Gunslinger

TheNaga

What would be the best way to make a character that is a very skilled Gunslinger, Safe Cracker, Gambler, Weaponsmith? What would his Int be if his I.Q. is 210 and what should i do if he is charismatic, handsome (18 out of 30 on a beauty score), and agile? Would be being able to play the piano be a profession skill? Where would I find in the transport familiarity the ability to ride bicycles, drive cars and motorcycles? Would this the following be good way for the character to dress? if you say yes would the way he dress play into anything in character sheet? The black pin stripes double breasted vest he wears has gold buttons and black satin looking trim collar. The white dickey he wears has an attached silver gravatte. His trousers are black. He wears ostrich skin cowboy boots. His right arm holds revolver as if it was an extension of his body.

Re: Gunslinger

Right now I know he has the following:

Six Guns: Multipower, 82-point reserve, (82 Active Points); all slots OIF (twin six-shot revolvers; -1/2)

3f 3) Single Shot: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points); OIF (twin six-shot revolvers; -1/2)

4f 2) Rapid Fire: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (75 Active Points); OIF (twin six-shot revolvers; -1/2), Cannot Be Spread Or Suppressed (-1/4)

4f 3) Rapid Fire: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Area Of Effect (3m Radius; +1/4), Selective (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (twin six-shot revolvers; -1/2)

Skills:

23) Fast Draw: Pistols 23-

15) Fast Draw: Shotguns 19-

14) Weaponsmith (Firearms) 17-

14) Gambling (Blackjack, Faro, Poker) 17-

11) Riding 17-

11) Sleight Of Hand 17-

11) Concealment 15-

10) Two-Weapon Fighting

9) Inventor 14-

8) Pistol Training: +4 with with Pistols

7) PS: Professional Gambler 16-

5) PS: Pianist 14-

6) KS: Firearms 15-

4) WF: Handguns, Laser Pistols, Laser Rifles, Rifles, Shotguns

1) WF: Thrown Knives, Axes, and Darts

1) Horseback Riding: TF: Equines, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

10) Negative Reputation: Deadly Gunslinger, Frequently

Don't forget Ranged Martial Maneuvers (Ranged Disarm is perfect for this character).

1 Level of Striking Appearance

We used to include a skill in some characters called 'Fashion Sense' to represent the ability to dress well. Could be taken as another level of Striking Appearance (Only When Properly Dressed). Clothes are not usually included as points on a sheet, but could be if the character is truly sharp and it has an effect on gameplay.

Transport Familiarity - Muscle Powered Two-wheeled Ground Vehicles covers bicycle

You might want to purchase a Naked Advantage of Autofire with Pistols, if this is a Heroic campaign, to allow him to get the Autofire benefit from weapons other than his own.

Ranged Damage Classes with Pistols might be good. Be sure to check with the GM about how many extra DCs can be added to a Killing Attack. There may be limits, depending on their interpretation of RAW.

Piano player would probably be a PS.

Security Systems for safe cracking, plus some Science Skills to back it up (Chemistry and Engineering come to mind).

Ambidextrous is good for eliminating the Off-Hand Penalty.

Another thing to think about are limitations. Does this guy dress like what he dresses like even when the situation would harm him? Sounds like a Distinctice Feature to me if 'yes'. Does he have the Psychological Limitation 'Gunslinger Mentality'? The Psychological Limitation 'Coad of the West'? Psychological Limitation 'Avid Gambler'? Psychological Limitation 'Womaniser'?

Just some sergestions.

I like the The Psychological Limitation 'Code of the West'? Psychological Limitation 'Avid Gambler, and Psychological Limitation 'Gunslinger Mentality. I see him dress fashionably. How much skill would he have in play the piano if he start learn to play the piano at the age of eight years?

I like the The Psychological Limitation 'Code of the West'? Psychological Limitation 'Avid Gambler' date=' and Psychological Limitation 'Gunslinger Mentality. I see him dress fashionably. How much skill would he have in play the piano if he start learn to play the piano at the age of eight years?[/quote']

The piano question depends on how diligent he was at learning it and other questions. I would say, if the charater WAS diligent and never realy stoped playing for years, a 16 or less roll. If the charater WAS diligent, but stoped playing for a while, a 14 or less roll. If he hated playing the piano and was forced into it, AND he haven't played in years, a 12 or less roll.

Now to answer what theas psychological limitations means.

1) "Coad of The West": Always treat women with respect. Remove your hat when going inside. Tip your hat to the ladies when you greet them (if wearing a hat). Always help out the little man from whatever outlaw or polecat wants to harm him, even if it is aganst the law. Do not tell lies or falshoods (except tall tails that eveyone knows are false). You can kill, but you must never shoot anyone in the back, or shoot anyone who is unarmed.

2) "Avid Gambiler": You must make an ego roll to avoid the pressers of gambling when given the opertunity to do so. If under Total, you will not even let the lack of cash stop you from gambeling. Cheeting to win is permisable, as long as it does not go against any other psychological limitation.

3) "Gunslinger Mentality": Basicly, you MUST prove that your the best around. If someone appears to be untested with a gun or better than you in the gun, you MUST chalange them to a shootout/shooting contest. If someone chalanges you, you MUST acept. (Well, you CAN get out of doing eather with an ego roll.) Also common with martial artest (and sometimes called "Fistslinger Mentality", which is the same thing, but the best meing in martial arts as opose to with the gun).

The piano question depends on how diligent he was at learning it and other questions. I would say, if the charater WAS diligent and never realy stoped playing for years, a 16 or less roll. If the charater WAS diligent, but stoped playing for a while, a 14 or less roll. If he hated playing the piano and was forced into it, AND he haven't played in years, a 12 or less roll.

Now to answer what theas psychological limitations means.

1) "Coad of The West": Always treat women with respect. Remove your hat when going inside. Tip your hat to the ladies when you greet them (if wearing a hat). Always help out the little man from whatever outlaw or polecat wants to harm him, even if it is aganst the law. Do not tell lies or falshoods (except tall tails that eveyone knows are false). You can kill, but you must never shoot anyone in the back, or shoot anyone who is unarmed.

2) "Avid Gambiler": You must make an ego roll to avoid the pressers of gambling when given the opertunity to do so. If under Total, you will not even let the lack of cash stop you from gambeling. Cheeting to win is permisable, as long as it does not go against any other psychological limitation.

3) "Gunslinger Mentality": Basicly, you MUST prove that your the best around. If someone appears to be untested with a gun or better than you in the gun, you MUST chalange them to a shootout/shooting contest. If someone chalanges you, you MUST acept. (Well, you CAN get out of doing eather with an ego roll.) Also common with martial artest (and sometimes called "Fistslinger Mentality", which is the same thing, but the best meing in martial arts as opose to with the gun).

These things sound like him.

• 2 months later...

What skills would he have if he is knowledgeable in Native Americans and the Old West? This character is based on me. His piano skill is good enough to right now play a nocturne.

That would be Knolage Skill: Native American Culture and Knolage Skill: Old West History. Knolage Skill is a catch-all skill for thoes skills based on knolage, but are not defined in the rules. Each KS must be bought sepertly, and defined by the player and gm.

As for piano...try 16 or less.

In case Meadyaon dosen't know, here is a quick rule on KS:

Knolage Skill is bought at a 11 or less roll for 2 charater points, with a +1 for +1 charater point. It can be based on INT instead for 3 charater points, with a +1 for +1 point. Knolage Skill is limited to a single subject when you buy it. Knowing the lay of the land is usaly called Area Knolage (AK), while knowing a subject is refered to as Subject Knolage (usaly just protraed on charater sheets as KS). The Skill Enchancer Expert (from page 45 from The Hero System Advance Player's Guide cost 3 points, and reduces the cost of such skills by 1, but must be defined by player and gamemaster beforhand. The GM might force you to buy 3 related skills before you can apply Expert. Also, Expert does not stack with other Skill Enchancers.

What skills would he have if he is knowledgeable in Native Americans and the Old West? This character is based on me. His piano skill is good enough to right now play a nocturne.

I think you are looking for Knowledge Skills. If you know about Native American Culture(s) that would be Culture Knowledge.

and I am sure that he has a Code of the West :D

PS The attacks may be too small to damage a supervillain.

I would suggest doing your pistols like this:

33 Colt .45 Peacemaker: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots OAF (Pistols; -1), 4 clips of 6 Charges (Speed Loaders; -1/4)

3f 1) Aimed Shot: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2) (67 Active Points); OAF (Pistols; -1) 0 end

3f 2) Fan the Hammer: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (67 Active Points); OAF (Pistols; -1)

3f 3) Make em' Dance: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Area Of Effect (3 2m Areas; Make em' Dance; +1/2),

Selective (+1/4); OAF (Pistols; -1), Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Uses 1 charge per 2m area.; -0) 0 end

With the above you can damage most supervillains.

• 1 month later...

How do i make this Hero? What else can i give as powers besides his guns?

He went to college for Native American studies. How would I add he also know about the Wild West? What would Native American studies be? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_studies

How I go about setting up his Bio? He can teach Native American studies if he wishes. What help can you give me if he is 1/2 American (White) and 1/2 Choctaw?

If someone knows about something it's a Knowledge Skill (KS) (ie KS The Wild West)

If they Know about a culture it's a Culture Knowledge (CK) (CK Native Americans or CK Cherokee or CK America)

If they know about places and how to get there it's an Area Knowledge (AK) (ie AK San Francisco, AK Texas)

If the can DO something it's a Professional Skill(PS) (ie PS Piano, PS Gunsmithing, PS Game Designer, PS Teacher (College Professor))

If what they know is a Science Is a Science Skill (SS) (ie SS Veternary Medicine, SS Physics, SS Balistics)

One shouldn't rely on Foci alone. A Focus based character should have something to fall back on. I would recommend for a Gunslinger to have Martial arts either Brawling or Boxing. A few maneuvers and a weapon element (clubs) don't forget to buy enough HTH Damage classes to reach DC10 with at least one maneuver.

for Skill rolls anything above 18- is wasteful of points. Depending on the game anything above 14- can also be considered pretty wasteful of points.

I would suggest that having Lightning Reflexes could be good for the character, and could simulate someone that is quick with their guns.

Between all of these posts you are making you should be gaining some understanding of how to create characters.

To create a good character you need to know Who they are (ie Gunslinging professor specializing in the Old west history and Native American Studies) and What they can do (ie Have special guns and special techniques with said guns). I can take the what they can do and place it with nearly any who they are without changing the powers portion of the writeup (ie the Modern Day Professor becomes the man from the 25th century that uses his Rail Gun Pistols to dispense Justice) The powers would be the same and nearly all of the skills too. The "Who they are" is "fluff" or the story behind why they have the powers and abilities they have. The "What they can do" is the "Crunch" or the part of the writeup that we derive powers and other abilities from. So it doesn't matter if my Guns are magical .45 Revolvers, Modern .50 cal Automatics, Futuristic Rail Gun Pistols or even Magical Wands. They can all use the same writeups for their powers and can work the same in play. The difference is how each character is described and how their powers and other abilities are described. That description has no real mechanical meaning within the game.

Hero is true freedom to make whatever is in your imagination. It's up to you to translate the ideas in your head into powers. You define what and how your powers work. I would recommend you use the resources given in this and other threads to see how characters are built.

If character is the closest to me with without giving the character powers that shark and/or water based powers. Also leave out the scuba diving.

The Master Degree in Native American Studies is due to him being part Choctaw (my nephew is 1/8 Choctaw). His favorite part of US History is the Old West (mine too). He before becoming a hero he taught Native American Studies at a College and on the weekends he was an Old West reenactor.

What has been coming to me lately is I was thinking he might have luck and/or precognition powers. I would like to be able handle himself in a h-t-h fight.