What I'm Working On: HârnHero v2.0

AlHazred

Probably ten years ago (or more) I was put in the hot-seat to run a Fantasy Hero game for my regular Saturday group. At the time, I had just purchased the HârnWorld basic folio for $5. This was a great product with an index, a beautiful setting map, a gazetteer, and a sample castle map; so, I used a random location from the setting and began a Zombie Apocalypse Fantasy Hero game.

The campaign lasted for eight years over three distinct phases (my group calls them "seasons"), over which time I picked up more of the HârnWorld line of castle and city maps. Looking back on it, I kind of regret the way I stumbled into it. Hârn has some great intrigue metaplot going on, and plenty of highly-detailed, plausible-feeling location modules, none of which I was able to really use because I was in the process of destroying the world. I found a basic Hârn Hero conversion online, but I ended up doing a bunch of conversion work myself. Eventually I made a HârnHero document that circulated among my group and a few select people on the Internet.

So, I'm currently working to finish up my Traveller Hero campaign after the next "season" of play, and was casting around for what to run after that, and my mind turned to Hârn. There's been a huge amount of additional material published since then, and a ridiculous amount of high-quality free supplementary material. I dusted off the old conversion material and immediately got the bug to finish it off. I'd never actually completed the conversion to my satisfaction, and rereading it, I had a different design focus back then. So, I'm going to go over everything and work up a series of pdfs and Hero Designer templates/prefabs/package deals to do a proper HârnHero 2.0 conversion.

Comments and questions welcome!

HârnWorld - Introduction.pdf

Design Goals

1. Elegant solutions trump accurate-but-crunchy solutions. This means strict accuracy might suffer in the interest of making something easy to use during gameplay.

2. Source fluff has higher significance than source crunch. So, the description of a spell should inform the Hero version more than the HârnMaster implementation of said spell.

3. Try to maintain compatibility with other Fantasy Hero campaigns. That means, don't make new rules items to convert things if there's a way to do it under the rules as they exist in core Fantasy Hero. Caveat: Advanced Players Guide I and II material is fair game.

Step 1: Character Generation

Characteristics

Many HârnMaster characteristics map directly.

HârnMaster            Hero

Strength                   Strength

Stamina                   Constitution

Dexterity                  Dexterity

Intelligence               Intelligence

Will                          Ego

Hârn Agility is the ability to move the whole body; this loosely translates to Hero System Speed.

Hero System Presence sort of maps to two Hârn attributes: Voice and Comeliness.

Hârn uses several attributes that map to Hero System Perception rolls: Eyesight, Hearing, and Smell. In converting characters, I would convert those items associated with one of these stats into a corresponding bonus to Perception rolls. Skills and other things dependent on them I would base instead on Hero System Intelligence. Alternatively, I need to consider whether Hârn uses the "Perception As A Characteristic" alternative rule listed in the APG II, page 8 and 10, although that conflicts with Design Goal 3.

Hârn uses one attribute that is difficult to convert directly, namely Aura -- "Hârnic philosophers believe that all living things have Aura and that the physical body is simply a place where the immortal spirit currently resides. High Aura indicates high psychic ability, and is the most important attribute for psionics and magic (although Will and Intelligence are also vital)." AUR influences ability at the various Magic skills and psionics, and also occasionally comes into play in Ritual skill and the associated religious invocations. Maybe convert it to Presence? Or, I may have to make it a new characteristic, although that conflicts with Design Goal 3.

Skills

HârnMaster uses a big list of skills, some of which are "Automatic" (this is the equivalent of Everyman Skills in HERO). Here's the list of skills and what I consider to be HERO System equivalents. "Automatic" skills are indicated with an asterisk (*).

Hârn Skill                                                HERO Skill

Physical Skills

Acrobatics                                                Acrobatics

Climbing*                                                  Climbing

Dancing                                                   PS: Dancing (PRE-based)

Jumping*                                                  extra Leaping meters

Legerdemain                                           Sleight of Hand

Stealth*                                                   Stealth

Swimming                                                extra Swimming meters

Throwing*                                                WF: Thrown, Combat Skill Levels

Communication Skills

Acting                                                      Acting

Awareness*                                             Perception (General)

Lovecraft                                                 Charm

Mental Conflict                                        Mental Combat Skill Levels/OMCV/DMCV

Oratory*                                                  Oratory

Rhetoric*                                                 Persuasion, Presence Attacks

Singing*                                                   PS: Singing (PRE-based)

Language                                                Language

Combat Skills

Unarmed*                                                WF: Unarmed, Combat Skill Levels, Martial Arts

Riding                                                      Riding

Axe, Blowgun, Bow, Club, Dagger, Flail,

Net, Polearm, Shield, Sling, Spear,

Sword, Whip                                            WF, Combat Skill Levels (by Weapon Familiarity Group)         

Lore/Craft Skills                        

Agriculture                                               PS: Agriculture

Alchemy                                                   PS: Alchemy

Animalcraft                                               Animal Handling

Brewing                                                    PS: Brewing

Ceramics                                                  PS: Ceramics

Cookery                                                   PS: Cooking

Drawing                                                   PS: Drawing

Embalming                                               Forensic Medecine

Engineering                                             Mechanics, SS: Engineering

Fishing                                                     PS: Fishing

Fletching                                                  Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered Ranged)

Folklore                                                    KS: Folklore

Foraging                                                  Survival

Glasswork                                                PS: Glassworking

Heraldry                                                   KS: Heraldry

Herblore                                                   PS: Herblore

Hidework                                                  PS: Hidework

Jewelcraft                                                 PS: Jewelcraft

Lockcraft                                                  Lockpicking

Masonry                                                   PS: Masonry

Mathematics                                             SS: Mathematics

Metalcraft                                                 PS: Metalcraft

Milling                                                       PS: Milling

Mining                                                      PS: Mining

Perfumery                                                 PS: Perfumery

Physician                                                  Paramedics

Piloting                                                     Transport Familiarity (per vehicle group), Combat Driving

Seamanship                                              PS: Seamanship

Shipwright                                                 PS: Shipwright

Survival                                                    Survival

Textilecraft                                                PS: Textilecraft

Timbercraft                                               PS: Timbercraft

Tracking                                                   Tracking

Weatherlore                                              KS: Weatherlore

Woodcraft                                                 PS: Woodcraft

Special Cases:

Physical Skills:

Condition: This is basically the Hârnic way to buy up your damage-taking capacity. In HERO, this converts to BODY and STUN.

Skiing: The easy way to convert this to HERO is just to use Transport Familiarity: Skiing. On the other hand, it would be possible to make a new skill, Skiing, similar to the optional Parachuting skill (Hero System Skills, page 364). To meet Design Goal 1, I think I'll use the TF.

Communication Skills:

Intrigue*: This is “the ability to assess and/or act effectively within a social/political situation over a period of time.” This has no specific equivalent in HERO System. I could see using Deduction skill or the optional Analyze: Motive (Hero System Skills, page 78-79) skill for the “assess” part, but the “act effectively” would be some sort of PRE-based skill. I’m thinking it might make sense to rename Streetwise and use that, per Design Goal 1.

Musician: in Hârn, this is broken out by specific instruments. It might make sense to use the optional Musical Instrument Familiarity skill from Hero System Skills, page 362, plus PS: Musician (PRE-based).

Script: In Hârn, each Script is a separate skill and literacy is a big deal. It might make sense to break down Literacy, so each script would represent a separate 1-point investment in (one of your) Languages.

Ritual Skills: These are used to successfully perform invocations (basically divine-magic spells). For the various Ritual skills (each god’s is specific) I’ll make a Ritual Skill as a variant of the Power Skill.

Combat Skills:

Initiative* This is the determiner of who goes first in a combat round. In HERO, we use SPD and DEX. Buying up Initiative skill in Hârn is basically the same as buying Lightning Reflexes in HERO.

Lore/Craft Skills:

Astrology, Runecraft, Tarotry: The best fit for these and similar skills (I’ve seen Palmistry in the materials) is the Divination skill from Hero System Skills, page 355.

Law: As “Knowledge of local law,” this is obviously KS: Law. But it also includes the ability “to settle tenant disputes,” which implies a PRE-based component. I think I’ll rename Bureaucratics and use that, per Design Goal 1.

Weaponcraft: This translates pretty closely to the Weaponsmith skill in HERO System, but where HERO has the Muscle-Powered HTH specialty, Hârn has them broken out by Weapon Familiarity Groups. Also, the Hârn version of the skill includes the optional Armorsmith skill from Hero System Skills, page 354.

This is a worthy goal.  Long ago I also ran a Harnic campaign using the FH rules.  I foolishly got rid of all my Harn material when I stopped gaming many years ago.  When I started gaming again I looked into purchasing the Harn campaign material again but the cost of purchasing Hero and Harn material was just too much for my wallet at the time.

I've not forgotten this thread. As a weekly update, I'll mention I'm in the process of applying the materials above to a Hero Designer template.This is proving to be somewhat time-consuming, but I'm eager to do this right and if I get the template out of the way it'll be easier to build up the Package Deals for the professions.In the meantime, I should talk about Perks.

Perks

Lordship

This perk functions much as it is in Fantasy Hero, page 130, except there's no need for so many ranks -- Hârnic kingdoms are tiny compared to most fantasy campaigns, and have correspondingly fewer ranks.

Value Feudal Rank
1        Squire
2        Knight
3        Baron/Baroness

5        Earl/Earla/Count/Countess
8        King/Queen

10      Overking/Overqueen/Pendragon

The Lordship Fringe Benefit doesn't confer any actual lands; Barons or above (and any knights lucky enough to be landed) should also pay for a Base Perk which covers the size of any lands held.

Military RankGuild Member, Money, Positive Reputation

These perks function exactly as in Fantasy Hero page.131 and 132. In Hârn, money is even scarcer than in most fantasy campaigns -- somewhere I read that the total amount of coined money floating around the isle of Hârn is probably on the order of a few 10s of thousands of silver pence.

Religious Rank

This won't just reflect your rank for social purposes, but also indicates what rank of invocations a character would be able to learn. Because even laity in a church can learn (a few) invocations, even the laity must pay for rank.

Value Rank Min Ritual Skill Title

1        I          8-                        Laity

2        II         10-                      Acolyte / Lay Grandmaster

3        III        11-                       Priest

5        IV       12-                       High Priest / Abbot

7        V        13-                       Bishop / Archbishop

8        VI       15-                       Primate / Cardinal

10      VII      17-                       Pontiff (if applicable)

I would highly recommend picking up the HarnMaster rules. Base Harn is Low Magic for a reason. That reason is that it's easier to add magical elements to the campaign world than remove them. HarnWorld is a toolbox Fantasy Campaign World. HarnMaster has a bit more magic in it than the base world. It's enough of a difference to be noticable between the two sources. HarnMaster Sucks rocks as a system, but there are spells etc in there that you won't find anywhere else. Also there are magic books for each of the schools of the ShekVar Mages. I am going from memory here, as it's been easily 20 years since the last time I picked up a Harn Supplement for play.

Also, from my experience I would recommend using Fantasy Hero Weights for everything esp Armor. The Weights in the Harn Supplements may be more "realistic" but will mess with the game balance for encumberance (IIRC Harn Armors are heavier than FH, which makes fighters super low DCV)

Really? I always thought that FH armor weights were on the high end, as carrying capacity isn't exactly a problem with HERO's default strength table. Just adding up some HM3 plate armor parts, I arrive at 52 lbs for what amounts to a full suit. FH has that as 40kg (88 lbs).

Although one would probably need to build a proper suit piecemeal to really compare things. No such thing as "plate armor".

The HERO weights never quite sat right for me, being rather formulaic (weight based directly on DR).

I would highly recommend picking up the HarnMaster rules. Base Harn is Low Magic for a reason. That reason is that it's easier to add magical elements to the campaign world than remove them. HarnWorld is a toolbox Fantasy Campaign World. HarnMaster has a bit more magic in it than the base world. It's enough of a difference to be noticable between the two sources. HarnMaster Sucks rocks as a system, but there are spells etc in there that you won't find anywhere else. Also there are magic books for each of the schools of the ShekVar Mages. I am going from memory here, as it's been easily 20 years since the last time I picked up a Harn Supplement for play.

I actually have both the HârnMaster 3.0 and HârnMaster Gold rules sets. And HârnMaster Magic and HârnMaster Religion. Even HârnMaster Barbarians. I've been picking-and-choosing what I want to use from each rules set, since I also don't care for the rules system but think the setting has loads of potential.

Also, from my experience I would recommend using Fantasy Hero Weights for everything esp Armor. The Weights in the Harn Supplements may be more "realistic" but will mess with the game balance for encumberance (IIRC Harn Armors are heavier than FH, which makes fighters super low DCV)

I've actually completed preliminary work on a Weapons/Armor document. I should probably post it, though I'm getting ahead of myself in the design process. Please note that it's not done.

Hârn Hero Weapons & Armour.pdf

Really? I always thought that FH armor weights were on the high end, as carrying capacity isn't exactly a problem with HERO's default strength table. Just adding up some HM3 plate armor parts, I arrive at 52 lbs for what amounts to a full suit. FH has that as 40kg (88 lbs).

Although one would probably need to build a proper suit piecemeal to really compare things. No such thing as "plate armor".

The HERO weights never quite sat right for me, being rather formulaic (weight based directly on DR).

We were problably using HM1 in 1993 to play this.