Need help building a power.

So, I am REALLLY rusty with the mechanics of this game, I have't played Hero or even designed a character for a long time. I have had the urge to mess with it a bit, so I am trying to convert some aspects of a DC Universe video game character to a hero build. I am working on a "taser pull" gadget.

Basically, its a gadget that shoots out a line, zaps the target for some damage, and then yanks them toward the shooter. The damage part isn't that hard, but I am looking for a good way to do the pull part. The two ideas that I had were either some telekinesis with limitations so it can only be used for this one effect, or perhaps teleport with a Usable as Attack.

But as I said, I am soooo rusty at this, could anyone build a version (or two) of this for me to help get me back in the grove.

Re: Need help building a power.

One option would be to build the weapon asa HtH attack with built in Stretching limited only hit, grab, and pull, no non-combat stretching, direct only. Perhaps a limit that the grab does not limit the use of Foci or actually restrain any limbs. In the video game is the pulling a seperate action or does it happen automatically?

Now that is an interesting idea, stretching.

To answer your question, the power in the game is basically an electrified grappling hook gun. You trigger the power, the target takes some damage, and gets yanked to you on a line.

Thanks for the stretching idea. Could you be kind enough to put some stats to this?

Actually, I might give it a go for your review. So I could do something like 20m Stretching, (20 Points) Direct Only(-1/4) Can Not Do Damage (-1/2) Focus, OIF (Grapple line in power gauntlets)(-1/2) No body parts other than line (-1/4), Can only grab and pull, no other manipulations (-1/4) 7 Real points. If I understand I would need to roll to hit with a grab and have the strength to pull the target to me. The damage would have to come with a linked power, as I can't use my strength to do damage with this.

Not sure if this is legal, but what if you bought a Damage Shield for the Focus? If the Grab hits then they take the damage automatically, no second roll or Linked Power needed. Even if they Block the Grab they still get shocked (or break out with a Casual STR roll). Depending on how it is built you could even use it in regular HtH range (tazer prongs stick out from gauntlet with out firing/grabbing).

Actually' date=' I might give it a go for your review. So I could do something like 20m Stretching, (20 Points) Direct Only(-1/4) Can Not Do Damage (-1/2) Focus, OIF (Grapple line in power gauntlets)(-1/2) No body parts other than line (-1/4), Can only grab and pull, no other manipulations (-1/4) 7 Real points. If I understand I would need to roll to hit with a grab and have the strength to pull the target to me. The damage would have to come with a linked power, as I can't use my strength to do damage with this.[/quote']I don't use Stretching a lot so I may be off base here, but I'm not sure "only to grab and pull" is worth a full -1/4 over the -1/2 can't do damage. Maybe it is. Might add a Limitation that it doesn't restrain limbs which I believe the Grab move does as a default. Might also build in extra OCV, only to negate the Grab Penalty.

I don't use Stretching a lot so I may be off base here' date=' but I'm not sure "only to grab and pull" is worth a full -1/4 over the -1/2 can't do damage. Maybe it is. Might add a Limitation that it doesn't restrain limbs which I believe the Grab move does as a default. Might also build in extra OCV, only to negate the Grab Penalty.[/quote']

While the final value of a limitation is always a judgement call, I think you are giving up quite a bit by taking "only grab and pull". Without that you could still be manipulating object at range, pulling levers, pushing buttons, pushing something away instead of just pulling it, picking something up and holding it at range, etc

While the final value of a limitation is always a judgement call' date=' I think you are giving up quite a bit by taking "only grab and pull". Without that you could still be manipulating object at range, pulling levers, pushing buttons, pushing something away instead of just pulling it, picking something up and holding it at range, etc[/quote']Fair enough. In that case I'd probably dropthe can't damage limit and just put "only to grab and pull, -3/4". Seems less redundant and saves space in the write-up.

I agree that in most cases Stretching is the Right thing.

Use Telekinesis only if the object is "indestructible" like some versions of Wonder Woman Lasso.

Most Grapling Line attacks I see in the source material Grab both arms. (they go around the torso, thus catching both arms).

You may want extra Strenght/Seperate Strenght only to hold the grab. Or you could build the lines ability to hold onto a target with Clinging (but normal STR might be better).

Linked vs Damage Shield:

With the Linked Attack, you may need Skill levels that cover both.

On the other hand, Damage Shield is only advisable if you want to keep it on.

If you only want a short "pull" instead of "Grab, then use actions to pull" Shove Maneuver might be the better way. Basically you shove the target towards you instead of away.

I don't know if this could still fall under special effects use of strecthing, or if some real indirect advantage is needed.

OK, just spitballing:

HtHattack (energy)

PLUS

Stretching

The stretching gives you a grab at range, the HTH gives you squeeze damage (and converts the damage from your STR to energy) and then next phase you (retaining the grab) can pull the (hopefully stunned) character to you. You can even do continuing damage.

Seems like the simplest build to accomplish what you want.

OK, just spitballing:

HtHattack (energy)

PLUS

Stretching

The stretching gives you a grab at range, the HTH gives you squeeze damage (and converts the damage from your STR to energy) and then next phase you (retaining the grab) can pull the (hopefully stunned) character to you. You can even do continuing damage.

Seems like the simplest build to accomplish what you want.

You can already do Squeze damage when Grabbing. You even get the first squeze free.

What most people where talkign about is the electrocution damage. But that may not be needed.