New way to build a flashlight

Victim

I was thinking more along the lines of "Suppress Darkness." Total Darkness to Sight in a 1" radius, at 0 END and Persistent, would be 20 Active Points. So, 7d6 of Suppress with Standard Effect would totally eliminate it, that's 35 Active Points. Put it on a Fuel Charge lasting one hour (-1/4) for the batteries, OAF Flashlight, making it 15 Real Points.

(Lord, I am such a HERO gaming geek.) :rolleyes:

Normal Person Junk Doctrine:

I don't charge characters for normal junk ordinary people typically have, or can easily purchase - nor do I require a write up of said objects. The exceptions to this rule are two-fold:

1) if the item is beyond the characters financial bracket, or

2) it falls into the category of "weapons and armor"

So things like ordinary cars, flashlights, rain-coats, condos, cel-phones, and personal computers don't generally cost points in my games because they are:

1) generally available to the common man, and

2) advance non-essential plot functions, and

3) don't impact play in an overt way that would require an expenditure of points

Player: How many points does a flashlight cost?

GM: Did you take any sort of finance oriented limitations?

Player: No.

GM: Its free.

Player: Free?

GM: Yeah, do you want a mid-size sedan, too?

Player: Sure... uh...

GM: And a common household Personal Computer?

Player: What's the catch?

GM: No catch. Would you like a condo to put the computer in?

Player: No, really, what's the catch?

GM: No, really. No catch. You can have a mobile phone too, if you want.

Player: Can my phone be an encrypted sattelite phone?

GM: now you see - that will cost you points...

Originally posted by D-Man

So things like ordinary cars, flashlights, rain-coats, condos, cel-phones, and personal computers don't generally cost points in my games because they are:

1) generally available to the common man, and

2) advance non-essential plot functions, and

3) don't impact play in an overt way that would require an expenditure of points

I've run into a similar situation before. I had a Champs game where one of the players wanted a motorcycle, just slightly suped-up, with one or two minor gadgets on it. It was more for color than anything else. When we costed the thing, though, it came out to way more points than it was worth, because the vehicle rules make you pay from scratch. I ruled that the character only had to pay for functionality that went beyond what he could buy from the motorcycle dealer. That worked out much better.

-AA

Originally posted by austenandrews

I've run into a similar situation before. I had a Champs game where one of the players wanted a motorcycle, just slightly suped-up, with one or two minor gadgets on it. It was more for color than anything else. When we costed the thing, though, it came out to way more points than it was worth, because the vehicle rules make you pay from scratch. I ruled that the character only had to pay for functionality that went beyond what he could buy from the motorcycle dealer. That worked out much better.

-AA

A logical and reasonable approach to my way of thinking.

Of course, logic and reason aren't popular in some circles, but it works for me.

Originally posted by austenandrews

-AA

I read a post from someone with a compromise that I found interesting... what it boiled down to is to take a template for a standard motorcycle, then the writeup for the slightly souped up one... compare thier costs and be charged the difference. So you only have to pay for the special abilities and not the every man tech part of it. I think I am going to use that as a house rule! :)