OK, so I ordered 6E Fantasy Hero

Pizza Man

It should arrive on Wednesday.

The only example of a Fantasy character is in the Basic Rulebook page 126.

Valarius the Harper.

All his spells are purchased separately.

Can you use a multipower framework for spells?

Is the spell system free or structured?

Are starting characters agent level at 175 points?

I'm actually looking to build a concept I've had for many years. A simple cleric of an agricultural deity suddenly thrust in the world of adventure. He's not really the adventuring type, but ends up doing great deeds of renown and becoming famous in spite of his best plans.

He will still wander out at night and bless farmer's fields when no one can see.

But he's not a druid or a ranger. He is a 4-H kinda guy who hunts down vampires, and prefers well ordered farmlands to wilderness.

My wife brought him back to mind when I helped her make a character. She has two powers that would fit this concept to a T.

1) Sweet Campsite. Major Transform 4D6. 8M area Effect +1/2

Makes Soft grass bed for sleeping. Broadleaf Rainproof Roof. Thorn

Bushes form Protective Hedge around Perimeter. No insects, snakes

or mice. Dispelled by time, natural forces, or by another application

the power.

2) Nature’s Bounty 4D6 Major Transform (something from nothing)

Local plants produce a variety of fruits and vegetables 8M area effect

both of these powers are 60 active points.

Certainly a power to bless a farmers field that would say, increase yield by 50-100%, would eat at least as many points just with the area of effect cost.

The only way I can think to keep the cost down is thru a multipower. Not sure if Multipowers or 60 active points are allowed. I won't know for sure until Wednesday, or if the great minds here enlighten me.

What are the starting limits of your campaign?

Re: OK, so I ordered 6E Fantasy Hero

Multipowers are allowed if your GM says they're allowed. AFAIK, standard 'by the book' however, spells are bought separately. Limitations bring the cost down quite a bit (either of those spells could easily take 5 minutes to cast, for example). Also, in 5e, standard Turakian Age FH rules included a cost multiplier than divided spells final costs by 3.

If I ever run FH again, I'll probably raise the starting points for PCs, but I may well require point expenditure for equipment instead of purchase.

Funny you should mention Fantasy Hero. I just started re-reading it.

Fantasy Hero is written generically as possible, while still retaining the fantasy feel. Just about any sub-genre of fantasy from gritty low fantasy to epic, godlike characters can be made. There are several magic systems detailed within the book that are meant to be used as examples of what you may do with the setting. Some use individual buys, some use power frameworks, and some use don't even use "powers" at all, instead using skills.

Don't walk in expecting a cookie cutter setting and rules. Fantasy Hero is yet another box full of tools that allows a GM to make his fantasy game.

Blessing the Fields: Life Support (Immunity: All pests, weeds, blights; Safe from drought; Safe from frost), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Uncontrolled (stops working if abandoned, cursed, desecrated) (+1/2), MegaScale (1m = 1 km; +1), Cannot alter scale (-1/4), Usable As Attack (+3/4), Grantor can only grant the power to others (31 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to Activate, -1 1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; Only to activate Very Common; -3/4), Limited Power Only to protect fields being actively cultivated, or that were cultivated within past year (-1/2), Limited Power Must circumambulate the area to be blessed - at least one complete circuit (-1/2), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Blessing will not work if somene is actively cursing the field or the priest at the same time. ; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Perceivable (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Requires A Roll (Priest Skill roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; -1/4)

Real Cost: 5

Lucius Alexander

Blessing a palindromedary

Blessing the Fields: Life Support (Immunity: All pests, weeds, blights; Safe from drought; Safe from frost), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Uncontrolled (stops working if abandoned, cursed, desecrated) (+1/2), MegaScale (1m = 1 km; +1), Cannot alter scale (-1/4), Usable As Attack (+3/4), Grantor can only grant the power to others (31 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to Activate, -1 1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; Only to activate Very Common; -3/4), Limited Power Only to protect fields being actively cultivated, or that were cultivated within past year (-1/2), Limited Power Must circumambulate the area to be blessed - at least one complete circuit (-1/2), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Blessing will not work if somene is actively cursing the field or the priest at the same time. ; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Perceivable (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Requires A Roll (Priest Skill roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; -1/4)

Real Cost: 5

Lucius Alexander

Blessing a palindromedary

Wow.

I like that. Real cost 5 points. Whats the active point cost?

Hadn't thought of that spell in terms of life support. I was thinking a transform. I like this.

Safe from Drought, Safe from Frost are a point each. safe from all Pests, Weeds, Blights/Disease. Are these 5 points each?

I'm just going to steal that right out. Thank you!

Darn. I have to spread some rep around before I can zap you again.

Wow.

I like that. Real cost 5 points. Whats the active point cost?

It's in the midst of Lucius's fine write-up -- don't blame you for missing it. 31 AP, easily within the parameters of most campaigns. :thumbup:

Oh, and I Repped him on your behalf (not that he didn't deserve it regardless). ;)

31 points. Oh yeah I did miss that.

I tried it out on HD and ended up with 47 active points and 6 real cost.

But I gave 5 points each to Immunity from Insects, Weeds and Blights

Here is what I came up with

Blessing The Fields: Life Support: Immunity to All Insects, Weeds, Blights, Safe from Drought, Safe from Frost. Area of Effect 4M (+1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Uncontrolled (stops working if abandoned, cursed or desecrated+1/2), Megascale (1M = 1KM; +1), Cannot alter scale (-1/4),

Extra time (1 Hour, only to Activate -1 ½), Increased Endurance (3x END; -1), Requires use of OAF Holy Symbol (-1 OAF), Limited Power Only to protect fields being actively cultivated, or that were cultivated within past year (-1/2), Limited Power Must circumambulate the area to be blessed - at least one complete circuit (-1/2), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Blessing will not work if someone is actively cursing the field or the priest at the same time. ; -1/4), Requires a Skill Roll 14- (-1/4), Usable by Others (-1/4), Grantor can only grant power to others, Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)

47 active points, Real Cost 6 points. 15 END

If you think about it, you'll see Safe from Frost is the same as Safe from Cold, whihc is 2 pts. I based Safe from Drought on Safe from Heat, also 2 pts, although possibly I should have used Only Eats 1/yr which also means a character doesn't need water, which would also be 2 pts but implies that the crops would perform just as well in poor soil - not sure if I want to include that, though. The protection from pests, weeds, blight etc I based on the 5 pt Immunity to all disease.

So, Base Cost 9

I figure the average farm loses something to these hazards each season, so blessed farmland is bound to be more productive.

I can even see the Power leading into adventures. Example: A blight has struck a community despite the blessing. When the priest next passes through the villagers denounce him, some saying he did the ritual wrong, others that he deliberately cursed them, others that he is an imposter and no true priest, etc. But the priest realizes that something must have undone the effect by desecrating the land. The question is, what? It could be an evil cultist deliberately blighting the crops, a corpse buried on the land without proper rites, an incursion of undead....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to see a blessing of flocks and herds

Well that makes sense. I can deal with 9 points.

OK, I've been playing with spells on my HD. I'm stymied on one cause Its a limited or conditional power and I'm not sure what value to assign it.

What I want is a fireball like the example in Valarius the Harper BUT it only affect the undead and evil people (and maybe mimes). The goal is to have a killing attack for hostage situations that will not hurt the innocents within.

this is where I really need the book. DnD has alignments. I have no idea what in Hero fantasy. Has this spell been done anywhere?

OK, I've been playing with spells on my HD. I'm stymied on one cause Its a limited or conditional power and I'm not sure what value to assign it.

What I want is a fireball like the example in Valarius the Harper BUT it only affect the undead and evil people (and maybe mimes). The goal is to have a killing attack for hostage situations that will not hurt the innocents within.

this is where I really need the book. DnD has alignments. I have no idea what in Hero fantasy. Has this spell been done anywhere?

Good luck with THAT!

You can try Selective. Maybe Hole in the Middle.

You're very unlikely to get what you want with a Limitation, because what you describe is NOT a Limitation, unless you expect that you'll often be wanting to destroy the innocent along with the guilty.

Even in a game with alignment, what you're looking for could be problematic.

"Don't worry, I'll hit them with my special Pizza-Man-Gets-The-Bad-Guys-Blast!"

*BOOM*

Most of the bandits are still standing because they were Nuetral in alignment, but at least you got the turly Evil leaders. Also, you've killed two of the hostages, who happened to be of Evil alignment (hey, you don't expect all Evil people to openly proclaim their alignment do you?)

You might want to consider a STUN only attack that leaves everyone alive but (hopefully) unconscious.

Some things that MIGHT work for a Limitation (or for an all or nothing Attack Vs Alternate Defense)

Undead. Might even manage to catch necromancers, who are tainted with the same forces.

Armed. Won't help though against a monster threatening a hostage with claws and fangs.

One last idea. Buy your big boom, and Naked Advantage: Personal Immunity. Put some form of Usable on Others Advantage on the Naked Advantage, and share your immunity with your designated rescuees. Some people might consider this munchkin, but I can be a LOT more munchkin than that if I want to.

edit: I looked up Hole in the Middle. For +1/2 it can be "any size and shape." You could argue that it doesn't have to be contiguous, especially if you took Area Effect: Any Area. If I were running the game, I might require a further Advantage "Gerrymander."

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary, Area Effect, Megascale, Personal Immunity

Hey, I'm having fun with the HD.

OK, try this: Specific

Summon Sickle Summons a flaming sickle of Divine Justice.

Body Drain 3D6. Affect Desolid (+1/2).

Requires use of OAF holy symbol to summon (-1), No Range (-1/2), Conditional Power: Can only harm the undead/Necromancers. Common, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Custom Lim: Physical Manifestation: Summoned weapon can be knocked out of caster’s hand just like any other weapon (-1/4)

---Active points 45.---Real cost 11--- END 4

How (or if) alignments are done is dependent on setting and GM and such. I wouldn't let you do 'only against evil people' because morality isn't a codifiable universal force in my game. Only vs Undead, Only vs Demons or stuff like that, sure, but 'only vs evil people'? No dice. My suggestion: Buy the spell as AE selective.

OK, here is the sample character made without the benefit of any book other that the basic one (and what I've learned today).

**** this will likely change dramatically when I get real Fantasy hero material.

Brenton Woe

10 STR

14 DEX 10

15 CON 5

18 INT 8

10 EGO

10 PRE 0

5 OCV 10

5 DCV 10

3 OMCV

3 DMCV

3 SPD 10

5 PD 3

5 ED 3

14 REC 10

30 END 2

10 BODY

30 STUN 5

--------------------74 total characteristics

Talents skills and perks

3 Lightning Reflexes (17 DEX for purposes of initiative)

4 Fringe Benefit: Priest, Right of Shelter (at any temple/monastery of the faith)

2 PS: Farmer 11-

3 Bureaucratics 11-

3 High Society 11-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Paramedics 13-

3 Concealment 13-

3 TF: Riding Animals, Carts and Carriages

2 WF: Axes, Maces, Hammers, Clubs and Staffs

2 WF: Farming Tools: Pitchforks, Sickles, Scythes, etc.

2 KS: Personal Religion 11-

2 KS: Religions of fantasy world setting 11-

13 Power: Magic Skill 16-

1 Literacy for native language

1 Language: Halfling basic conversation

2 Language: Elvish (basic + literacy)

6 +3 CSLs for Summon Sickle spell

------------------------------------- 49 total Skills and perks

Powers/Spells

--- Active points: 31 ----- Real Cost: 5 ----END: 9

Nature’s Bounty 4D6Major Transform (Something from Nothing: Summons Food), Plants sprout multiple Fruits and Vegetables in a 4 meter area. Reverts with Harvesting, time or dismissal by caster). Area of effect 4M (+1/4),

Extra time (5 minutes -2), OAF (requires use of OAF Holy symbol -1), Increased Endurance Cost (3x END; -1), All or Nothing (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a Skill Roll (14- roll; -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Limited power: Will not work id area is defiled, being cursed, or caster is being cursed (-1/4), Restrainable (only be means other than grabs or entangles; -1/4), Limited Power: will only work if plants are living in area affected (-1/4)

---50 active points---6 real points---15 End

Summon Sickle Summons a flaming sickle of Divine Justice.

Body Drain 3D6. Affect Desolid (+1/2).

Requires use of OAF holy symbol to summon (-1), No Range (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Custom Lim: Physical Manifestation: Summoned weapon can be knocked out of caster’s hand just like any other weapon (-1/4)

---Active points 45.---Real cost 13--- END 4

Healing: Body 2D6. Limited Range (+1/4)

Requires use of OAF holy symbol to cast (-1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a roll 14-(-1/4)

------- 25 active points --- Real cost 9 points ---END: 2 ---

Shield of Protection. Power Defense 15 points. Magical property of shield carried.

OIF Magical shield strapped to arm or back. Detects as magic. (-1/2)

--------- 15 Active points --- Real cost: 10 ---------

----------------------43 total powers

----------------------58 Skills, Talents and Perks

----------------------74 Characteristics

---------------------175 total points

Complications

15 Hunted by House Duncan, as ordered by Baron Archibald Duncan (AKA, the Robber Baron) Infrequent, Mo Pow, Kill (preferably with a bit of torture just before the kill)

10 Hunted by Lady Natasha (ex girlfriend and current vampire). Brenton Hunted down and killed her lover, the vampire who crossed her over. She’s still new at the whole vamp thing, but Brenton is an occasional hobby for her.

Infrequent, As Pow, harshly punish/kill/make vampire slave/Whatever comes first but just dead is fine too.

15 Subject to orders from church superiors, Infrequent, severe.

10 Code of conduct for a Cleric of an Agricultural deity (i.e. not much, common, moderate)