Mobile Bug/Tracking Device

bluesguy

This is for a Champions game.

I will describe the "special effect" and I am asking for how the 'build experts' would go about doing it. I have a few ideas of my own but I really am looking for a virtual brainstorming session.

A character wants to have a device that is about the size of a fly or mosquito that the character 'targets' towards a villain or vehicle. The robo-bug 'flies' toward the target and 'attaches' itself to the target. At this point its main job is to provide tracking information to the character's base which has the 'radio equipment' and maps to track the where abouts of the robo-bug. The item is very small so it is almost impossible to see. If spotted it might be mistaken for an insect and easily smashed. If spotted there is a chance it would be recognized as a robo-bug.

Also every time the robo-bug sends a signal back to base there is a chance that the signal will be picked up and possibly tracked down. I am guessing the signal itself would be encrypted but knowing that you are bugged is enough to put people on 'alert'.

I am guessing the character might have as many as 6 at anyone time. And that when they are used they have to be 'recreated' or at least recharged.

Your advice....

Re: Mobile Bug/Tracking Device

Champions 6E has a tracking bug:

Images to Radio Group, +4 PER on a IAF, 1 Continuing Recoverable Charge.

Also has a 64m Radius*, UAA, Set Effect (detectable signal; -1), Image Only Perceivable On Special Radio Frequencies (-0).

*in this are detectign the bug is easy (full bonus). For anything more the GM can allow it to still be detected with a sort of Range penalty (that counters the Perception Bonus): 65-125m: -2, 126-250: -4, 251-500m:-6. Beyond 500m: Extraordianry Skill Roll.

Might add "Fragile" Focus value, but that might not work well with a Inobvious Focus. You might add thigns like "Requried Roll: Bugging". The thing can be well hidden with the Concealment Skill (according to APG I 21 that needs "a Full Phase or more").

The attack action needed to place it is just the time you need to steer it to the target. You also still have to "hide" the use of the power from the target (shooting at his back or full IPE).

Champions 6E has a tracking bug:

Images to Radio Group, +4 PER on a IAF, 1 Continuing Recoverable Charge.

Also has a 64m Radius*, UAA, Set Effect (detectable signal; -1), Image Only Perceivable On Special Radio Frequencies (-0).

Some time ago, I had the idea of making the Images MegaScale, filling the area with the radio equivalent of thousands of big flashing arrows all pointing at the bug. That way, you can have a bug with a several kilometer range without having to increase the radius through the roof.

Some time ago' date=' I had the idea of making the Images MegaScale, filling the area with the radio equivalent of thousands of big flashing arrows all pointing at the bug. That way, you can have a bug with a several kilometer range without having to increase the radius through the roof.[/quote']

Thought about the same, but think that would make it too hard to "loose the signal". Wich is why I think they choose this option insted.

In ref to Armitage and Christopher's comments... in a heroic setting, I agree with Christopher, no megascale... but since the original poster said this is for Champions, then megascale would be okay as a super-tech bug could produce a signal that could be tracked over a great distance...