Atlantean age

incrdbil

• 2 weeks later...

Lemuria is very fresh, as sunken lands go -- it was hypothesized as a means to explain the distribution of various species in Africa and Indonesia, before this newfangled continental drift thingie. It came about in the 1800s. I think it was Madame Blavatsky that made Lemuria the home of an advanced, psionic species of Man.

As for Atlantis, the Ten Kings, their descent from Poseidon, their Empire, and so forth -- that's straight from Plato. I don't think there's been any earlier recorded versions of that myth; chances are good that he made the whole thing up whole-cloth, as a political/sociological metaphor.

Most of the rest of it - straight up Rule Of Cool! :dyn

Also, in Hero Games's official present-day superhero setting, the "Champions Universe," remnants of both Atlantis and Lemuria continue to exist as undersea realms. The Atlantean Age is part of the historical timeline of that universe. The Champions book Hidden Lands outlines their history over the intervening millennia, and what they're like today (although the MMORPG, Champions Online, has added more to Lemuria since HL was published).

• 4 weeks later...

In operation, it's a setting for Fantasy Hero Champions. Empyreans fit in, which should tell you something. However, there's no reason you can't run it as a 75-point Fantasy Hero setting; just don't get in a fight with Atlantean magic-equipped super soldiers or Lemurian agents with sorcery-tech if you can't also take on dragons. Of course, getting ahold of Atlantean or Lemurian gear could be quite a power-up. I'd be up for a low-fantasy to epic fantasy game like that.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe so, but it doesn't seem too hard. My main idea on that would be redressing the costs of items versus spells. Spell like abilities come far cheaper than items, to the point of taking spell buffs to normal free items is a far better option.

A former player of mine wanted to run a time-lost Atlantean lancer as his PC in a modern-day supers game. It proved to be suprisingly easy to adapt him. Lancers are magically augmented to peak-human physical level just in their baseline template. Adding a divine-blood template, and a few of their standard enchanted weapons and equipment, brought him most of the way to starting superhero status.