Using Susceptibility for Mental Blocks

Kristopher

Hmm... I could see this as a possible deterrent to a NPC who doesn't want to experience pain, but IMO it wouldn't do a lot to stop a PC from giving info that he or she feels is important - suffering to do the right thing is the essence of heroism. If you want a mental block that will actually prevent someone from spilling the beans, I'd suggest a Psychological Limitation at the desired level of intensity (Moderate, Strong or Total).

Ah, I get the idea. I can see how that would help keep the NPC's secrets from the heroes, especially if the NPC passes out - or dies (BODY damage) - if the interrogation or Mental Power use continues. In that case you should play up the effects of the Susceptibility to make it obvious that the character being questioned is suffering: screams, convulsions, perhaps even bleeding from ears and nose. That should deter all but the more ruthless and sadistic vigilante types. In fact if you have one or more of those among the PCs, the potential conflict between them and more kind-hearted heroes over this issue could make for some fine role-playing. :)

Originally posted by archer

I think it is an ingeniously cool idea that I have neither seen nor independently created in nearly 20 years of playing Hero.

I've used it in the past, and seen it used by others - implanted in agents of supervillainous types to prevent them from providing information to psionic characters when captured.

Great idea, though, as it presents a moral dilemma to most heroes.