Weather Prediction

ned-kogar

Hello.

How would I best build the ability to predict upcoming weather conditions?

This is for a player's low-level back-up character. He just has a reliable knack for guessing what the weather's going to be like - in the region he's currently in - over the next 48 hours or so.

Precognition, even with limitations, looks too pricey, but it seems cheeky to allow a Detect to predict, rather than simply sense.

Weather's not a huge factor in the campaign, but the 'power' (more of a talent, really) might occasionally be useful.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers,

Ned

Re: Weather Prediction

What's the benefit for having such a Skill/Power? Or how dangerous is Weather to the Heroes/thier quests?

In a campaign where weather can be deadly it is more worth than in one where weather is never a problem.

Edit: Are there uses for on of the heroes powers? With a Change Environment to controll the weather being able to predict it would help a lot choosing the right time for effect X.

When it is only to know about dangeroues weather, Danger Sense allows you to sense dangers to an entire Area (the size of a City).

When the heroes are not really concerned about weather (most superheroes), it could fall under Sensory Talents(like Time, Range or Direction Sense): a 3 Point detect, no roll required.

I just put together something in HD that only costs 8 points. Not might need a little tweaking but I think it works for a base concept.

Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group) (40 Active Points);
Precognition (-1), Only to Check Weather (-1), Blackout (-1/2),
Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2), Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2),
Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

The idea being the character takes a second to check what the weather will look like. Could probably put in another limitation about how far into the future he can look. Sadly, I'm sure there's probably a few other things that need to be added that might make it more expensive, but if it's not going to be a super important power that is mainly for flavor this should be ok, even if you fudge a little more effect out of it when needed.

Some good thoughts, thanks all.

He'll need to roll to guess correctly... but - unless some last-minute unnatural (ie. superpowered) alteration occurs - he's likely to be right.

I imagine his power will have the occasional light benefit, or perhaps be a hook into a scenario, but the campaign is not weather-heavy.

He needs to step outside, smell the air and his gut instinct of incoming weather is spot on. It's not a rational process, and very slightly supernatural.

I'm thinking that Detect: Incoming Weather, Discriminatory is about right. I'll adjust Per rolls depending on how far ahead he's trying to predict.

How does that sound?

Ned

You can give Pre-/Retrogognition Time Modifiers Limitation (-1/2).

Overall you say "occasional light benefit, or perhaps a hook into a scenario" with clear limitations (must be outside), so I think just a 3 point Sensory talent that requires a normal Perception Roll is enough for that.

It sounds not more powerfull that Bump of Direction (know where norths is or how deep you are) or absolute Time Sense (know the time) for me.