This is sort of morbid curiosity but...

phoenix240

Re: This is sort of morbid curiosity but...

Some systems have lost their granularity (aka' date=' become dumbed down) over time. I hate to say this (because it's a beat-the-dead-horse argument that can often be wrong), but, over the last decade, it was partly due to wanting to get sales from the first MMORPG gamers and, also, video gamers in general.[/quote']

Mutants & Masterminds is definitely on this list. That's why I've stuck with 2E.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mutants & Masterminds is definitely on this list. That's why I've stuck with 2E.

When I was just getting into Pencil and Paper gaming, I wondered why older gamers would not change to a new system (asides from money concerns, which were obvious).

Now...funny enough...I get it.

There seems to be a real push in rpgs towards simplicity over all else. I can somewhat understand. Gamers are getting older overall and have less time to devote to dense rules sets and complicated rules. But it gets a little extreme sometimes because for me after an rpg passes a certain point in simplicity the rules become a waste of time. You may as well just go pure storytelling.

I'm not saying that M and M is at that point however. It seems like a game I could play for awhile but I might find limited awhile particularly as a GM.

Pardon me, but I don't think that rules becoming dumber/simpler was significantly brought about by older gamers.

Older gamers are diminishing every day (how's that for morbid?), and younger gamers are coming into the hobby also every day. A version of a system lasts for, what, five to six years these days? If a gamer is sold into a system at thirteen, then they'll probably be with it until at least early college...and this is a time when they have quite a bit of disposable income. And, hey...it's not like these teenagers tend to have a lot of Pencil & Paper RPG experience at that point.

Thankfully, some gaming companies have more integrity than others, and some gaming companies shoot for "simple" from the get-go.

Pardon me' date=' but I don't think that rules becoming dumber/simpler was [i']significantly[/i] brought about by older gamers.

Perhaps not but "I don't have as much free time as I did when I was younger" is the most common explanation given for preferring simpler games or switching to that seems simpler in my experience. But I haven't made done a study. Also "older" doesn't nessecarily mean elderly or younger mean a kid. It can just mean "When I was in high school/college" and din't have a job, kids, etc, vying for my time as I do now.

The community seems to be generally getting a little older in average age

Even if this is true, gaming companies still did try to reel in some sales from the MMORPG crowd. Plus, catering to the young'uns is not a strategy unique to Pencil & Paper RPGs.