The Toolkit is mine at last!

BobGreenwade

I finally got my copy of Spacer's Toolkit this week. It actually arrived Tuesday; I've just waited until today to crow about it because I wanted to let it absorb. (These things need to be allowed their proper time, you know, or they could cause indigestion.)

Anyhow, it's every bit as awesome as the preview manuscript hinted -- and a lot easier to handle in professional-looking layout and with illustrations and all that. Like most readers, I personally could have done with more in Chapter One, but that doesn't make it a bad book by any means.

Congratulations to Ben, Steve, Darren, Andy, and all of the interior illustrators on a job well done. :D

Particularly congratulations to Ben. The Spacer's Toolkit is a fine addition to any Hero gamer's library. If I had one complaint it would be that the supplement is too small. I would like to have seen a supplement around the size of the UNTIL Superpowers Database or the Fantasy HERO Grimoire.

Now, with the Grimoire out, we have the USPD (gee, my mind just went blank on the semi-standard lingo! Is it 'USPD,' or 'USDB?' I'm so confused!), the FHG, and we have ST, covering superpowers, magic, and gadgets. The Vehicle Sourcebook is next covering vehicles. Jeez, is there anything else left after that? Perhaps modern weaponry, after Dark Champions comes out.

Oh, I'm sure we can find something. ;)

There's Gadgets And Gear, which covers superhero gadgetry. There's the potential for more Grimoires, since the one doesn't necessarily cover all the types of magic there are (in fact, I've already got a sequel half-written). There's modern-day "real world" weapons and equipment, suitable for coverage in Dark Champions and its line. There's weapons and armor in general, subjects for The Ultimate Weapon and The Ultimate Armor. And I'm sure we'll think of more after that. ;)

The great thing about these "catalog" books is they're easy to write in tiny steps, so I can work on them in the evenings and my "spare time" when the mood strikes me, thus giving us a jump on the schedule.

One thing I should add is my thanks to the good folks at FRPGames, for their low prices and quick service. Subtract the discount and add in shipping, I still save 50 cents on a single book, and it's in my hands in about the same amount of time as it would take to arrive at my FLGS on special order. When I'm able to fill out my collection of Hero books (probably this coming January), I'll save even more.

And it's good news that you're working to get a jump on the schedule, Steve. :D Hopefully by the end of next year you'll be able to finish the playtesting/testreading process before the book goes into layout (the better to fix any gaps in logic, missing information, and such). ;)

Originally posted by Ben Seeman

I would actually enjoy writing another Toolkit, but that's not on the schedule at all.

So would I. For that matter, I practically am writing one -- I already have a list of stuff for the STKO that's even longer than the ones I already sent, and I've still only scratched the surface of the ideas that have been floating around in my head. Steve could just say to me, "Bob, I want you to do STK2, and have it ready for a January 2005 release" -- and he wouldn't have to worry about a thing. ;)
But I do hope to get some words in on future Star Hero supplements. :)
I hope so to -- for both you and myself. :D