Plague Doctor

Nepenthe

Hi everyone! I'm completely new to Hero System and I'm working on my first character for a champions game.

5th ed. Revised, 150 Base Points, 100 Disadvantages, 50 Max Active Points

Here's the concept:

I want to play a Tony Stark type hero. Someone who's very intelligent but otherwise pretty much average outside of his superhero persona. He's a medical doctor who developed a special suit that constantly monitors and regulates the levels of various biochemicals in his system. It also keeps him suped up on performance enhancing drugs while simultaneously mitigating the side effects (comic book science. Roll with it.). He protects this system (and himself) with cloth-like armor that looks like a plague doctor costume. To top it off he wears a plague doctor mask with some basic utility like a re-breather, night vision and thermal vision built in.

For combat, he fights with a walking stick (club) and syringes full of nasty drugs and poisons of his own design. He hides these syringes in secret pockets all over his costume.

The build:

I think I've got the syringes covered by using a Variable Power Pool with various Aids and Drains. Where I'm having trouble is building the suit. I want virtually all of his characteristics to be enhanced while in his super-persona. First, I tried buying average characteristics (along with Normal Characteristic Maxima), then buying each increase as a separate power, each with "Focus (Obvious Inaccessible)" and "Only in Heroic Persona." This just looks really messy to me though. Is there a way to lump these powers together under a single Focus? Should I be using an Elemental Control for this?

I have about a billion other questions, but let's start with this. Thanks in advance, everyone!

Re: Plague Doctor

Well, firstly, you can't take both Focus and Only In Alternate Identity on the same powers, so that will clean things up a bit.

If you're using Hero Designer, you can create a List, then give everything under that List a Common Limitation (in this case, Obvious Inaccessible Focus). Just put all your characteristics and other stuff in the costume under the list.

Thanks. So am I correct in assuming that characteristics purchased as powers are always active (in this case, as long as I have the focus)? Or do these powers need to be activated in some way? These values are added to the base characteristic rather than overriding them, correct? Sorry for all the questions. I'm learning.

Typically, yes ... unless there are other limitations in force, so long as you're wearing the focus, you have the enhanced characteristics, and they add to the base characteristic. So, if, for example, your character has a 15 STR without his focus, and you buy +15 STR OIF, he'll have a 30 STR when wearing his costume.

Ok, I think I'm happy with how the suit works. Thanks!

Unfortunately, now I'm running into problems with the syringes. How do I make them require an attack roll? I thought this was what "Based on CON" was for, but that doesn't seem to work with Drain.

Hi everyone! I'm completely new to Hero System and I'm working on my first character for a champions game.

5th ed. Revised, 150 Base Points, 100 Disadvantages, 50 Max Active Points

Here's the concept:

I want to play a Tony Stark type hero. Someone who's very intelligent but otherwise pretty much average outside of his superhero persona. He's a medical doctor who developed a special suit that constantly monitors and regulates the levels of various biochemicals in his system. It also keeps him suped up on performance enhancing drugs while simultaneously mitigating the side effects (comic book science. Roll with it.). He protects this system (and himself) with cloth-like armor that looks like a plague doctor costume. To top it off he wears a plague doctor mask with some basic utility like a re-breather, night vision and thermal vision built in.

For combat, he fights with a walking stick (club) and syringes full of nasty drugs and poisons of his own design. He hides these syringes in secret pockets all over his costume.

The build:

I think I've got the syringes covered by using a Variable Power Pool with various Aids and Drains. Where I'm having trouble is building the suit. I want virtually all of his characteristics to be enhanced while in his super-persona. First, I tried buying average characteristics (along with Normal Characteristic Maxima), then buying each increase as a separate power, each with "Focus (Obvious Inaccessible)" and "Only in Heroic Persona." This just looks really messy to me though. Is there a way to lump these powers together under a single Focus? Should I be using an Elemental Control for this?

I have about a billion other questions, but let's start with this. Thanks in advance, everyone!

In basic that sounds like a Power Armor with an unusual special effects.

First:

You can jsut name the Focus in the Focus Limitation. When you have 5 different Powers, all with OIF (Hazmat Suite, -1/2) it's clear that all of the 5 are on the same Focus - not on 5 different ones

If you have HD the List approach is propably easier, but you migth still want the Characteristics and Drugs use the same Focus.

Focus or OIHID:

The most important questions is if you want damage to take away powers. Foci will usually be hit by any attack hitting the Character. If the attack does more Body than highest AP/5 or Defenses provided by the focus (wichever is higher), you loose one random power bought on the Focus. Consider adding enough PD that a average Power Blast can't do body (10-14, dependign on game), otherwise you loose powers too often. You can also buy Defenses wih "Only for Focus (-2)" or "only for Foci (-1)" to prevent equipment failure.

Drugs:

Try going with a Multipower first.

Also consider either Charges or 0 END on the Powers/the entire Framework (you don't need to, however). You don't have to define how these Charges are distributed in Advance (Hawkeye, Green Arrow and Batman always have the right amount of every Arrow/Batrang in thier Arsenal).

If a Framework itself is bought on a Focus (OIF to Change Slots or all Slots OIF), then the Entire Framework is regared as one Power (of Reserve + 1/Slot AP) for purposes of Focus Damage Rules.

Afaik, in order for each set of Drugs to be lost seperately, you can't apply "all Slots OIF" to the Reserve. You can only apply it to each slot, not the Reserve.

You should propably go for IIF, as the pockets are hidden. This might even be a case for a valid IIF and OIHID combination (you only have them in HID and they could be broken/taken).

Thanks, that's incredibly helpful. I must have missed the focus damage rules. What I had done was split the suit into two layers. The Metabolic Regulation System (looking for a better name/clever acronym for this) as an IIF worn under clothing, and an armored coat (real armor, OIHID) worn over top. Is there a way to make the coat's PD apply to the focus, or should I combine these and call it one "costume?"

I dont see any reason you could not have both inner and outer suits as Only In Mad Doctor ID, and still seperate.

Other Limitations I'd look at to fit concept:

Fuel Charges. Surely the suit cannot have a limitless supply of the drugs needed to maintain those superhuman Characteristics.

Side Effects. In addition to or instead of the Fuel Limitation, maintaining this artificially inflated performance too long has undesireable consequences.

Dependence. In addition to or instead of the above, going without the suit's drugs may have serious biochemical consequences. This would also explain why no one else is ever offered the same regimen - a treatment that creates a superpowered addict would be unethical.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks, what's a plague doctor?

Where do you live' date=' that "Plague Doctor" is not automatically followed by "what?!?" ;)[/quote']

17th century Europe, apparently. :P Actually, all my friends have played Assassin's Creed, so they were familiar with the costume at least.

About the build: I kinda pictured this guy grabbing 2-4 syringes at a time and hitting with them altogether, which would allow me to mix and match effects. E.g. a drain dex, drain int, and drain stun as one attack. Is there a way to do that short of autofire and separate attack rolls?

Thanks' date=' that's incredibly helpful. I must have missed the focus damage rules. What I had done was split the suit into two layers. The Metabolic Regulation System (looking for a better name/clever acronym for this) as an IIF worn under clothing, and an armored coat (real armor, OIHID) worn over top. Is there a way to make the coat's PD apply to the focus, or should I combine these and call it one "costume?"[/quote']

By raw a "Focus is outside/unprotected by any defenses it does not provide".

But I am not certain if it would cause a problem in this case. Both Foci are inaccessible after all.

Fuel Charges. Surely the suit cannot have a limitless supply of the drugs needed to maintain those superhuman Characteristics.

Time Limit might be better for Characteristics.

About the build: I kinda pictured this guy grabbing 2-4 syringes at a time and hitting with them altogether' date=' which would allow me to mix and match effects. E.g. a drain dex, drain int, and drain stun as one attack. Is there a way to do that short of autofire and separate attack rolls?[/quote']

There is expanded effect. (Only good for VPP's or if you pre-build certain mixtures)

Building a compound Power. (Or linking powers. By definition you can fire them and what they are linked with as one attack action).

Making a "Combined Attack" Maneuver. To work with Frameworks, both Power must be slotted at the same time (you cannot "switch" slots during the attack action").

There is also the Multiple Attack Maneuver. It's mechanic is described at hitting with "attack after attack", but I don't see why it could not have the special effect of "I hit him with multiple Syringes at once" (you just need to figure out "miss" description)

Thanks again, everyone! You've all given me a lot to think about.

My GM suggested that if I make the coat a Force Field instead of Armor it would protect the Focus underneath. I'm having trouble fluffing this though.

The next challenge is going to be statting out my vehicle. I want to have an old-school Cadillac ambulance that functions as mobile lab (so I can refuel and restock my syringes between combats.) It should also have medical equipment to help patch up injured persons. Not sure if that means healing power or just skill boosts yet.

Thanks again, everyone! You've all given me a lot to think about.

My GM suggested that if I make the coat a Force Field instead of Armor it would protect the Focus underneath. I'm having trouble fluffing this though.

I don't think you got that part right:

By default no Focus benefits from a defense he doesn't provides.

The only RAW way around this would be a +10 adder "Affects carried" wich is indeed limited to Forcefields in 5E.

However you should ask any GM first if you can just write it down taht the exo-sekeleton is protected by the costume layer. It isn't an accessible/easily shared Focus like a gun and you can't protect peopels you carry with your costume.

I think the adder is only apropirate for people who can decide to protect others, but he can never expand this protection to anything he carries.

The next challenge is going to be statting out my vehicle. I want to have an old-school Cadillac ambulance that functions as mobile lab (so I can refuel and restock my syringes between combats.) It should also have medical equipment to help patch up injured persons. Not sure if that means healing power or just skill boosts yet.

Write down the Vehicle, maybe with some Skill Bonus to his skills (the lab), or with the Skill itself (if a Vehicle or base has the same skill as a character, you can use the objects Skill as Complimentary Roll).

That he can refill is not a function of the car. Simply define the charges on his equipment as "Recoverable" (it is two steps down the Charge-Chart). Recovering happens when he restocks at his car. But by RAW thsi recovering is limited to restockign once/day. If you want more, try using clips instead.

Well, I took the limitation "Recover Only Under Certain Circumstances (requires lab)." I like the roleplaying aspect of having to raid a hospital or drugstore to mix up concoctions to resupply my syringes. The vehicle is meant as an emergency mobile lab, so I'm cool with that only working once a day.

Thanks for the heads-up about Force Field. I must have misunderstood. If the GM makes a fuss about the Coat, I'll just make the armor a function of the MRS and the coat can just be stylish.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate all the advice!

Well' date=' I took the limitation "Recover Only Under Certain Circumstances (requires lab)." I like the roleplaying aspect of having to raid a hospital or drugstore to mix up concoctions to resupply my syringes. The vehicle is meant as an emergency mobile lab, so I'm cool with that only working once a day.[/quote']

What exactly do you mean?

That sounds like you used limited recovery.

Normal Recovery is "every 24 hours", or plunder somebody elses Charges (asumes there are others with identical weaposn around).

Reduced means: More than 24 hours or only after 24 hours in certain conditions.

"Recoverable" means you can restock once every 24 hours. In effect you have an additional Clip taht is changed by roleplaying. A lot of GM's allow "1 Recoverable Charge" to stand in for "throwing weapon with additional functions", btu technically lockuout or something custom would be better.

Even easier to recover are clips. You don't have one set of 32 Charges, but 2, 4 or 16.

The ultimative is Reduced Endrurance (0 END) or using a power with no endurance cost to begin with. You simply never run out.

Thanks for the heads-up about Force Field. I must have misunderstood. If the GM makes a fuss about the Coat' date=' I'll just make the armor a function of the MRS and the coat can just be stylish.[/quote']

At tops I woulds say the Exoskeleton is Inobvious, because teh costume provides Visual Protection. But otherwise I don't see a problem from it benefitting from the Protection fo the Costume.

That sounds like you used limited recovery.

Normal Recovery is "every 24 hours", or plunder somebody elses Charges (asumes there are others with identical weaposn around).

Reduced means: More than 24 hours or only after 24 hours in certain conditions.

"Recoverable" means you can restock once every 24 hours.

No, as you say just 2 sentances earlier the normal "recovery" for charges is daily. Recoverable means you can go pick the item up and use it again. Like arrows (the ones that don't break) or sling stones, or throwing stars or et cetera. The being able to restock either at home base or every 24 hours or whatever (depending on the build) is part of Charges in general and has nothing to do with the Recoverable part.

EDIT:

"Recoverable" means you can restock once every 24 hours. In effect you have an additional Clip taht is changed by roleplaying. A lot of GM's allow "1 Recoverable Charge" to stand in for "throwing weapon with additional functions", btu technically lockuout or something custom would be better.

Also, "1 Recoverable Charge" and "Lockout" can be, and often are, used on the same item. Cap's shield is a prime example. Blast, 1 Recoverable Charge because he has to retrieve the shield and Lockout on the shield's other abilities because they can't be used until he gets the shield back. In other words Lockout does not "technically work better" because it has a completely different function and is often included in the same item if the item is a multipower.

"Recoverable" means you can restock once every 24 hours.

No, it doesn't. So please stop saying that. You might confuse someone new to Hero.

Lucius Alexander

I'm sure the palindromedary is confusing enough