Simplified Character Sheet

Christopher R Taylor

OK based on some ideas by people such as Teh Ebil Bunneh and others, I've been working on a super simplified Champions character sheet.  The idea is to present a stripped down, basic sheet with only the basics for new players to use.  There are no point values, everything is trimmed down to its simplest form.  Powers and other abilities are listed in a basic format with only the most critical information.

Attack maneuvers are listed as a skill roll (using the OCV+11-3d6 roll formula to result in a x or less roll), and complications are listed simply and some are referred to as "quirks" that are intended to help the player run that character.  The Quirks also give personality and background information for easier role play.

I've color coded various parts of the sheet so the GM can help people find things "Your OCV is in the bottom of the red section!"

In the end, it looks like this when filled out (in this case with a classic villain Brick, who was the origin of the "tough guy with strength" archetype for Champions:

55o0v4.jpg

This is intended for beginners, to help them get used to the character, but it would work well for convention games as well.  If I were to publish a Champions boxed set, it would include 10 or 15 of these printed out in various basic and familiar archetypes, at least some highly suggestive of familiar and well-liked established superheroes.  Attached is the blank pdf for printout if desired.

CharacterSheet.pdf

• 9 months later...

Anyone tried using this?

Lucius Alexander

I was going to and the palindromedary ate it

Not I Sir.

I have NEVER made a character that would fit on that small of a sheet even with the points removed.

I would have to write really small to just be able to fit everything on the orginal Champions 1e/2e sheets with fillable character portraits.

HM :)

I'm fond of the old "half-page" character sheets from the early editions.

The first column for characteristics, the second for powers and skills, and the third for Disadvantages/Complications.

It needs a little bit of fiddling around for 6e, but it still works.

Stick on a picture and the fluff text, and you're good.

It even includes the point totals, and can be set up as a spreadsheet for making design work easy.

OK, it's not so good if you like complex character designs, but mine tend to be brief and to the point.

I have NEVER made a character that would fit on that small of a sheet even with the points removed.

Hyper-Man I bet you'd be surprised.  You don't actually have to list some of the abilities at all: bonuses to CV, armor, etc.  Many advantages you can ignore as well, since this is a super stripped down introductory character, not a full sheet, and things like reduced END Cost don't matter (don't track END at first).  I've had to double up or more on skill lists, but you can put all the skills with the same roll on one line.