Conversing Midnight fantasy world to Hero System

Theros

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How About that Lorebook? Should I create it?

BTW...I have two voluntare people who are willing to give feedback from conversion rules. If there are some other people who are willing to preview and give ideas to correct or streamline rules. Send me PM and include your email that I can send you file to be previewed.

Interestin Heroic Path, but it seems to be rather hard to convert into Hero System. I can see that most of the abilities are boost to some existing spell, or boost to some existing skill / power.

How those can be handled (few examples):

Bolster Spell: The dragonblooded chooses one spell that he knows. The save DC to resist this spell increases by one. This ability can only be applied to a spell once, and stacks with feats such as Spell Focus.

Bonus Spell: The dragonblooded learns a channeled spell of any school and level he can cast. If the dragonblooded cannot learn channeled spells when he gains this ability, the bonus spell is saved until such time as the hero is able to learn spells (usually after taking the Spellcasting feat).

Quickened Counterspelling: Once per round, the dragonblooded may ready to counterspell with a move action rather than a standard action. He must still follow all other rules associated with counterspelling, including making a Spellcraft check to identify the spell being cast.

Spell Penetration: The dragonblooded gains the listed bonus when making caster level checks to surpass a target’s spell resistance.

Go with the general gist of the path and ditch the D20-specific minutiae. A (limited) Aid Spell or CSL for targeted spells would work, as would several types of Naked Advantage. And if you really restrict spell access (i.e. only via in-game means), then getting the opportunity to spend a few CPs on them without a specific justification is probably fun for the player, too.

Any idea how this can be converted? I think that it is rather powerful, so should I just eliminate this power?

Spontaneous Spell: The jack-of-all-trades gains the ability to cast whatever spell he needs as a spell-like ability. Once per day, he may cast any spell the list as a spell-like ability. He may not cast Conjuration or Evocation spells. This spell is usable once per day.

There are one power in this heroic path where it is possible to choose any spell (except Conjuration and Evocation) as spell like ability usable once per day.

This seems to be quite interesting power... how I can convert it in game terms:

Characters the mountainborn concealed can fire ranged weapons with impunity. When using the sniping action, such characters only suffer a –2 to their Hiding checks on the surprise round and first round of combat, rather than the usual –10. Each round, the penalty to Hide checks while sniping increases by 2, until it reaches the normal penalty of –10.

Situation where this power is needed... Mountainborn uses his power to help characters when hiding in ambush. Then Mountainborn activates this power and gives characters possibility to fire their bows and still stay hidded (if they succeed in Steal checks).

Any idea how this can be converted? I think that it is rather powerful, so should I just eliminate this power?

Spontaneous Spell: The jack-of-all-trades gains the ability to cast whatever spell he needs as a spell-like ability. Once per day, he may cast any spell the list as a spell-like ability. He may not cast Conjuration or Evocation spells. This spell is usable once per day.

There are one power in this heroic path where it is possible to choose any spell (except Conjuration and Evocation) as spell like ability usable once per day.

Woof! That's a VPP with one Charge, isn't it?

Edit: Or, as IJ3 said.

This seems to be quite interesting power... how I can convert it in game terms:

Characters the mountainborn concealed can fire ranged weapons with impunity. When using the sniping action, such characters only suffer a –2 to their Hiding checks on the surprise round and first round of combat, rather than the usual –10. Each round, the penalty to Hide checks while sniping increases by 2, until it reaches the normal penalty of –10.

Situation where this power is needed... Mountainborn uses his power to help characters when hiding in ambush. Then Mountainborn activates this power and gives characters possibility to fire their bows and still stay hidded (if they succeed in Steal checks).

Skill Levels with Concealment, possibly Limited (but I'd say no).

Tell me more... :)

Spontaneous Spell:  Variable Power Pool, 40 base + 40 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Half-Phase Action (+1/2), No Skill Roll Required (+1) (90 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Special Effect No Conjuration or Evocation spells (-1/2)

I had to guess how the power worked in the original system. I assumed that it took the equivalent of a movement action to choose a spell to cast, and that conjuration and evocation spells were a large portion but not a majority of the spell list. If I was wrong, you'll need to adjust my suggestion. You may also need to change the active points to match the power of the spells you are converting.

Ok... here is the next issue. Seems to be rather hard to convert. Any ideas how these can be converted? Simplier the better I would say.

Animal Friend: Starting at 5th level, animals must make Will saves (DC 10 + character’s Cha modifier) each round in order to attack the naturefriend. In addition, the character gains a +4 bonus to all Handle Animal checks.

Plant Friend: Starting at 10th level, plant creatures must make Will saves (DC 10 + character’s Cha modifier) each round in order to attack the naturefriend. In addition, the character gains a +4 bonus to all Diplomacy checks against intelligent plant creatures.

Elemental Friend: Starting at 15th level, elementals must make Will saves (DC 10 + character’s Cha modifier) each round in order to attack the naturefriend. In addition, the character gains a +4 bonus on all Diplomacy checks involving elementals.

One with Nature: At 20th level, the naturefriend becomes intrinsically tied with nature. She may use commune with nature as a spell-like ability at will.

The Friend spells are basically Mind Control (one command only "Don't Hit Me") with an automatic Trigger whenever an animal comes near. And +10 PRE (only vs. <creature type>).

Commune With Nature was (IIRC) a wide-range but somewhat fuzzy "radar". So Detect Terrain/Creatures, Increased Arc of Perception, No Range Modifier, maybe with No Direction for some results. Making it a SLA just means that you don't have a lot of limitations attached to it (no END cost/charges/gestures etc.).

Thanks....hmmm... I have to figure out it a bit more.

Next "feat" is tricky one... I think that it should modified somehow to fit into Hero System, but how?

Retributive Rage: For the painless, the pain that should be caused by wounds are channeled into raw fury instead. Once per round when the painless suffers damage equal to twice his character level from a single attack, he may channel the pain it would cause. His next melee attack gains a bonus equal to his character level. If the painless does not make an attack on his turn, the rage dissipates. Multiple attacks in the same round that would cause retributive rage do not stack. For instance, a 4th-level painless might be hit by an orc’s vardatch for 11 points of damage at the beginning of the round, then suffer 19 points of damage from a fireball later in the round, both before his turn. On his turn, the painless still only gains a +4 bonus to his first attack roll. At 14th level, if the attack hits, the bonus is added to damage as well.

And next one is tricky too:

Ferocity: Starting at 5th level, the painless does not fall unconscious when below 0 hit points. He may continue to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.

Going with the spirit of things, I'd recommend the following:

Retributive Rage: Absorbtion to CSL. I wouldn't worry too much about "only for the next attack", just try to get the Fade Rate and the Maximum Effect at levels that feel appropriate. "Next melee" suggests an allover HTH CSL, but one that can only be used for attack (-1/2, similar to how Deadly Blow is built).

Ferocity: Tricky, as BODY/STUN behaves a bit differently from hit points. Being immune to knockouts is rather powerful, whereas in D20, you basically just get 10 bonus hit points. I'd just distribute a few points of REC and rather a lot of STUN along this path. Maybe you could do something conditionally, i.e. give REC +5 but only if STUN < 10.

Someone who can just take it cries out for more HERO-specific abilities alongst its path. Cannot Be Stunned or Damage Reduction seem possible, maybe even Takes No Stun in the "endgame" phase.

Maybe I will make ferocity as you suggested (don't have books with me now but...)

REC +5, +10 STUN, Trigger STUN <10 (no control, instant +3/4)(Active Points X)

retributive rage...hmmm you gave an idea. Is there some redirect power? Maybe delayed effect added to that redirect. Limitation (usable once per round). More powerful version will get additional Blast attack with d6 and next power level will get 2d6 instead?

You've already got a CSL, so just ditch the limit "just for attack" and make it "equally distributed amongst attack and damage". Probably more expensive than adding a HKA, but simpler, never mind that in HERO a +1d6 HKA is quite a bit more powerful than a few measly points added to damage in D&D 3E (I'd say that's true for most values, where D&D tends to be a bit more generous than Fantasy Hero).

And that "once per round" is really not worth the effort. I can understand the reason for the D20 limitation, where above a certain level you automatically get multiple attacks per round. Not so in HERO. Also, a few measly hit points won't really matter to a D&D Midnight character, whereas getting enough BODY to power your absorption will be a bit more devastating to your FH equivalent, even after defenses. So he might as well enjoy the +2 to hit for one or two turns.

A triggered +10 STUN feels a bit weird. For one, you still can be knocked out easily enough (dmg > 10), and some weak punches might actually invigorate you (e.g. when going from 11 to 9/19). Probably better going for defense here, instead of some quasi-healing. Non-resistant PD that only applies < X STUN?

• 4 weeks later...

I am back in business again... I have made some rules and done conversion. There are only few things to be done and then document conversion is done (I am still looking for voluntare people to review material and give some feedback).

I faced problems with following D&D Feats:

Commune ( http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Commune )

Divination ( http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Divination )

Legend Lore ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/legendLore.htm )

Vision ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/vision.htm )

Those are rather simple, but how I can convert those?

I faced new kind of problem with Spellsoul Heroic Path...how I should handle these "powers/feats":

2nd: Enlarge Spell—As the feat.

5th: Extend Spell— As the feat.

8th: Reduce Spell—All variable, numeric effects of a reduced spell are decreased by one-half. Areduced spell deals half as much damage as normal, affects half as many targets as normal, etc., as appropriate. Saving throws and opposed rolls (such as that made to overcome spell resistance) are not affected. Spells without random variables are not affected.

11th: Attract Spell—The spellsoul becomes the target of the spell being cast. In order for this ability to work, the spell must have a target (although the target can be an area, such as a fireball) other than the spellcaster and a range of Close, Medium, or Long. If both of these conditions are met, the spellsoul becomes the new target of the spell. Thus, if a legate casts cause fear on one of the spellsoul’s companions, the spellsoul may force the spell to target him instead. Area of effect spells still affect others, but are centered on the spellsoul.

14th: Empower Spell— As the feat.

17th: Maximize Spell— As the feat.

20th: Redirect Spell—The spellsoul may redirect the spell to any point within its normal range. In order for this ability to work, the spell must have a target (although the target can be an area, such as a fireball) other than the spellcaster and a range of Close, Medium, or Long.