Differentiating Arcane, Divine, Psionic

CrosshairCollie

Thinking about running an Eberron game using HERO System (which I think about a lot and never do, but nevermind that). Anyway, I'm pondering how to differentiate the three types of casting/manifesting. Normally I wouldn't mess with divine magic in a setting, but there's a whole freakin' country that revolves around it ... anyway. Fortunately, there are still 'D&Disms' I can jettison; it's going to be a rather loose conversion, not worrying about, say, daily resources and such.

1. Arcane, Divine, and Psionic are different for the sake of adjustment powers.

2. Arcane Power skill is based on INT, Divine on EGO, Psionic on ... CON? Arcanists don't need different skills for different schools; easy dabbling makes sense for Eberron. I might even increase the spell-cost multiplier.

3. Now the hard part ... base limitations on powers.

3a. Divine requires OAF Holy Symbol. Since Eberron's gods are distant and non-interfering, if they even exist at all, 'religious restrictions' doesn't seem to fit. Perhaps Incantations but not Gestures. Not sure what to do for the END cost here ... maybe require Zero End?

3b. Psionic requires Concentration; END costs from their innate END. No gestures or incantations.

3c. Arcane requires Gestures and Incantations (never been a fan of the D&D 'pocket full of crap' material components). Arcane power comes from the MANA stat (from the 4e Fantasy Hero Companion 2).

Somehow, this doesn't feel like enough. Any other thoughts?

I've played D&D but I am not familiar with Eberron particularly, so you can take the rest of this for what its worth.

I agree with Shadow Hawk about basing Divine on PRE and Psionic on EGO. Priests need to be charismatic to lead their flock and recruit converts.

From a balance and flavor standpoint, I would let psionic run on personal END, but require that it cost at least x2 END or something to keep it from being used willy-nilly. I would have Arcane run on an END Reserve, but make the REC rate slow so they would have to moderate their spell casting. I would put Divine magic either on Charges (so they don't pester their deity all the time for magical favors) or on an END Reserve, but the REC requires so many hours of prayer or sacrifice (the sacrifice could be many different things depending on the deity, anything from a monetary donation to human sacrifice). That will give each magic type its own flavor.

Well, pestering their deity isn't an issue, as there may not be a deity there to pester. If Eberron has gods, they don't manifest in any provable fashion. The power comes from Faith, not gods; by official word of the creator of the setting, if you believe strongly enough in your shoes, you get divine powers. This is why Ego makes sense to me; you have to 'convince yourself', in a manner of speaking, that what you believe is true.

Arcanists don't need different skills for different schools; easy dabbling makes sense for Eberron.

In Eberron there are many Arcane magic using professions (Artificer, Bard, etc.) are you intending to seperate these or is it going to fall under the perview of the Wizard?

I think this is a important question because it will help determine the flavor of magic. I would following on from this by suggesting defined spell lists; Either pre-generated spells or a set of guidelines & restriction determining what spells a Type/Profession can cast. This will help keep the different types of magic seperate, Arcane should have little or no healing (exception of Necromany) but have a wide selection of spells, where as Divine focuses on areas of Life, Death & Undeath.

In Eberron many practitioners of the Arcane exist but not all in the same manner. This would best be defined by a Professional Skill: Wizard, Artificer, Sorcerer and Bard

With taught Magic Users they share a fundimental foundation in knowledge and practise but have developed differently.

i.e. Artificers - Magic Engineers are responsible for many of the Techno-Magic Devices; Lighting Rail (Train), Street Lights and Airships. Although they share some spells with with they work differently. In Hero terms they have the same effect but the special effect/process are different. Artificers' magic relates to their craft focusing on enchantment. i.e. A wizard casts Bull Strength on a person, the Artificer would cast it on a possession of the person such as their belt. In effect the Artificer has created a temporary Belt of Bull Strength.

Builds:

1) Talents - Arcane, Divine & Psionic - When a talent is purchased it grants the relevent Power Skill:and a Spell List which a character can select spells from.

a) Arcane

a1) Wizard

a2) Artificer

a3) Sorcerer

a4) Bard

B) Divine

c) Psionic

Although each type of magic draws its power from a different source I would use a give each a Endurance Reserve with a Slow Recovery (Type Specific):

Arcane (Learnt) - 5 Hours resting or light activities and 1 study

Arcane (Innate) - 5 Hours resting of Light Activities

Divine - Perform faith specific ritual (Only once per 12 hours) to fully recover.

Psionic - 5 Hours resting or light activities and 1 meditation

This is to maintain a balance between Magic Types,

The Talents could be expanding into a ranking system (Fantasy Hero). A characters rank could restrict spell list access (Active Point) and provide a quick reference for the power level of a magic user. In restricting spells by rank your will show a clear difference be a dedicated practitioner and a person who is dabbling in magic.

Also when a person reachs a specific rank they can purchase a relevent perk.

i.e: Arcane - Wizard Rank.1 - Novice. Rank.3 - Journeyman, Rank.5 - Master & Rank.8 - Grandmaster

Limitations as suggested.

If you are going to cost the Spells on a fraction of the real cost in relationship to the Sorcerer and Wizard I would make spells more expensive for the Sorcerer but their Endurance Researve Cheaper. To represent that they only have a small selection of spells compared to a wizard but have more mana to cast spells, keeping with a D&D feel.

These are just some brief ideas. I not sure if this was what you were after.