DRAGON SLAVE!

Michael Hopcroft

Has anyone taken any of the spells from Slayers, the classic fantasy anime comedy, and adapted them to FH? I am terrible at calculating spells, but I was wondering how one would buld not only the powerful attack spells like the Dragon Slave, Giga Slave and Ra Tilt, but also the minor cantrips like the spell Lina Iberfse uses to attrack the fish ion the stream to her hook.

I also wonder if there is a way to write up the power to restore lost END by consuming food -- this would certainly explain Lina's enromous appetite, and she probably burns a lot of END on a daily basis casting spells. Or maybe she just likes food one heck of a lot.

Originally posted by Gawain

Here is a link--http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/herosource/herospells.html

This is a poretty good 4th edition writeup. I'm hoping Michael will revise this particular section for the 5th Edition rules or for the standards of Fantasy HERO as it is wirtten now.

In the Slayers world, several different peopl learn (or try to learn) the Dragon Slave. It's a wonder there are any villages left. Lina Inverse is so good at it that she doesn;t always need the full incantation (if she;s angry enough).

It's not just Dragon Slave I'm curious about, though. I'm curious about the spell that i call, for lack of a better name, Here, Fishy Fishy Fishy . This is the spell Lina uses to call the fish in a body of water and get them to bite on her hook, and has the material compnent that she usually makes the line out a strand of her own hair. A trivial spell by Slayers standards, but instant death if you happen to be a trout. Lina can catch an astounding number of fish with one casting (of the spell, not the line).

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

This is a poretty good 4th edition writeup. I'm hoping Michael will revise this particular section for the 5th Edition rules or for the standards of Fantasy HERO as it is wirtten now.

In the Slayers world, several different peopl learn (or try to learn) the Dragon Slave. It's a wonder there are any villages left. Lina Inverse is so good at it that she doesn;t always need the full incantation (if she;s angry enough).

It's not just Dragon Slave I'm curious about, though. I'm curious about the spell that i call, for lack of a better name, Here, Fishy Fishy Fishy . This is the spell Lina uses to call the fish in a body of water and get them to bite on her hook, and has the material compnent that she usually makes the line out a strand of her own hair. A trivial spell by Slayers standards, but instant death if you happen to be a trout. Lina can catch an astounding number of fish with one casting (of the spell, not the line).

For the fishing spell how about a Summon that has the Slavishly Devoted Advantage on it. You could even expand the class of Fish that it will summon. In case you get sick of eating trout.

A fish wouldn't cost very much so the Summons would be really cheap. About 1 point or so, unless you want to summon sharks or Marlin, then the cost is higher.

Tasha :)

The Giga Slave and Dragon Slave seem rather small for 8d6 and 6d6 killing respectively. They'd be nasty in play, but since they're supposed to KILL things, not stun them, the damage seems insufficient. High body people have a chance of survival, much less big dragons.

Also, it should definitely have Personal Immunity. Consider all the cases in which Lina fires it at point blank range (relatively speaking).

Originally posted by Victim

The Giga Slave and Dragon Slave seem rather small for 8d6 and 6d6 killing respectively. They'd be nasty in play, but since they're supposed to KILL things, not stun them, the damage seems insufficient. High body people have a chance of survival, much less big dragons.

Also, it should definitely have Personal Immunity. Consider all the cases in which Lina fires it at point blank range (relatively speaking).

One of the problems with modeling Dragon Slave is that, while it is definitely an area-effect attack, people who are not the direct target can survive being in close range of one. And sometimes characters who are not all that strudy can withstand one -- Martina, the nutzoid Zoamelgustar-wroshipper (and inventor), has survived three Dragon Slaves at point-blank range incluidng two within the space of ten seconds. Martina and bystander characters have what is reffered to as "comedic immunity" -- if it's funny for them not to die, they don't die and are not injured all that badly. Dragons, most mazoku, and other intended targets of thr Dragon Slave do not have such immunity nor do buildings. A certain character has survived several Dragon Slaves.

Nobody, however, is powerful enough to survive a direct hit from a Giga Slave except possibly LON herself. And the being upon whose power the source of a spell is drawn is generally immune to that spell, which is why you can't throw a Dragon Slave at Sharanigdo and expect it to kill him 9or, indeed, expect to survive the experience). LON is immune to all magic, but what do you expect from the Slayers equivalent of the Creator of the Universe?

And there are other ways to kill a dragon -- a certain character is known to have slain thousands of dragons at one time without raising a sweat, earning the enmity of all dragons for the next thousand years.

Originally posted by Snarf

A friend of mine who owns some Slayers box sets told me that Giga Slave write up was wrong. There should be a side effect where the world is destroyed if you fail your roll.

That is the threat that always hangs over Lina' head every time she is tempted to cast the spell. She's tried it three times. First time it worked perfectly. Second time LON took over her body, destoryed the intended target of the spell herself, and tried to absorb Lina's soul. Third time LON blocked the spell. It is doubtful that Lina will ever try to cast Giga Solave again.

It's not a question of the energies of the spell running out of control, but (so far) of LON controlling the energies of the spell. If it suits her pursposes, the spell will work. If it doesn;t, she will cause something else to happen. It has so far not suited LON's purposes to destory creation, so creation has not been destoryed.

One of the problems with modeling Dragon Slave is that, while it is definitely an area-effect attack, people who are not the direct target can survive being in close range of one. And sometimes characters who are not all that strudy can withstand one -- Martina, the nutzoid Zoamelgustar-wroshipper (and inventor), has survived three Dragon Slaves at point-blank range incluidng two within the space of ten seconds. Martina and bystander characters have what is reffered to as "comedic immunity" -- if it's funny for them not to die, they don't die and are not injured all that badly. Dragons, most mazoku, and other intended targets of thr Dragon Slave do not have such immunity nor do buildings. A certain character has survived several Dragon Slaves.

One idea I had for a Dragon Slave write up was to have 1 big killing attack for the main beam, a moderate area normal attack, and side effect: massive property damage to create the big crater. This way, even when the village is destroyed, all the people can chase after the characters.

Yeah, eventually. And I need to add the missing /CENTER tag...

And the X=Slave spells weren't meant to be exact translations... I was more interested in catching the spirit of the spell, not the exact effect.

>>> And the X=Slave spells weren't meant to be exact translations... I was more interested in catching the spirit of the spell, not the exact effect.<<<

In which case, it should be 20d6 killing with the limitation "downgraded to 4d6 EB, when that would be funnier"....:D

cheers, Mark