Winter Adventuring -- Thought?

L. Marcus

Note: I wanted to post this in the Hero System Discussion Forum, but no dice. I thought this forum would be the next best fit ...

Does anyone know of any official write-ups of skis and skates? Skiing and skating? 6ED's handling of temperatures, frostbite, and sundry seems to cover exposure well enough, and treating deep snow (if the character is on foot) as undergrowth fits as well.

For myself, I'd say skis (the terrain-going, cross-country variant, not modern slalom or track cross-country) costs no points in themselves, but having those and the TF (plus, maybe, Combat Skiing) make getting around in deep snow much easier -- same for snowshoes. Skates I'd buy as extra Running with perhaps Half END Cost ...

​Anything else?

Cross-country skis can probably equal running speeds in the right terrain (flat or slight downhill slope), but the real advantage to both skis and snowshoes for travel is not so much extra speed but the fact it requires much less stamina to go over the snow rather than through it, especially in the case of skis where you can potentially glide a lot. I still think Environmental Movement: Deep Snow is a good build, but I would make the penalty for not having it as much about spending extra END as impeding movement.

I don't know if I agree with that ... There's some truth in it, but moving about in, say, thigh-deep snow is just about as tiring as wading in the same depth of water. I the big problem isn't the expense of energy -- it's that there's stuff in the way! :)

But certainly, one extra END for every Phase in which a character moves unaided through deep snow isn't all that unrealistic.