Lucius Alexander

Copyright, Palindromedary Enterprises

I like that character(repped) but he seems more "Heroic"(I'd could see him in just about any genre) than "Super".
B

Well, he can move in excess of 70 km per hour.

Maybe I'll post his nephew, Brother Orchid, who has STR 40

Lucius Alexander

Superpalindromedary

Why not? I've a run a game with superhumans built on 100 points. I guess it depends on how you define "superhuman". If you mean godlike and more than any "normal" in every endeavor. Sure, you can't but if you mean possesing abilities that exceed the norm (or realistic or even possible) that's not hard. You could make most of the X men in their original appearance for around 150 pts or less.

Why not? I've a run a game with superhumans built on 100 points.

How? It is can be hard to even build a Heroic character with only 175, when you can buy most of your equipment with Money, not points.

And 100 Points - the value for a Competent Normal - is hardly suiteable for Superhuman. Unless your limit normal Humans to be Skilled Normals at the same time.

How? It is can be hard to even build a Heroic character with only 175, when you can buy most of your equipment with Money, not points.

And 100 Points - the value for a Competent Normal - is hardly suiteable for Superhuman. Unless your limit normal Humans to be Skilled Normals at the same time.

It's not superhuman to be able to lift a car? To fly? Teleport? Be essentially immune to small arms fire (it might hurt it won't kill you) or come back from the dead? There are going to be people more skilled than you, with more connections, etc sure but that's true at about any point level. And still the vast, vast majority of people in the world are 0 pter "Normals" (or less if elderly, disable or children) maybe with a few points here and there if they're exceptional in some area.

No, you probably aren't going to make up one of the Avengers on 150 points but you'd be surprised what you can create.

And still the vast' date=' vast majority of people in the world are 0 pter "Normals" (or less if elderly, disable or children) maybe with a few points here and there if they're exceptional in some area.[/quote']

I my understanding, the vast majority are 25-ers. And a lot of Competent Normals are out there, so being on that level is by no means "special".

Of course, when you set "average" people way lower than the book suggests, then even a 100 or 150 Point guy can be superhuman. In effect you just moved the point where superhumans start way down (from 300 to 100 is a lot). The result could be that there is little room left to make normals on different power levels.

I my understanding, the vast majority are 25-ers. And a lot of Competent Normals are out there, so being on that level is by no means "special".

Of course, when you set "average" people way lower than the book suggests, then even a 100 or 150 Point guy can be superhuman. In effect you just moved the point where superhumans start way down (from 300 to 100 is a lot). The result could be that there is little room left to make normals on different power levels.

Well obviously we disagree on the point spread of the world but aside from that I don't see having the ability to fly, bouce bullets off your skin or whatever else doesn't make you "special" and indeed, superhuman. It doean't matter if everyone else in the world is made up on more points than you. "Superhuman" isn't a matter of point total. it's being able to perform above the human range or do things "real" people can't do.