Traveller 5 Kickstarter

Tasha

While I know that this isn't a Hero book and all. I know that there are a bunch of Traveller Fans here on the boards. Traveller 5 is complete and is ready for publishing. They are running a Kickstarter to get their book published.

While you are at it, make sure you are also supporting the folk on THIS website by buying something from the HS store.

Tasha

PS, I understand if the Moderators kill this thread. This IS a Hero Games Website. Since there are Traveller lovers here, I thought that it would be interesting even as a Sourcebook that people use Hero to play.

Re: Traveller 5 Kickstarter

The Non-Hero forum doesn't seem to get much love these days, so that's where I'd put it.

Those are some really impressive numbers for a Kickstarter that hasn't been out a week.

From the video, it seems it goes strongly towards the Hero-Rules.

The rulebook is 600 pages long (compared to the 20 something of the first edition - with tables).

Instead of writing down weapons and vehicles, there are rules to jsut create them (similar to how hero builds powers).

The rulebook is 600 pages long (compared to the 20 something of the first edition - with tables).

Instead of writing down weapons and vehicles, there are rules to jsut create them (similar to how hero builds powers).

Traveller has always included construction systems for ships, and later, vehicles. With TNE's Fire Fusion & Steel, they made a more general-purpose creation system that included guns, vehicles, and ships. The original goal was to make a core rule set that would then be used in a variety of other GDW games.

T5 was supposed to be the modern basis of the Traveller system, and was originally supposed to be what Mongoose Traveller was derived from. That didn't happen, as T5 has been in "playtest and development" over at the Citizens of the Imperium boards for the last 4 years. I paid my entry price, received my CD of playtest materials, and will get a CD of the finished product. Much like I don't tend to slaughter my own animals, I found that I really didn't want to watch the messy process of getting this in shape. I'm optimistic that the Maker system will be useful, and hope that the rest of the rules will be as playable as CT or Mongoose Traveller.

I'm in for the book on Kickstarter, as well. It also looks like Marc Miller will be sending out notices before the book ships, so that those who want their physical books signed can get a personal dedication message of their choice. There will also be some swag (Traveller dice, possibly a commemorative coin, and other stuff). He's also bouncing around the idea of putting the book on a memory card or Jump Drive ;) , possibly with the red and black color scheme.

JoeG

I also think there's a forum for Non-Hero Products.

but it's subtitled "Merchandise from other companies that we're making available through our Online Store" So it seemed more like a place for Jason to put 3rd party stuff they were pushing in the Hero Store than a board where we talk about other company's products.

I figured that all of the Traveller fans looked at the Star Hero Board anyways. So I put it here.

t5 will contain enough stuff premade that you will be able to play the game without fiddling with a spreadsheet. Traveller is the first game that had that amount of customization at release (At least for Starships). Also it was one of the first RPGs without Character Classes and Levels. All contained in 3 digest sized 48 page books. Later expanded into nearly 30 digest sized books not including Adventures, Wargames etc. In Traveller's heyday it was the d20 of the day with half a dozen companies creating supplements for it. It was the number 2 RPG right behind D&D when it came to sheer volume of material available for it.

16 days to go, and it's already reached several stretch goals. The last one, a set of Free Trader Beowulf deckplans on a poster, was reached earlier today, and the next one, 12 pages of Jesse DeGraff full color illos of ships, will be at the $150,000 level. In addition, there are several options that can be had by increasing the pledge. $10 extra converts the CD into a Traveller5 Jump Drive, $15 extra gets a full set of Traveller dice. T-shirts are available for an additional $22.

JoeG

• 4 weeks later...