Self-directed illusion

Folded

How would you put together an ability that lets you create holographic or illusory images that are capable of maintaining themselves and acting within their surroundings? Not physical, and unable to directly affect their environment, but capable of action independent of the specific direction of the caster.

The idea came from the old idea of illusory duplicates of oneself to confuse opponents. The problem always seemed to be that they moved and acted in concert. What if they could each do their own thing?

I'm thinking either Images or Summon as the base power, but I'm not sure how to write the rest of it up. Questions like how far away can the illusion get, how much autonomy does it have, could it act as a completely independent character with intelligence, or merely mimic likely actions as decided by the creator, et cetera.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Self-directed illusion

"I saw the flash of refllective glass when she pulled out something palm sized and then looked into it like she was checking her make up. I was about to make some joke about all gothic witches having a 'dark compact' when she threw it down. I heard the glass crack, and then from the pieces rose eight more of her!"

Shatter Mirror: Summon 8 insubstantial doppelgangers of the character by glancing into a mirror, then casting it down or otherwise breaking it 8 100-point Desolid Doubles, Loyal (x8 as many tasks; +1 1/4) (79 Active Points); IAF Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; A mirror (usually assumed to be a small one hidden in a pouch or something); -1), Requires A Roll (Power Skill roll; -1/2), Incantations (I call myself to myself, from beyond the glass; -1/4), Perceivable (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost:24

Sometimes I still feel dirty using Desolid...

Lucius Alexander

Invisible Desolidified Magic Palindromedary

Summon might be the easiest way to do it, although you will have to write up a character sheet for the duplicates.

You might also build it as Images with a computer AI to maintain them. You can have "programs" for the AI to determine exactly what the Duplicates can do and how complicated their actions are. Then buy the Images as 0 END, Persistant so you can leave them running while the caster walks away.

Possibly you could build it with Duplication, with the Duplicates being low-point versions of the original and with Physical Complications like "Cannot interact with the real world" and "Dispelled if struck in combat". They would also have to have Regeneration with the Resurrection adder so they wouldn't be permanently destroyed when hit.

You might also build it as Images with a computer AI to maintain them. You can have "programs" for the AI to determine exactly what the Duplicates can do and how complicated their actions are. Then buy the Images as 0 END' date=' Persistant so you can leave them running while the caster walks away.[/quote']

Why not summon the Computer/AI that will cast/sustain the image?

The Image would have to be 0 END or the Computer needs an Endurance Reserve.

They are rules for "Foci with their own Speed/Actions" in APG II, but they require a Focus (or at least material manifestation) to be applicable, or a very lenient GM...

Technically each "shot" of an Autofire Images creates a single image and also:

"Normally, Images react in an appropriate manner to outside phenomena (unless the creator of the Image chooses otherwise)."

"it[the image] can take actions of great complexity (such as running and attacking, performing a symphony, or the like). The actions the character describes when he activates and uses his Image power take place without the need for him to devote any further Actions to “controlling” the Image." So it might be mostly a question how hard it is for the image-effect to "maintain" such complex, multipoerson interaction (read: If it has enough PER-penalties to even work with the +6 for "Multiple, interacting Images").

Some questions to get clearer on the "what you really want":

What can they do normal images can't?

Could they, for example, use Interaction Skills? (requires phases and Skills; maybe even KS/PS)

Spot things and relay them?

Could they be used as direct "relays" for the character? for example: creating a life image of the character he can direct and (combiened with clarisentience) used to talk "in person" without being in danger?

Some questions to get clearer on the "what you really want":

What can they do normal images can't?

Could they, for example, use Interaction Skills? (requires phases and Skills; maybe even KS/PS)

Spot things and relay them?

Could they be used as direct "relays" for the character? for example: creating a life image of the character he can direct and (combiened with clarisentience) used to talk "in person" without being in danger?

I'm still not entirely sure what I'm looking for. The idea is running around the back of my head, but hasn't congealed yet. Largely, though, it's a question of how realistically can the Image respond to its circumstances without direction from the caster. Such as, if the caster is not aware that someone has successfully attacked one of the Images, can the Image respond as if it were attacked? This includes appropriate noises, changes in body posture and position, altering appearance to simulate wounds, basic dialogue and so on. Is an Image capable of initiating a dialogue that the caster is unaware of, or at least unable to concentrate on? How does or can an Image perceive its surroundings, and with what degree of comprehension?

I have always assumed that the Images power required continuous direction from the caster (using 5e, haven't read much on Images beyond the basics, never really used in any games I've played/run). What I'm really trying to find out is how far from that central point does one go before swinging into Summon territory, where the entity summoned becomes its own being? If they can act on their own, how 'smart' are they? At what point does the 'does not compute' reaction occur?

I'm still not entirely sure what I'm looking for. The idea is running around the back of my head' date=' but hasn't congealed yet. Largely, though, it's a question of how realistically can the Image respond to its circumstances without direction from the caster. Such as, if the caster is not aware that someone has successfully attacked one of the Images, can the Image respond as if it were attacked? This includes appropriate noises, changes in body posture and position, altering appearance to simulate wounds, basic dialogue and so on. Is an Image capable of initiating a dialogue that the caster is unaware of, or at least unable to concentrate on? How does or can an Image perceive its surroundings, and with what degree of comprehension?[/quote']

Simulate being hit? Sure, that is explicitly on the list of things it can do on itself.

Making conversation? Only withint the limits of things the caster defined. I think it should be nothing beyond what a ELIZA/Chatterbot can do. So if it's asked soemthing you don't pre-programmed (subconsciously) it will fail to recognise. His reactions can even go beyond your knowledge, the same way your Sight Group Image shows "correctly" for someone with Special Senses based on the sight group (like IR, Thermal, detect Gold, detect magic) even if you don't know how it should look in thoses senses.

You don't need to state every respons specifically. i.e. when thinking of "a warrior that attacks the enemy", you don't need to define every maneuver used or how to react to every specific wound, that is part of the Illusion. The same way a car salesman would automatically know how to respond to inquries about cars.

Anything beyond requies the direction/intervetion of the one concentrating. Wich can very well be a small Computer (AI) in your Holo-emitter.

I have always assumed that the Images power required continuous direction from the caster (using 5e' date=' haven't read much on Images beyond the basics, never really used in any games I've played/run). What I'm really trying to find out is how far from that central point does one go before swinging into Summon territory, where the entity summoned becomes its own being? If they can act on their own, how 'smart' are they? At what point does the 'does not compute' reaction occur?[/quote']

I only know the rules for 6E and can give you only them, but you should consider re-reading it.

Worth bearing in mind that the 'Images' power can react to outside phenomena (the example in the book is that an image shot with an arrow will start to bleed) and that an image can be programmed' (you just make it an 'interacting' image at +6 PER roll).

I'd probably just go with Images. This build is a small device (inobvious fragile focus) that you set up (takes a turn) and can be programmed with visual, audio and scent components that goes off when something occurs (trigger) and runs under its own power (0 END uncontrolled).

Programmable Sensorium Projector: Sight, Hearing and Smell/Taste Groups Images, +/-6 to PER Rolls, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (85 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), IAF Fragile (-3/4) 85 Active, 34 Real

Worth bearing in mind that the 'Images' power can react to outside phenomena (the example in the book is that an image shot with an arrow will start to bleed) and that an image can be programmed' (you just make it an 'interacting' image at +6 PER roll).

I'd probably just go with Images. This build is a small device (inobvious fragile focus) that you set up (takes a turn) and can be programmed with visual, audio and scent components that goes off when something occurs (trigger) and runs under its own power (0 END uncontrolled).

Programmable Sensorium Projector: Sight, Hearing and Smell/Taste Groups Images, +/-6 to PER Rolls, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (85 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), IAF Fragile (-3/4) 85 Active, 34 Real

Repped. I shall dub this the Arnold J. Rimmer build.