Memserist Vanishng Act

phoenix240

I may be over thinking this but it can't hurt to ask. I'm trying to model the ability to induce a very temporary fugue in people she makes eye contact with. It only lasts a second, but she can move quickly in that instant. To her targets, she appears to vanish and reappear somewhere else or, if she conceals herself or moves out of sight, disappearing all together.

Initially, I thought this would work as a variation on Vanishing Teleport except with "Requires Eye Contact" replacing "Only when not observed". Thoughts?

Re: Memserist Vanishng Act

If it is overthinking you need...teleport sounds good (perhaps with 'must pass through intervening space') but how about Invisibility, or even Images, or if this is a battle of wills thing, even some of the mental powers, perhaps Mental illusions or a single command Mind Control? All of those other options let you move and do other stuff too.

Invisibility doesn't quite fit the effect' date=' IMO. Her targets are unaware of everything for an instant, even the passage of time. With Invisbility they would still be active and able to react.[/quote']

Does the target ACTUALLY fugue out for a second (i.e. do they lose a phase, or at least some time in respect of EVERYONE) or is the fugueing out just an sfx of the 'move somewhere else' power, and does not actually have any effect on what actions the target can take?

I'm not sure what the build for 'Vanashing Teleport' is, but to work as you describe it would need invisible poer effects, IMO.

A split second could be a phase in Hero. What power level and flavor of gam are we talking about here? In lower point level games things like multi-d6 Mind Control or Illusiuons can be out of range of permissable points, while a Vanishing Teleport timed right can be useful.

Super-skill: Vanishing Act. Teleportation: Must pass through intervening Space(-1/4) possibly adding; Requires a Skill Roll' date=' Only when observed[/quote']

That's the Vanishing Teleport build I referred to earlier. As I mentioned I was considering building this ability basically the same way except with: Must make eye contact replacing "only when unobserved" since she effectively makes herself "unobserved" by inducing a breif fugue.

Invisibility doesn't quite fit the effect' date=' IMO. Her targets are unaware of everything for an instant, even the passage of time. With Invisbility they would still be active and able to react.[/quote']

I might simulate this with Lightning Reflexes. This would let her vanish before the target could react.

That's the Vanishing Teleport build I referred to earlier. As I mentioned I was considering building this ability basically the same way except with: Must make eye contact replacing "only when unobserved" since she effectively makes herself "unobserved" by inducing a breif fugue.

Can she use this "brief fugue" power in any other way? Like using it to attack, or stop an enemy so her allies/goons can pound on the now unaware (1/2 DCV, maybe less) target?

If the answer is no:

Just the SFX of it being an invisible (unhearable) movement power (not nessesary teleport by the way). When you want the invisbility to not alway work, buy it as naked advantage with some limitations.

If the character where to attempt to do something like that it would be the same as if a "regular" teleporter tried it. I'd have them make a Stealth check. But really, it maiinly an escape trick, the equivalent of a ninja dropping a smoke bomb at his feet and vanishing except a bit more mystical sfx-wise.