Building a Skill Tree

I'm coming extremely close to doing that with my Jolrhos Fantasy Hero setting; releasing it as if its a game, but using the Hero system as the core.  So its got the full information you need to build and play, but specific to my fantasy setting, as if its a separate game.  Just Hero only for that setting instead of a game world using hero.  I'm hazy as to the legalities and interest Hero has in doing that kind of thing but I think its a valid concept that might actually appeal to players more.  You just need these books but once you know it, you can easily port into any Hero product.

I think a concept of "powered by Hero", where the game itself is designed using the Hero system, but the builds are not provided and the option of building other abilities, or tweaking those already built, is not discussed, would be a great use of Hero System licensing. You could probably build a very D&D-like structure, were you so inclined. It's what, 2,000 xp to go from L1 to L2 in DD? OK, award 100 "Game xp" to equate to one "Hero xp" and build the Second Level add-ons to cost 20 points.

You want it to cost 3,000 to go from 2nd to 3rd level, but the game play should be about the same? No problem - now 150 "game xp" = 1 "Hero xp", and the 3rd level add-ons are still worth 20 points in Hero. Of course, plenty of other approaches exist.

I take "closed" to mean that, instead of writing a supplement that says "use this with Hero" it instead acts as if its a new game, with all the rules, that are just Hero but tailored to and specific to that setting and game.

So, instead of "Fantasy Hero" which is how to use the hero system for fantasy, you have "Joe's Fantasy Setting" which presents the rules as if its a new game, but its just Hero, specific to Joe.

I don't know exactly what Steve means, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

I take "closed" to mean that, instead of writing a supplement that says "use this with Hero" it instead acts as if its a new game, with all the rules, that are just Hero but tailored to and specific to that setting and game.

So, instead of "Fantasy Hero" which is how to use the hero system for fantasy, you have "Joe's Fantasy Setting" which presents the rules as if its a new game, but its just Hero, specific to Joe.

I suggested something like on other threads with a blurb says if you want to see how this was built go here. And either a appendix in the book or online showing the hero reveal.

The real-world equivalent--you need to learn basic math before learning algebra; you need to learn algebra before learning calculus; calculus is a prerequisite for differential equations; etc.

WF Small Arms is arguably a pre-requisite for WF Heavy Machine Guns, WF Mounted weapons, WF Vehicle Mounted Weapons, etc.

I believe Narosia would be an example?

Maybe, you can borrow the Unusual Background drawback from GURPS.  It's basically for situations where a concept is rare but possible within a given campaign world.  Life for example, you want magic to rare but you don't it to be nerfed.  You might say that anyone with magic first has to buy the Unusual Background: Mage Blood for 15 pts; so, mages would have fewer points to be used in total, but if the rule is applied across all characters both PC and NPC, then the character would no advantage or disadvantage relative to other mages and would have access to powers and abilities not available to those who did not want to spend the points.  Of course, GURPS also has the notion of different magic zones that could either advantage or disadvantage magic users that is useful in determining the real power level of magic once the initial cost is taken out.