Public vs. Secret Identity

Cassandra

Re: Public vs. Secret Identity

The HUB has been re showing Superman:TAS episodes recently and I just watched "The Late Mr. Kent" which deals specifically with secret id issues. He ends up going to Smallville to talk to Ma & Pa and they suggest he gives up the identity of Clark Kent. His retort was something like: "But I am Clark! I'd need to be Clark. I'd go nuts if I had to be Superman 24 hours a day!"

I've spent an hour looking for an online copy of the clip but no luck.

I did find this old favorite though:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something else about this thread people have left out. The public/secret ID doesn't just apply to putting on the mask. It's about having a secret that will cause complications if the public knows about it. That's why it's now a Social Complication. I remember an Islamic NPC in one of the books who had "Secret ID: terrorist". In a Fantasy Hero campaign where magic is forbidden someone could have "Secret ID: mage". If you look at it that way someone can have multiple secret and public identities. For example everyone may know Tom Smith is Mighty Man - hero to millions - but no one knows that Tom Smith is also a member of a secret society or that he was once a Viper agent before he got his powers. In this case the secret society would be worth maybe 5 points depending on the nature and public acceptance of the society and the ex-Viper agent would be worth 20 since if that came public it would shatter his heroic career and may even get him thrown in jail.

Both of those are examples of "Harmful Secret", which in 6th ed is a 5 pt Social Complication (although it could be worth more if it is particularly bad (i.e. would result in his death, etc.) The member of a secret society could be a secret id if he was an active member out doing things with the society, but if it wasn't something he was actively doing then its just a "secret".

As far as CvK being mandatory, even if the characters probably wouldn't be killing people normally, they might by accident, and then all kinds of role-playing issues can come up.

Definitely true, but not having CvK doesn't exactly make you immune to them either IMO CvK doesn't mean your average person's aversion to killing. It means a total dedication to not taking a life (or allowing a life to be taken through your own inaction.) Your Average Joe on the street probably doesn't have a CvK, even tho he might be shocked or horrified if he actually did kill someone (or cause their deaths inadvertently, such as a car crash). CvK means that you wont kill even to protect yourself, probably not to protect others, and certainly not for revenge/anger or other reasons. Not to mention the non-psychological ramifications of killing someone, such as being a murderer wanted by the police for killing. Even if you did it in self defense you will likely be arrested and forced to stand trial to PROVE that you only acted in self defense and were reasonably unable to resolve the situation without killing (which might be even harder for a super-powered individual to prove.)

The HUB has been re showing Superman:TAS episodes recently and I just watched "The Late Mr. Kent" which deals specifically with secret id issues. He ends up going to Smallville to talk to Ma & Pa and they suggest he gives up the identity of Clark Kent. His retort was something like: "But I am Clark! I'd need to be Clark. I'd go nuts if I had to be Superman 24 hours a day!"

Yeah, that was a good point for the show's writer's to make. Not everyone wants to be a combination of celebrity/on duty cop&soldier 24/7. It's not any way to live unless you're wired for it. I recall one teen Champs game I was in, my hero got some advice from an adult hero on the importance of having a life with friends and family to keep you grounded, sane, and remind you what really mattered with the unspoken "So don't ignore your secret Identity...it'll keep you together."

I've spent an hour looking for an online copy of the clip but no luck.

I did find this old favorite though:

Possibly my favorite scene from that entire TV series.