How would you make "the Doctor"?

SSgt Baloo

While I am a fan of Doctor Who, I'm always a bit confused about how you might build such a character. As a PC, otherwise where's the challenge?

All I know for certain is that he regenerates, but only under certain circumstances, he's brilliant, he has a notepad that says whatever he wants it to (usually as I.D. or other credentials), a spacetime deus ex machina thaat takes him from wherever he is to wherever he's needed, regardless whether that's where he wants to go, and everybody who's made an enemy of him fears him tremendously.

How would one even begin to describe The Doctor for 250 points? 350? 500?

So... Any takers?

Re: Yow would you make "the Doctor"?

Well, I can only give you guidelines.

Psychic Paper: Illusion on a Focus (IAF).

Sonic Screwdriver: A slight multipower which should include Telekineces, Flash VS Hearing (It is sonic, you know), and prehaps Overall Levels (as it helps him solve small problems, but usaly dosen't help him solve large problems).

TARDIS: It is a vehical with the Time Travel option of Extra Dimentinal Movement. It also has a 'computer' which makes it psychic. It is Invisable to all sences EXCEPT for thoes who are Time Lords, or have been in it before (It makes shure nobody notices it) (NOTE: That is a more recent development for the TARDID. There are many old Doctor Who epasolds where people and things notice it, and take pains to move the darn thing). And it translates all languages into the Queen's English, unless thay speek English of another type, which it does not translate.

Regeneration: The Doctor has some standard Regeneration powers. He also has Shapechange on a powerful Trigger (when Regeneration revives him from the dead). The revival from the dead aspect of Regeneration is bought sepertely and has a powerful and limited Charges on it which do not recover.

By the way, the curent power source for the TARDIS is a served right hand of The Doctor himself (and yes, he did regrow his own hand afterwords).

Time Lord: Prehaps the easest power we know he has...Life Suport: Does Not Age (his ageing is so slow that it might as well be unafected by the ravages of time). He did age ONCE to his true age (Thanks Master), which I beleve it was 5000 years old cronologicaly, and he was still alive.

The Doctor is mildly psychic himself. I don't know how it is curently used in the show, thoe. Prehaps he is a universal recever of thoughts, but not a broadcaster?

Okay, neve watched the show but from what I have heard and read on wikipedia:

TARDIS:

How abotu a base with a EDM Portal?

The base itself (the inards of the tardis) is outside of time and space, only the endpoint of it's tunnel is visible.

As I heard he mostly has controll over where to go. The few time it acts on it's own it could be a Subject to Orders (whims of the tardis), another complciation or just the special effect behind starting adventures (no points).

Questions:

Was ever adressed what would happen if the Tardis is destroyed? Could he get a new one someplace else?

Regeneration:

I heard it started out with a stated limit of 12 or less, but then got increased over and over again. So just ignore that limit and give him Resurrection Regeneration. Any consistent information on where he regenerates (in the Tardis, next to his carcas), what happens to his old body and how long he takes before he can act again?

TARDIS:

How abotu a base with a EDM Portal?

The base itself (the inards of the tardis) is outside of time and space, only the endpoint of it's tunnel is visible.

As I heard he mostly has controll over where to go. The few time it acts on it's own it could be a Subject to Orders (whims of the tardis), another complciation or just the special effect behind starting adventures (no points).

Questions:

Was ever adressed what would happen if the Tardis is destroyed? Could he get a new one someplace else?

IIRC, the only time it "blew up" it destroyed the universe, so there was no place to get another. Somehow the Doctor was able to retroactively prevent or post-actively repair the universe like new, which was somehow related to the recovery and relaunch of the original TARDIS. Somebody else might explain it better, but that's the gist.

How do you make a character so smart nobody (even you, his player) know how he he will solve the problem, whatever it may turn out to be?

How do you make a character so smart nobody (even you' date=' his player) know how he he will solve the problem, whatever it may turn out to be?[/quote']

Sounds like the Special effect behind a VPP.

"I know a dispel would be best. I have no idea how to justify him having that dispel. But he has his 'Smater than his player' VPP so he somehow does exactly that!"

Here's my take, with the caveats that (A) this is based only on the Doctor since the Doctor Who reboot a few years ago (I've never seen the older seasons), and (B) I'm just going off the top of my head, not researching anything, and © I'm going for a smaller number of more general and flexible abilities, rather than a larger list of more finely-detailed abilities. :) (I gave him Special GM Permission to only spend 9 points on Martial Arts, and to have Skills in a Power Framework... :winkgrin:)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44058[/ATTACH]

Re: How would you make "the Doctor"?

The Doctor is not a character at all. He is the deus ex machina, and the show is really more about the companions and the events. When Dr. Who was originally launched, it was to be a teaching show about history. Obviously it has changed a great deal. However, The Doctor is still "just a guide" through the events of the show, until the need arises that the problem is resolved. He then resolves it in his wonderfully Dr. Who way. But to try to focus on him as a character is a fun exercise, but ultimately he would never be played by a player. He would always be the GM's personal NPC in a Dr. Who campaign if for no other reason than the fact he always wins, and that is why all the bad guys fear him, he is the GM.

Now that said, I think Derek nailed the character build! Well done! And repped!

The Doctor is not a character at all. He is the deus ex machina, and the show is really more about the companions and the events. When Dr. Who was originally launched, it was to be a teaching show about history. Obviously it has changed a great deal. However, The Doctor is still "just a guide" through the events of the show, until the need arises that the problem is resolved. He then resolves it in his wonderfully Dr. Who way. But to try to focus on him as a character is a fun exercise, but ultimately he would never be played by a player. He would always be the GM's personal NPC in a Dr. Who campaign if for no other reason than the fact he always wins, and that is why all the bad guys fear him, he is the GM.

Now that said, I think Derek nailed the character build! Well done! And repped!

The point of this thread is not that you can't run Doctor Who because he's just so awesomw it can't be done. The point is how might a PC be constructed that would be enough like The Doctor to be "fair enough" in a supers campaign. In the Whoniverse, the Doctor is almost godlike. In a supers universe, he would not be the only powerful being in existence. If you file the serial numbers off the Doctor character, how much "Doctor-flavor" can you give a character for the above-stated points levels?

We play Hero System. "It can't be done" shouldn't be our fallback position for any such question (and someone inevitably suggests it every time).

The point of this thread is not that you can't run Doctor Who because he's just so awesomw it can't be done. The point is how might a PC be constructed that would be enough like The Doctor to be "fair enough" in a supers campaign. In the Whoniverse, the Doctor is almost godlike. In a supers universe, he would not be the only powerful being in existence. If you file the serial numbers off the Doctor character, how much "Doctor-flavor" can you give a character for the above-stated points levels?

We play Hero System. "It can't be done" shouldn't be our fallback position for any such question (and someone inevitably suggests it every time).

A good friend of mine played character a obviously intended to be The Doctor in one of our past Champions campaigns. What seems deus ex machina in his own series just seems like another cool set of powers in a superhero game. :winkgrin:

Time Lord: Prehaps the easest power we know he has...Life Suport: Does Not Age (his ageing is so slow that it might as well be unafected by the ravages of time). He did age ONCE to his true age (Thanks Master)' date=' which I beleve it was 5000 years old cronologicaly, and he was still alive.[/quote']

I believe he was closer to 900.

When Rory was The Last Centurion I always wanted him to look at the Doctor and say something like "Stop treating me like a child, I am older than you."

I'd probably consider the TARDIS a plot device, myself. As often as not, he can't seem to control the bloody thing, so ...

I'd probably do the Regeneration as the Healing with Resurrection adder, with a (zero-point) side effect of re-arranging his psych lims and appearance every time. The limitation of 12 regenerations would probably not be worth a limitation (since, I'm certain if the show's main actors switch out a number of times past that limit, and the how is still renewed, they'll find some way to cheat it).

Obviously, a metric ass-tonne of skills. Lots of overall levels. KS: Everything and SS: Science on huge skill rolls so he can eat the penalties for narrower subjects.

Obviously' date=' a metric ass-tonne of skills. Lots of overall levels. KS: Everything and SS: Science on huge skill rolls so he can eat the penalties for narrower subjects.[/quote']

Yeah, that's the problem with the Doctor as a player character. He knows everything. About everyone.

The point of this thread is not that you can't run Doctor Who because he's just so awesomw it can't be done. The point is how might a PC be constructed that would be enough like The Doctor to be "fair enough" in a supers campaign. In the Whoniverse' date=' the Doctor is almost godlike. In a supers universe, he would not be the only powerful being in existence. If you file the serial numbers off the Doctor character, how much "Doctor-flavor" can you give a character for the above-stated points levels?[/quote']

Doesn't every superhuman look like godlike in his own comic?

Superman has several stories that establish him as "being strong enough to conquer the world single handedly." Yet we can still built a flying brick with heat vision on 400 points. And he works well with the justice league and their foes.

Same with green latern, whose power went up as far as "Space god" - without any entity.

I'd probably do the Regeneration as the Healing with Resurrection adder' date=' with a (zero-point) side effect of re-arranging his psych lims and appearance every time. The limitation of 12 regenerations would probably not be worth a limitation (since, I'm certain if the show's main actors switch out a number of times past that limit, and the how is still renewed, they'll find some way to cheat it).[/quote']

Aren't they currently at 400 something as limit?

As the "looks different every regeneration" is mostly so they can switch actors, why would we even need it ona champions character?

Seriously I don't expect a super to die at all, so I would not even charge him something for the resurrection adder.

Yeah' date=' that's the problem with the Doctor as a player character. He knows everything. About everyone.[/quote']

How does he aquire that knowledge? Can he just pull it "out of the universe" like people breath? Or is it stuff he learned from his travels?

What about Jimmy Joe, from Little joes pizza at the Interstate 108. Does he know everything about him?

What about Jon Doe, amnesiac patient Nr. 206 in country hospital? Could the doctor tell him his real identity and what he had to breakfast the day he lost his memory?

Aren't they currently at 400 something as limit?

According to the info I've seen, the limit has rarely actually been talked about in the series (it's apparently a much bigger deal in fandom, trying to define the Doctor). It was originally 12 (which technically they still haven't reached, so who knows?... it might still be 12). Then in an episode of the Sarah Jane Chronicles, he flippantly says he can regenerate 507 times.

But as River Song very wisely points out, rule number one is: The Doctor lies. :)

So taking any number as the "limit" on his regeneration is taking the Doctor's own word for it. Taking the Doctor's word for something (especially something about himself/his background) strikes me as dicey at best... :winkgrin:

How does he aquire that knowledge? Can he just pull it "out of the universe" like people breath? Or is it stuff he learned from his travels?

Probably his travels and hacking into every database in the Universe.

What about Jimmy Joe' date=' from Little joes pizza at the Interstate 108. Does he know everything about him?[/quote']

May depend if Jimmy Joe is going to do something famous, or infamous in the future.

What about Jon Doe' date=' amnesiac patient Nr. 206 in country hospital? Could the doctor tell him his real identity and what he had to breakfast the day he lost his memory?[/quote']

Pulls out the sonic screwdriver, points it at Patient # 206. "You're name is Bernie Schultz, or at least you have his DNA, and you had kippers for breakfast before you got hit over the head and your wallet stolen."

Probably his travels and hacking into every database in the Universe.

May depend if Jimmy Joe is going to do something famous, or infamous in the future.

That is a far cry from "everything about everybody". It's "a lot about important stuff".

It might just be KS: Future Events. A quite common skill for time travellers.

Pulls out the sonic screwdriver' date=' points it at Patient # 206. "You're name is Bernie Schultz, or at least you have his DNA, and you had kippers for breakfast before you got hit over the head and your wallet stolen."[/quote']

So it's a function of the Screwdirver, not his own knowledge.

The more you look at it, the clearer it becomes that there are limits to this ability.

When there are limits, then we can increase those limits until his power becomes acceptably low for a game.