Penalty Skill Levels

Jrandom

I don't have my books in front of me right now but wasn't something like this done in Dark Champions with anti-Dodge levels (levels that only applied to negating a Dodge bonus)?

Regarding anti-Shrinking levels, I had the notion strike me of an elite unit of Giants trained to fight against Dwarves, or Humans fighting a war of extermination against Pixies.

Curious, can you use psl to offset the DCV bonus for shrinking?

Good question. In most cases, PSL's are applied against Penalties, (Hit Locations, Range, etc.) so I'd rule NO, because a DCV bonus isn't a Penalty as such.

However, it's possible to buy Combat Skill Levels with Limitations, such as Only vs. Bonus DCV from Shrinking. I'm not sure what that would cost....

Good question. In most cases, PSL's are applied against Penalties, (Hit Locations, Range, etc.) so I'd rule NO, because a DCV bonus isn't a Penalty as such.

However, it's possible to buy Combat Skill Levels with Limitations, such as Only vs. Bonus DCV from Shrinking. I'm not sure what that would cost....

I'd guess a -1 Limitation, depending on how common smaller enemies were. The Anti-Dodge levels I mentioned before have a -1/2 Limitation for only being able to counteract Dodge, per Dark Champions, which seems a little light to me.

So I assume that no one plays with random hit locations, since those GMs who are foolish enough to will have all their players spending 8 points to get their killing attacks to do 2x body and either 4x or 5x stun?

I have played with hit locations sinc eht 4th edition. i even used penalty skill levels vs hit location penalties before penalty skill levels existed as a thing. i have never had this problem. I think the most in targeting skill levels any of my players ever bought was +5. i think the usual was +3 to be able to target the chest location reliably to remove the possibility of hitting limbs and getting a lame stun multiplier.

I'd guess a -1 Limitation, depending on how common smaller enemies were. The Anti-Dodge levels I mentioned before have a -1/2 Limitation for only being able to counteract Dodge, per Dark Champions, which seems a little light to me.

The important factor when figuring the cost of skill levels vs. Dodge is that it's a basic maneuver which anyone can use, and therefore it's a very common DVC bonus. So those skill levels will see a lot of use, and the limitation is valued accordingly. In other words, not very high.