Clothesline a someone running by you

Duane From RI

In the fluff of Book of the Machine, Mechanon is in a battle where a speedster is the first hero to arrive. Mechanon predicts that the speedster will try to run past him. He plans to stick out an arm and clothesline the speedster.

What are the game mechanics for this kind of maneuver. Obviously fluff doesn't have to match mechanics, but I am building a pro-wrestler style hero.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1) The rules are pretty clear that you can't abort to an attack.

2) Is there rules for readying an action? Maybe I missed them.

3) Trigger would be wicked expensive.

How about the classic pro-wrestling counter-move of ducking under a running clothesline and flipping the attacker over your back?

1) This could be bought as a STR only to throw opponent attack power linked to a Duck Under defense power

2) Would you have to ignore Martial Arts Maneuvers you may have and have to purchase all OCV and DCV bonuses separately for that

Re: Clothesline a someone running by you

Mechanon could have Delayed his previous Phase's action to attempt to hit the Speedster while they were in HTH range. Mechanon's clothesline attack could use the Move By mechanics with the velocity supplied by the speedster. Mechanon probably has enough KB Resistance and/or base defenses that he could Brace vs. KB and suck up the speedster's attack without worrying about it.

Mechanon would have to delay his action until the speedster got to him then attack - which would require a DEX v DEX contest. Any attack may be effective, even a normal strike: assuming that Mechanon has enough power to cause some KB, the Speedster would fall over. Mechanon would not take any damage if he acted first.

You do not need a specific 'clothesline' attack - just look at the result you want and do whatever acheives that result. The rules for holding an action are at 6.2.20.

HyperMan's suggestion of using a Move By is also a good one, as it uses the Speedster's own velocity against him, but a move by only uses half the relevant STR, so it may do less damage overall, and does expose Mechanon to potential damage - although, as HyperMan says, his defences can cope.

Mechanon could also use a delayed action to step into the way of the speedster and brace, which would effectively convert the action to a move through, which could cause more damage.

As for the counter move, well, if the Speedster won the DEX v DEX and had taken less than half a move, he could change the attack he uses on Mechanon to, for instance, a throw.

The short answer is that you can use almost any attack - all you want to do is cause damage and knock the target down.

For something simpler, how about Mechannon declared that he was going to grab and throw the speedster. The grab is of course he is sticking his arm out. Also since Mechannon delared how this would work, then he can't change his mind and then hold on to the speedster after the fact. This would also work for the wrestler move you were asking about Duane from RI. Remember manuevers are just names, you then come up with the special effect. Its an axiom that took me years to understand :)

Grab and Throw works, Trip could work, a Legsweep maneuver could be used, or it could be a simple Strike (with knockback considered directed Down such that, if it does knockback, the target falls). A Move By or Move Through using relative velocity would be my choice. I lean to Move Through, as I like the idea that, if Mechanon does not do Knockback to the speedster, he takes full damage from the attack as well.