Building a Star System

tkdguy

Re: Building a Star System

Not very realistic. For one thing' date=' it has each color star being equally likely.[/quote']

For "non main sequence" stars, yes. Which could mean several different things, so that's a bit confusing. The first table for primary star generation gives a result of main sequence red dwarfs on a result of 03-75 using percentile dice, which is closer to the mark.

Overall, I found this system a bit less detailed than I like. I don't go into all the intricate details of every star system in my campaign, but I like to be able to do so if necessary. On the other hand, if I need a "quick and dirty" data set for a star system, my solution is to use my preferred detailed generation systems and skip the rolls I don't need in order to speed things up.

I have "default" atmospheres for certain world types, basic assumptions about planetology which will hold unless there's an anomaly, and then there are certain things the players just don't bother asking about: they don't care about orbital inclinations and eccentricities, and unless they're on an exploration mission, assaying a planet's resources is usually the farthest thing from their minds. Knowing what to omit speeds things up a lot.

And of course, there are no randomly rolled stars in my games: they're all real star systems so I get their data from an astronomy website; http://www.solstation.com is my favorite. The only problem is, the astronomers keep changing their minds, finding new stars, and screwing up my maps....