WWYCD: The Unmasking

phydaux

Your character is out early one evening paroling Campaign City.  He comes across a fracas, and finds The Blue Mask in the middle of a dust up between some gang-bangers and some mafia-type goons.

The Blue Mask is a new but well known street-level villain with fingers in a lot of pies and a stated objecting of taking over all gang- and mafia- level crime in Campaign City.

Your character swoops in and drops some AOEs, sending the normals to la la land.  Blue Mask yells "Smoke Bomb!" and drops one of his trademark grenades, intending to have it yet again cover his escape into the shadows.  

Your character makes a calculated dive through the smoke and end up between Blue Mask and his escape.  You both throw a flurry of punches, and one of your uppercuts knocks off The Blue Mask's mask.  You look down and see clearly that

It's Roof Top Raider!  The Raider is a well respected street level hero, and a member of your super team.  

He tells you that this isn't what it looks like.  He created the Blue Mask persona in order to infiltrate the gangs and take them down from within.  He begs you not to turn him in to the police or to the others on the super team, because both have mafia informers on them.

What does your character do?

Cougar - Gives him the benefit of the doubt.

Riot - How do I get in on the action.

Stalwart - Gives him the benefit of the doubt and then prepares for the public relations fallout and legal consequences.

Blindside - Accepts his explanation and then shadows hoim for a couple of weeks just to be sure.

Steelwing/Gryphon - The novice hero follows protocol.

Safeguard - The teen hero lets him go, bit follows the Vigilantes/Villain's exploits before acting.

Whitestar - (see Blindside)

Cheers

QM

Quazar - "I understand perfectly.  Now let's go see what the Silver Avenger has to say about this."  If my team made didn't agree to go willingly to Primus HQ, Quazar would drag him there.

Mystica - "What am I doing here, in an alley, in the middle of the night?  What do I care if men steal pennies from one another?  There are unseen eldrich horrors that walk the earth and threaten men's very souls.  Go!  Be about your business and I will be about mine.  But beware!  The night is dark and full of terrors!"

Shadowhunter - "Need a partner?"

Knight Sabre - would raise one perfectly sculptured eyebrow and begin grilling him as to how exactly he thinks this is going to help. She dislikes chaos and undercover shenanigans on principle but would eventually seem to get talked around. Then she would start keeping tabs on Rooftop Raider. If he turned out to actually be going bad she will wait until he is making some grand gesture in front of the mobs and then take him down with excessive, unnecessary violence.

Dark Star - DS. is a lawyer in normal life. He would freak out. "What  the hell do you think you're doing? Do you know what sort of legal troubles you're getting yourself into? You're an unsanctioned vigilante, you can't go go all Donny Brasco. Real under cover agents get some leeway, you don't! Now stop being a bloody idiot!" He would suggest The Blue Mask have a very public demise somewhere where the body could believably get lost/be un-retreivable. If Rooftop Raider refused to go along with it DS. would wash his hands of the mess but make sure Raider has his number so he can reach DS. when it comes time to make his one phone call.

Super Blue would shake his head sadly. "Why didn't you clear this with the rest of us? I think you need to have a discussion with the others."

Coldsnap would drag his butt back to base and force the conversation to happen. If the team telepath said he was being honest, Coldsnap would arrange for him to escape custody.

Crystal Pheonix would use her magics to create a truth spell.

The Enigma would just read his mind and either use knock him out or let him go.

Merlin has done this all the time; playing a part to infiltrate an organization, and minor crimes are often to be winked at so the part seems more realistic. (I'm designing "blood bullets", coated with thin plastic which breaks on the skin with a bloody smear and even a little proud "skin", for exactly that reason, to fit into his Gadget VPP.) Still, he should have told somebody, outside the group or the force, just in case he got his tuchus arrested. He'd make a Persuasion roll in reverse, to ascertain his honesty.

Casey would be confused; he doesn't get human subtleties sometimes - of course, being the spirit of a foo-dog inhabiting a car will do that to you. To hium, you're either good or bad, with very little in-between. He'd probably ask for some concrete proof of his continued moral stability, or he would subject him to his patented "Door Smack" or "Rundown" combat maneuvers. (Think AOE Move-By- or Move-Through.) Smooth move, Roof Top Raider; now you've potentially ticked off a 2500-pound chunk of Sixties Chevy steel!