Limitation: Only Versus Stunning Blows

Panpiper

So, I want my character to be harder to stun but without forcing the GM to up the power level of the opponents making the game harder for everyone else (which would happen if I upped my PD and such). My character is already at maximum Constitution (beyond which it costs double). I want to take a 25% damage reduction that only kicks in when the damage that has penetrated is sufficient to otherwise stun my character.

My question is, in your opinion, how much of a limitation is this?

Re: Limitation: Only Versus Stunning Blows

You would get to apply the Stun Only limitation to the Damage Reduction power and also specify that it only applies if the attack would Stun the character. That additional Limitation is probably worth -1/2 so all together it's probably a total of -1 in Limitations to the Damage Reduction.

.... My character is already at maximum Constitution (beyond which it costs double)....

Out of curiosity, is this cost doubling due to this being for a Heroic game or just a Champions game using a house rule?

Either way it seems like the GM has a blended hard/soft cap structure with a clear method to get around it in place.

Why do you want to make extra work for you and the GM every time your character takes STUN damage?

Out of curiosity' date=' is this [u']cost doubling[/u] due to this being for a Heroic game or just a Champions game using a house rule?

Either way it seems like the GM has a blended hard/soft cap structure with a clear method to get around it in place.

Why do you want to make extra work for you and the GM every time your character takes STUN damage?

This would apply not to "every time the character takes STUN damage" but rather, every time the character would otherwise be stunned. It would specifically not work at all if the character would not be stunned. So if my 20 con character took 18 stun after defenses, he would take all 18 stun. But if he was hit with 22 stun getting through, an amount that would normally stun him, then and only then would the damage reduction kick in.

And yes, this is a heroic game with characteristic maxima.

This would apply not to "every time the character takes STUN damage" but rather, every time the character would otherwise be stunned. It would specifically not work at all if the character would not be stunned. So if my 20 con character took 18 stun after defenses, he would take all 18 stun. But if he was hit with 22 stun getting through, an amount that would normally stun him, then and only then would the damage reduction kick in.

And yes, this is a heroic game with characteristic maxima.

Is the game using 5e or 6e rules?(Important because the cost of CON got halved for 6e)

Technically, extra CON purchased as a Power with Limitations is not subject to NCM.

Damage Reduction even with the Limitation you describe is providing MORE than just extra CON for purposes of determining if the character is STUNNED.

It is actually reducing damage taken.

If that's the purpose, why not go one step further and just buy additional PD/ED with the same Limitation? It would remove any need for extra division and rounding (unless that's the point of this exercise).

I am currently playing in 5th edition, but always thinking about 6th.

Your suggestion about just buying extra PD with the same limitation is a good one that for some reason had not occurred to me.

(-1/2 Only used versus blows that would otherwise stun the character.)

Is that really just a -1/2 limitation though? Maybe it would be -1/2 if applied to PD (which if it kicked in would actually reduce stun) but a full -1 if used on Con, which would not actually reduce the stun.

You could also buy COM as a power with the limitation "Only used in determining if the Character is Stunned"

This doesn't decrease the amount of damage you actually take. Which buying PD, ED or Damage Reduction would do.

I don't think it would be worth much, as that's pretty much all CON is used for now.

You could also buy COM as a power with the limitation "Only used in determining if the Character is Stunned"

This doesn't decrease the amount of damage you actually take. Which buying PD, ED or Damage Reduction would do.

I don't think it would be worth much, as that's pretty much all CON is used for now.

I'm going to assume you mean CON(stitution), not COM(eliness). :)

Typically, yeah, Characteristics bought with limitations are exempt from the cost-doubling effect of Normal Characteristic Maxima.

One problem with either Damage Reduction or extra PD/ED with "only if damage would otherwise Stun" is that a stronger blow could end up doing less damage to you.

Example: If you have 20 Con, and would take 19 Stun after defenses, nothing kicks in and you take 19 Stun. But if you take 25 Stun, then have 10 PD/ED with the above Limitation, suddenly a stronger blow is only doing 15 Stun to you, which doesn't make much sense. You can play with the numbers, but this illustrates the possibility.

Therefore, I think buying more Con, even if it costs double, is the best solution. Alternatively, as Hyper-Man points out, Con bought with a Limitation (arguably even a -0 Limitation like "Only to prevent Stunning") is not affect by Normal Characteristic Maxima, although your GM may not let that fly.

So' date=' I want my character to be harder to stun[/quote']

the on thing that determines Stun is Damage after Defenses vs. Constitution.

Like other said, powers are except from NCM.

So Con, Only to Determine when he is Stunned, would be the way to go.

What it is worth, depends on the question what 5E does with Con and how ofter Con is used for other things in your game (read: Ask your GM).

Of course with NCM in effect, it is likely that he does not wanted characters to be to hard to stun.