Detect Magic

phydaux

What does the 5 point power detect Magic actually give me or allow me to do?  

Do I actually have to touch an item to determine if it is enchanted?

I think that pg 149-150 of 6e Fantasy Hero were pretty explicit in what it can and can't do.

As for what sense Detect Magic uses as it's base. That's up to you when you create the spell. It can be based on sight, or touch, heck even hearing.

I'm sorry, I only have 5th ed books.

It helps the helpers to know what edition of the rules we are helping you with...

I'll bet you 2 xp that FH 5e says the same thing about Detect Magic Word for word... (humming as I pull the FH 5e book from the shelf... looking at the index...pg 113...says pretty much the same thing as 6e... so shocking... now pulling 5er off the shelf to look at detect...pg 162 Fifth Edition Revised rules... base detect must be in the same hex. The example is Detect magic bought at the base level. Apparently unless you buy "ranged" for the detect Magic you DO have to touch the item.

would have saved you a day if you looked into the rule book...

Basically, if you concentrate when magic is near (within touching distance), and if you make the roll, you can tell whether there really is magic there, and roughly how strong it is, and it's general flavor.

Well, you get the flavor if you put it in the Smell/Taste sense group.

This isn't something that changed from 5th to 6th.

When you define a new sense for your character like Detect, you have a choice about which "Sense Group" to put it in.

Detect Magic in the Sight Group lets you "see magic." You can sense it at Range, like anything else you see, and can probably learn to read the auras you see to determine some details ("No, it's not the flashy medallion, it's his tunic that has some kind of spell on it") but only if you're looking in the right direction, not in the dark or through smoke, etc.

Detect Magic in the Hearing Group lets you "hear magic." You can sense it at range, but might miss someone casting a spell in a noisy crowd or the middle of a battlefield. Oddly enough, it doesn't let you hear someone under an enchantment sneaking up behind you, which underscores that you just have to read the rules and see what each Sense Group gets you if you use it.

You also gain any special Sense Modifiers bought for the whole group. If your character is a werewolf with Tracking for Scent and put Detect Magic in the Smell/Taste group to "smell magic" then if you're following the trail of two bandits who stole a magic item and the trails part, you have a chance to know which one had the item.

If you use No Sense Group, then the ability has no Range - unless you buy Range for it. On the other hand, it will still work if you're blindfolded, in the middle of a screaming crowd, and have a stuffy nose from a cold.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Sense Group

It helps the helpers to know what edition of the rules we are helping you with...

I'll bet you 2 xp that FH 5e says the same thing about Detect Magic Word for word... (humming as I pull the FH 5e book from the shelf... looking at the index...pg 113...says pretty much the same thing as 6e... so shocking... now pulling 5er off the shelf to look at detect...pg 162 Fifth Edition Revised rules... base detect must be in the same hex. The example is Detect magic bought at the base level. Apparently unless you buy "ranged" for the detect Magic you DO have to touch the item.

would have saved you a day if you looked into the rule book...

The snark is strong in this one. :)

She's mad at me because I dissed one of her favorite authors in another thread.

You see, one time she was MY favorite author, but then she broke my heart...

No I am mad because you couldn't be bothered to look at the Fantasy Hero and 5th ed Revised Rulebook to find the answer that was easy for anyone to find. You just had to read the section in 5er about Enchanced Senses. Then you would have seen the example given for the exact spell you were asking about. All of the stuff Lucius posted was in 5er as well on the previous. I got snarky because you were poopy about me quoting 6e, like I could read your mind that you were looking for 5e help. Also it wasn't like 6e changed Enhanced senses at all.

It doesn't really bother me that you don't like Laurel's books. I obviously don't see any of the same "problems' that you have with them. Your loss.