Can a limitation be an advantage?

JmOz

The idea is that two characters who are tapping into the same power source.

Both characters would have identical powers, but if both are active at the same time then there powers are reduced.

So for instance

MIGHTY STRENGTH

+40 Str, OIHID (-1/4)

MIGHTY STRENGTH II

+5 Str, OIHID (-1/4), only when sole benefactor (-1/4)

The issue is that they would know when the other is active by the reduction of their powers,implying at least some form of detect

the second question is how much should the second lim be worth

Re: Can a limitation be an advantage?

I think that's the sense is fine. It's a minor ability at best. It doesn't tell them where the other is or what they're up too. The Limitation value depends on how often the character will be the sole active user. It could be anywhere from -0 to -1 depending on the intent.

Is this for somethign similar as some version of the Marvel Family, where the number of Marvel's active determines how strong each one is?

I would go without a detect. It's not any different from having his powers drained or somethign the like.

I think this is mostly for a villain/hero share the powersource thing? Logical problem would be that at times the villain is active, without opposing the hero or even likely to affect the hero (the GM does not plans him). One way to figure out if he is just "randomly" active, when he is not part of the adventure:

Take a look at variable Duration Time Limit, 6E1 347. There is a variant for time limtis where a Skill Roll determines how many time increments the power actually lasts. Just replace the Skill with a Flat activation Roll.

So if he wants to activate his powers, one of three thigns can happen:

1. the villain is active and part of the adventure: No Power

2. He fails the Roll, the villain is randomly active (but not part of the adventure). He can try again in a later encounter

3. He succeds with the Roll. The villain is inactive, but for how long? The moment he goes active, the power is gone and the variable time limit shows exactly how long that is.

If the GM always rolls hidden, this also avoid any metagaming. Maybe he is part of the adventure, or maybe he is just randomly active?

I wouldn't charge you for the Detect' date=' but you wouldn't know your power limit until you try to go above it (of course, in most games, that's the first attack!)[/quote']

Even if this is the chase, I would not charge him for that effect. You don't ask people with all thier powers being disableed by Magnetic Fields to purchase a detect eitehr. Or people who suffer a succeptibility to Silver. Or superman and his vulnerabilities to Red Sun Radiation/Kryptonite.

Also regarding superman:

He is also vulnerable to magic. And at least once per series we hear him says soemthing around: "That hurts a lot, it must be magic".

In that case the rules even explicitly allow him to know that: Once because the special effect of an attack power is obvious. Another time because he knows the rough intensity (8d6 vs. 12d6 is a clear difference) and with a 1.5 Multiplier the damage after defenses is a lot higher than it should be.

I think the detect is over thinking it. We don't have to model everything down to the last point. It's not the sort of thing that's going to regularly give any kind of advantage, though it may come into play occasionally, at the GM's discretion. The level of information conveyed isn't enough to worry about statting out.

sorry my post got lost. Yes it is a Captain MArvel like ability, where the two share a single power source. The characters also will have a Psicic link, so I don't think at this point it will be needed for a detect.