Questions to ask

quozaxx

I've just opened up a new game and want to ask the players questions that their characters could answer so the can really, really get "into" their character. I know I have seen questions like this before, but I don't remember where.

I know it had questions from everything to who was your best friend in school, to why they chose their profession.

So, please help me think of questions to ask a player about their character that's more than the normal questions you see.

I want to try to make it to about 100 questions. More than any job interview. Thanks

Hero Central: In Character 20 Questions

1. Who were your parents? Did they raise you? If not why? If not them who? What is your current relationship with the person/people?

2. Did you have any childhood friends? Any siblings? Where are they now (if you know)? Do you stay in touch? Why or why not?

3. What sort of childhood did you have? Try to give more than one word for a response. "Normal" isn't as good as "I had an uneventful suburban childhood with no major family drama to speak of."

4. Who is/are your role model(s)? Why?

5. Prior to becoming a superhero, what did you do for a living? Were you trained to be a superhero? By whom? What sort of relationship did you have with your mentor/master?

6. (This is a hard one) What are your ethical beliefs? Moral beliefs? These can vary greatly. There were Samurai, for example, that valued honor above even their own safety.

7. Do you have any unusual habits or physical traits that are noticeable or easy to identify you by? Where do they come from?

8. If you meet someone for the first time, what is your general reaction? Why?

As Cougar generally cautious. He is still new to the Superhuman World and Crime Fighting and has a lot to learn.

9. How do you feel about killing? When did you decide (or learn) that you could or could not? Why would you kill someone? Do you have any true enemies? Would you be able to kill them?

10. Detail some of your relationships? Do you have any close friends? Any bitter rivals? A girl/boyfriend, or a husband/wife? How do you act around them?

11. What sort of things do you have bad reactions to? Do you have any phobias or intense dislikes?

12. How quickly can you learn to trust somebody? How fully do you trust people?

13. Describe your physical appearance. This includes style, manner of dress, any tattoos or piercings, any deformities or physical defects or injuries.

14. Do you have a daily routine? How do you handle interruptions and changes to it?

15. Were you present for any major event in the world, historical or otherwise? Did it affect you? If so, how?

16. Is your lineage, ancestry, or family name known for anything? oes this affect you?

17. Where are you from? Where are your parents from? Do you embrace their culture?

18. What are your dreams and/or ambitions. What are your lifelong goals?

19. What are you doing to seek to obtain them? How does adventuring fit into this dream, or does it at all?

20. How do you feel about the opposite gender. Again, your answer should be detailed. Men, do you hold the door for ladies at any chance? Do you think all women are crazy? Women, do you let the men buy you a drink? Do you drink it? Do either of you have a significant other in your life? Do you ultimately want to meet one? Does/will they know about your superhero career? Do you plan to have a family someday.

Good Luck

QM

If you're looking for the players to fill out a questionnaire, I would avoid going with 100 questions, because it'll be too intimidating and you'll get players reluctant to fill out the questionnaire at all. (At least, that's been my own experience. YMMV.) Having some related combo-questions is okay. ("Do you have any kids? If so, what are their names and ages? Is there anything unique about each one? e.g. 'Marie is a computer savant, able to do almost anything she wants on the internet')

My current campaign is called Last Chancers. They are the charter members of a new super team, in a world where superheros are treated like rock stars and super teams are run like NFL franchises.

Each player was requiored to have a reason why they aren't on a super team now (PR nightmare, uncoachable, not a team player, drunkard, too ugly for their face to sell lunchboxes, etc.). They also had to provide the reason why they wanted to be on a super team now (love the fame, need the money, no sense of identity unless they are a super).

This is mostly so that when the team manager threatens to cut them, it's a threat with teeth in it.

I'd say go with a few open ended questions that will get the ideas flowing and give the players more creative license.

Such as:

"Although they both have a firm understanding of their professional relationship now, Captain Awesome still..."

"Captain Awesome will never forget the moment when..."

"The reason that Captain Awesome will never admit that deep down he actually respects..."

" Captain Awesome still does not truly understand, or have a firm grasp on..."

"The reason people will never understand the true horror/love/shame that Captain Awesome has for..."

Jake